junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Also, where are you located (points to availability of 24 valve cores...?)
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry: The idea of a big displacement motor with S cams is to create a motor that will be expandable in the future within a current budget. Not to build the hottest thing ever. When working on a budget it's best to sink the money into the short block, heads and cams are easy to upgrade later.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Greg,I agree with you..not the way I would go about it personally though..
Cams are freely available at almost no money..We all know how these motors respond to a cam change,like no other motor I know of..
Using that as a basis on which to build an engine,I would then keep the 3.0l capacity and put some money into a set of cams..

Mr Streetfame says it in header..he wants to max the motor within his budget..this is my interpretation of it..yours is the above probably..
If it were me,Id go for that Greg Gordon guy`s s/c setup..Im being serious here..
In the same breath id once again look at our "group 1 " cam for the s/c setup as well..I dont know if you have looked at,or used an upgraded cam yet,but it works on the turbo`s Ive done..dramatically so..On this basis again,I would love to have your s/c and play further with the engine,cams,breathing etc..

On a serious note,I realize I have to chill on these forums..Its supposed to be fun and informative,isn it?? :D

One day Ill get that s/c from you...
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Streetfame. Get a blower, and do yourself some mods in the right spots, and at 7 psi, you will have smooth torque for 3/4 of the rpm range, and top end that serious cams and big RPM (that costs reasonable in terms of rod work and balancing) give you. Once that thing is set up, and you're used to the HP (You WILL get used to it), then change the pulley and get some more boost out of it. You will run out of transaxle before you run out of HP availability.

The other side there Baz, and Greg, is that you've both done enough for everyone to sit up and take notice of your opinions now. Same with JimK, Mats and Micke, not to mention Chen and AndrewB who have all got psyhco things going on as well... so speak your, mind guys.

I remember the old forums...not to take it out of anyone who was there, but from an Alfa perspective, there wasn't too much going on that was all above board. It was a bit of "Im going S Cams on my 164 12v, with XX Brand Pipes, and a BMW AFM...." good budget stuff, but hardly the type of work that stirs fear in the hearts of our Blue and White propeller rivals, or our boosted japanese tearaways. From memory, the first people to really have serious performers on that forum (12 sec quarter capable) where Brian Berger and Paul Kretzas. Both with four cylinders. The V6s didnt do too much, other than sound nice and give us reasonable performance. Now, after owning one the quicker 2.5s around, I know that there is no substitute for cubes.
Except boost

Then you SartEfrikans came on over and made things a little more volatile. The way I like it.
Fixing it bit by bit....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Streetfame,

I tend to agree with Greg-G. Why not work on the short block first. Get a 164S block (has oil squirters), line bore the block, get forged rods and 10.5:1 JE pistons. Why 10.5:1? It leaves some room for boost. If you go with 11:1 you will have very little margin of error to work with when you boost your engine.

The pistons and the rods alone will cost $2.5K. Why forged rods? Because you build it once and you can go either way (high revving N/A or boost to the max) and you know it will take the punishment. Once you do this, the short block can be left alone for, pretty much, the rest of its life.

Then for the heads, just the typical port job and maybe S cams for now.

Look into headers and programmable EFI. I'm very pro getting a programmable EFI.