Spike Spiegel
Silver
Silver

ANSA exhaust vs. stock sound?

Post by Spike Spiegel »

Hey all!

Want to replace the aging stock rear exhaust on my 1985 GTV6.

Considering the ANSA Performance replacement (ANSA #2427, IAP #662427), and wondered if anyone has run this pipe?

Anyone experienced the difference in the exhaust note ... and whether folks prefer stock or the ANSA (or some other non-stock) rear exhaust?

I like the stock sound, but perhaps I would like the ANSA even more?

Opinions?

- Spike
See you, space cowboy ...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Spike I have the Ansa on my 86 GTV6 2.5L and if you're after a moderate "improvement" in volume it's a good choice.
Last year I "lost" my cat 8) and the sound is just about what I would describe as perfect Italian V6 music.
For the track I replace the Ansa with a straight pipe in the hope of intimidating Honda's and VW's - sometimes it works :evil:
I run a stock AR center muffler.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Spike Spiegel
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tip ...

Post by Spike Spiegel »

Murray:

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

She is my first Italian, and I am definitely head-over-heels!

I am not too concerned one way or the other with overall "volume" - so much as I am with the "tune it plays" ... if it sounded like SPeed Racer's Mach 5 I would be just fine! :-)

(As a side note ... I wonder if anyone ever figured out what car they sampled for that cartoon ...)

By the way, when your cat got lost, what did you do to fill the void? Did you replace that entire segment with an off-the-shelf exhaust section, or did you have something fabbed for the place where the cat lived?

Other opinions on exhasut notes still welcomed!

- Spike
See you, space cowboy ...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Spike you don't have to worry about excessive volume with the Ansa.It is just fine for street use.
To replace my cat I used AR european standard downpipes which consist of a small resonator and a flexible joint.They don't come with provision for an O2 sensor so I welded one in.I am very pleased with this mod.Fortunately we don't have emission testing where I live :D
These pipes can be obtained from any AR parts distributor as they are used on all non-cat European GTV6's and Milano/75's.They do require slight modification to fit N.A. factory cat. cars as follows:

-shorter manifold bolts because N.A.cars had a spacer between the downpipe and manifold to lower the exhaust so the cat.would fit.
- 3" extension welded on the ends that meets the center exhaust section which is shorter on cat equiped cars.
Attachments
EURO.jpg
EURO.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

NICE! We don't have emission testing here in good old Michigan. I just got a set of cast Fe headers. I was going to bend up some SS tube for down-pipes, straight through, no cats, and weld in a bung for O2. Summit Racing has many flanges and tube sizes in SS.
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

won't a nicely tuned alfa v6 run clean enough to pass emmisions with out a cat.

Hey X-rad hows that ecu working for ya
Drive'm Hard
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Started right up this AM!!!
Thanks VERY MUCH!!