MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Storing brake calipers

Post by MALDI »

I just had the front brake calipers replaced on my GTV6 with remanufactureed units. The original units were sticking and dragging the pads on the rotors.

I'd like to store the original ones in my basement for future rebuild.

What is the best way to store them? I want to store them in such a way as to keep from making the future rebuild any harder than it needs to be.

1) Put them on the shelf as is and forget about it.
2) Drain out all the brake fulid. Purge calipers with solvent to make sure all the (moisture absorbing) brake fluid is gone. (Which solvent: ethanol? turpentine?)
3) Disassemble and clean everything. Leave disassembled until ready to rebuild.
4) Rebuild them now for future use. Only rebuilt calipers can succesfully be stored.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Storing brake calipers

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Put them in a bucket filled with old oil... :wink: they won't rust or get stuck that way.

option 3 is best in my book, just put a lot of grease on all bare metal components and make sure you keep al the parts together. Also buy the rebuildkit now but leave it in the sealed bag untill you need the callipers. this because maybe the rebuild kit will be no longer available in a few years. :(
Drive it like you stole it...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

My suggestion is a little different.

Do not use old oil as this has a lot of sulphuric acid in it derived from the fuel. It may lead to corrosion or pitting.

Clean parts in two stages. First remove all external dirt and grime with a solvent based cleaner.
Wash off with water. Blow dry. Second, wash all caliper internals with methylated spirits. Blow dry.
Place all metal parts in a 50% solution of Valvoline, Tectyl 506. Place on dry rack. When dry, place all components in sealable plastic bags and label the parts. When it comes to reuse, wash all parts in mineral turpentine numerous times until all residue of preservative is gone. Finally rinse in methylated spirits and blow dry. Assemble by using small amount of rubber grease or fresh brake fluid.

Buy rubber kit while stocks available. Place in double sealable bags. You need to keep Ozone out as it kills rubber big time. Label and keep with caliper kit. Install a paper diagram in the bag of how it all fits together so when Alzheimer's kicks in 5 years hence, you will remember how it all goes back together again and all you will need to remember is WTFK you put it for storage but the answer to that is simple.

Just tie a string around your old fella with a note. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Looks like I have another winter bench top project for myself.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9