Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What Micke said. You won't even use 5% of the pads capability driving to work (since your car won't even be at operating temp), bu the cheapes pads ever and be happy. ;)

Some pads even wear more whan cold, Performance Friction pads seem to just EAT discs if they are driven cold or semi-cold, street driving that is.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Brakes

Post by MD »

jisop

Basically you should be getting the idea now. In Oz, Alfas come out typically with ATE pads and they do a good job for general application which is essentially what others are saying too ie. go original equipment.

As for Lucas,(and that include ANYTHING made by Lucas) well, let's put it this way, if it wasn't for liable laws, I'd telling you exactly what I think.

Apologies to any Lucas fans out there. May God have mercy on your souls. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
firefox
Silver
Silver

Post by firefox »

What about EBC pads?

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/part ... 87%2D90%29

Some guys I know have installed them on their cars and the perform as well as the Ferrodo DS2000.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

EBC "Brake Pads" are possible the worst crap you can spend money on. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

For any South African's,stick clear of Autobhan brake pads for your GTV's.These pieces of s*&^ destroyed my discs.Bedded them in for over 1000kms then took them out for a measely 2 laps of Zwartkops and had brake fade. :evil: I pulled into the pits with smoke billowing from the fronts and the brake pad material fell out next to both front wheels as if you were laying a gun powder trail. :shock: Drove home using my hand brake :cry:

I use Ferodo Premium front and rear and are easily the best brake pads for street/track day use for the standard brake set up on a GTV6 in my humble experience.

ATE's fade within 5 laps compared to about 10 laps for Ferodo Platinum,but on the Premium brake pads ( They come packed in a red box. ) I have gotten 30 laps without problems.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Front Brake Pad Recomendations

Post by GTV27 »

any update on the latest and greatest brake pads for GTV6 (standard rotors and calipers)?

fast road and fun track days only

default setting will be DS2500 (have experimented with EBC Green and Race Brakes RB74 but was not thrilled by either - too little 'bite')

MD told me about his trick pads - but i forgot the name, so feel free to remind me! :wall:
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I don;t know if Porterfield makes the R4S pad for Alfa? R4S has excellent bite and maintains this bite on fun track days for my other car. They are awesome on the road. Not much dust either...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

DS2500 have worked for me on road and trackday . DS 3000 for race only.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

I use Porterfield R4S for an unmodified GTV6 for track and street. That and Motul 600 RBF fluid solved all of my brake fade problems. I also added a heat shield to the exhast system where it runs near the rear caliper. My stopping distance lap after lap is now only tire limited(Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S, 205/60-R15) Of course, on the street you must be a bit careful until you get some heat into them. Dust is minimal, rotor wear is normal. ( I am not a brake guru, these are just my expriences.)

Pads can be bought from http://www.performatek.com in the US(no affliation) and I am sure from other suppliers.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yes I'm another fan of Porterfield's products.I run the R4 on the track and they are beyond reproach.Once they're warm they bite well and are very progressive.They last a long time and don't consume rotors .not Brembos anyway :D
A note of caution on the R4S pads.I normally run them on the street and last year I got lazy and kept them in for the track.They performed fairly well but at the end of the day I noticed that they had "baked" and were falling apart,particularly the rears which tend to get stinking hot.So they're probably OK for light track use but The R4 is the superior racing pad.
By the way I'm also a big fan of Andy and Performatek so if you go with the Porterfields get them from him.He's earned the business.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jason,

Here's your reminder

Best kept secret in Oz.

http://www.qfmbrakes.com.au/index.html

Go through the temps and friction ratings to pick the one that suits you.The race brews work well but are fairly rotor aggressive but in my view that sort of goes with the territory.

Its a bit like sex, you gotta have genitals. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

thanks - dust is no bother, what I want is BITE!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre