Cannibal
Silver
Silver

Post by Cannibal »

Dennis wrote:Bumpers........

I can get you some used bumpers, but I'm a bit worried about shipping from the Netherlands to the US. It probably is quite expensive.

How many of you guys need euro bumpers? Shipping would be less expensive if more of you need them. They don't weigh that much...... Hell, with some luck I can even get you a set in the color of your car :wink:

Let me know, maybe we can arrange something here.
I'll hit you up PM...
zambon
Verde
Verde

lightweight bumpers

Post by zambon »

I am planning to have my Evo kit copied by (Milano owner) Scott Potter in Texas. He will use lay the glass up by hand and vacuum bag the parts to achieve a very light result. I am very excited because I expect very good results.
He will make extra copies to recoup for the cost of making the molds. I think he would sell individual parts of the kit too (for those who want lighter bumpers). Things are in their infancy right now, but I will post a separate thread about this when I have something substantial to report.
James
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

What is the target price for the copied Evo kit? What about copy-rights?

FYI, the Evo kit (from Italian Lester) is available in the US again. I think the first set of orders will arrive in 6-8 weeks.

Though, I don't know if it is particular light, except for being of fiber glass.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I dont know the target price. I am hopeing for around $1500 or less, but it will not be up to me. The copies will be superior to the original kit from a performance perspective, since they will be much lighter. They will also be far more labor intensive to produce.
The Lester kits will be significantly heavier since they are made in regular production (fiberglass chopper gun). I am sure, however, that the Lester bumpers would still be far lighter than US stock bumpers.
As far as Copyrights go, I am no lawyer. This is not going to be a big commercial venture. Just a few sets of hand made parts made to help divide the mold costs.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

What kind of weight advantage are you expecting for the bumpers compared to the Lester kit?
Jes
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

It would be serious speculation to put a number on the weight difference. It would depend on many variables. In my experience, however, I have found chopper spray gun fiberglass parts to be similar weight to sheet metal. I have seen the fiberglass parts made by Tom Zat, and I thought that his fiberglass hood was heavier than a stock hood. In fairness, it had a raised center like a GTV6.
I dont mean to sell this kit too hard. I think that the kit looks better than the Lester kit, but that is subjective. I think it will weigh less, but I cant say exactly how much until the parts are finished and somebody weighs the Lester kit. I am confident that this kit will cost less than the imported Lester kit (no small feat considering that the Lester is mass produced). That said, it is premature to say how much the price difference would be.

When I bought this kit, there was no other kit available to buy in the US. I thought it would be good for everybody if the kit was reproduced so that we can all have the option to buy it. Now it seems that another person intends to offer a similar item. If the other parts are nice and easy to buy, I am not going to complain and say that the other stuff is junk or that only that which I am partial to is worthy of note. The parts in question dont even exist on US shores yet. The parts I am talking about have yet to be made.
I am so personally excited about this kit that I intend to get a copy made for each of my cars. I dont intend to fit the original kit, because I feel that the copies will be significantly lighter (the original kit was made with a chopper gun).
I just thought that the people on the board would want the heads up on this project before they make any big purchases.
Thanks all for the responses, I will be glad to answer questions if I can. I just dont want to make any big promises prematurely.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Makes sense - I'm just very curious about your project!

So, if it looks better than the Lester kit, it must be different from the Evo kit - no? Any pics? Somehow I thought that your starting point was a Lester Evo kit, but then you should be able to weigh the Lester kit and compare when you are all done.

Jes
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I believe that my kit is an Alfa Romeo 75 Evolutione (sp). The Lester, as I understand it, is a similar looking kit based on the Evolutione aesthetic. I have been told by a few people who have seen them side by side that the Lester kits, while nicer than USA stock, do not look as good as the 75 Evolutione. Also, the Evolutione was designed to minimise drag compared to stock. It is said to successfully achieve this.
The Lester kit may provide aero advantages as well, but I dont think that the lower splitter goes down as low as the 75 Evolutione kit.
I am not the foremost expert on the differences between these kits, so please judge my statements accordingly. My kit is the one that Anthony Rimicci was selling for so long. I am the one who bought it from him.

Jes,
Thank you for showing interest in this project. I am not trying to be evasive to your questions. I just dont want to do too much grandstanding until there are actual finished parts to judge. :wink:
James
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I understand - just trying to squeeze as much out of you as possible :wink:

Hmm, the Lester Evo kit should be the 75 Turbo Evo kit - not a cheap knock-off. That's what I was told. In fact, I believe that Anthony's kit is originally from Ricambi, and as such, is indeed the Lester Evo kit - if I got it right.

Keep in mind that Lester makes a number of kits for the 75/Milano (as well as for the Alfetta GTV/GTV6) - among them some that are not that pretty, IMO.

Regardless, I'm very curious to learn of your findings on this project.

Jes
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Anthony told me that the kit (yes it is from Ricambi) was made from genuine Alfa molds. The kit even comes with the Evolutione stickers. He never mentioned anything about it being a lester kit.
I will look at my old messages and see if I can clarify things at all...
I will also get the link to photos of my kit.
I really dont know what the Lester stuff is or isnt. I just know what people have said to me about the matter.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I found the message that Anthony sent me about the origin of my kit. Maybe this will help:

The kit is one of the ones that Alfa Ricambi was producing from original molds back in the early 1990's. We bought it for a customer who never came for it and it's been sitting in our shop for almost 10 years.

I'll let you know when it ships out. I even have the "Evoluzione" decals that go along the sides. I'll throw those in the box too.

Anthony

Hmm...Evoluzione, not Evolutione.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Interesting. I guess we will eventually find out if they are the same. My understanding is that the Evo kit from Lester should be the same as the kit on the Alfa 75 Turbo Evoluzione. We shall see.

Regardless, it sounds like you have the real deal!

Jes
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Regardless of weather the Lester stuff is the ¨real deal,¨ I am sure that it is extremely nice. I would have bought the Lester kit for sure if it had been available and Anthony´s kit had not been. Both provide what most of us are after: the opportunity to get rid of one of the main blemishes that curse milanos (the ugly and heavy accordian bumpers).
The fist time I saw a 75 without those accordians, I knew that it was my top priority to get rid of the USA bumpers.

One difference to note about the the kit that I am involved in is that it will have one piece replacement fenders with integrated flares. This will cut down on weight and allow fitment of larger front wheels. It will also reduce the ammount of work required to fit the kit. ( I have heard that it is very bothersome to fit the Evo flares).
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Out of curiosity: What are you planning to do with the rear fenders? Metal work to equally allow increased space (for wheels/tires)?
Jes
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I was planning to cut away some of the metal under the flare to make some extra space if I needed to. I have yet to run into tire fitment problems because I have only used conservative tire sizes up to this point.
I am under the impression that the tightest spot is in the front wheel wells.