benc
Silver
Silver

Oil in my exhaust fumes ?

Post by benc »

Hi.. My 84 Gtv6 runs very nicely and feels very strong, tight and powerful... I admit I have been driving her hard the last couple of weeks due to good weather..
As you can see in my pics the rear of my car gets very easily covered in black sooty oil... Lots of it . Also a cloud of black smoke when changing gear ... She burns a little oil but not a huge amount..

Anyone care to tell me the fault causing this mess....

Regards
Attachments
black] 002.jpg
black] 002.jpg (134.13 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
black] 004.jpg
black] 004.jpg (172.84 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

keep in mind that the draft under ANY car can and will windage the oil onto the tail...had a 69 dodge van with a leaky engine and side exit exhaust that could oil soak the entire rear of the van...

personaly id lift the car up and clean the underside of the engine then go for a hard drive and lift it again and have a look for leaks
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

your pipes look very sooty, looks like the pipes are full of oily soot, perhaps you are running way rich, pull a couple of plugs to confirm. How old is the exhaust? when I last changed to Ansa twins, the old exhaust was chucking out all sorts of rubbish.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Doubt it's oil from your exhaust. Too hot and would burn up. If it was oil in the exhaust pipe, you would have some massive failure by now. Probably as stated above....a combination of rich running (O2 sensor bad?) and a leaky gasket in the engine....

OR...since you said you have not been using much oil, better check your transaxle!
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Have you checked your cv joint boots? If those went there would be a unique smell as it hit the exhaust and a huge mess under the car.... not to mention the back... my ronal rims have huge "windows" and believe me it is a pain in the butt to clean all that grease off... then again it could just be leaky oil!
I just love alfa headaches... err heartaches.... aw screw it.... PAINS IN MY ASS
:lol: !
Vittorio