SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Spot On Z... but also, not too right-

Check my link out CC... Ive done burnouts worse than that before (and not just once)- like dropping it in first, taking it out left into a question mark, grabbing second, and keeping it going into helis and figure 8s

I have blown donuts and a driveshaft CV boot, but the diff is fine, and as far as donuts go, Im revving it pretty hard, so whogivesashit- I mean, Ive blown one donut since I had the engine in- about three years ago, and I dont exactly bounce the thing off its 8.2k limit everytime I drive it, so theyre fine for a fair bit of abuse!

When you get an isostatic link, you will enjoy the change to the drive.

I am making me want to do more burnouts :roll: What's a boy to do?
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 time

Post by cchan »

WOW :o

Thats what I want my Alfa to do :o. You got me excited now :D. I am having the time of my life restoring my Alfa and dreaming of the possiblities. :idea:
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks- I like the vid too- I was pretty hungover when i did it hehehe
The cars will take a fair bit of punishment, but dont expect them to do it once a week for a year without breaking!

Yeah If you look around you will see I do alot of dreaming too! :oops:

Most of it unhealthy, and unrealistic! I like the idea of something unique, and I want to prove a point and show some V8s and Jappers where to go... in a straight line, around a corner, and with my left foot on the brake and the right foot chalking the rears.

I bought a Twinspark to turbo before chickening out due cost.... in hindsight, a mildly turboed TS wouldve proven to be a great car to drive, and the gains down the track wouldve been easy to achieve.

There isnt much to do to my 2.5 without spending $$$ and Im already in debt 50k for my study, with more to come....

Advice from me is get that vision clear, and prep everything around it- get your body sorted... get the brakes how you want them, get race-oriented stuff that will last longer than street stuff, and give you less hassle- braided brake lines, good discs, new bushes, 105 castor rods (excellent mod BTW), possibly RSRacing coilovers, vented rear discs... etc

take longer to do it right now, and enjoy it for longer without looking at the forum and going "Fuck me dead, wish I did that while the thing was apart"

And when you pick an engine combo, justify it to yourself realistically-
There's a wealth of information to be had by asking, and no one minds answering (Except Mats- but he just pretends to not like answering, right Mats :wink: )
An example, if my car was a 950kg caged racer with one seat running on slicks, my engine would be a dream... so maybe that's what I should be looking at doing with it- but my car has a sunroof.... and I dont own another car
Little things like that all stand in the way if you dont think about it properly first time around!
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Daniel wrote:I did some quick and dirty calcs for my 84 GTV when it gets the 24v in it.
Based on torque, weight, gearing and tyres and of course how nasty you are when you launch it, I think mine should go 0-100 km/h in a flyshit under 6 seconds and do a standing 1/4 mile breaking into the 13s (13.9999 :lol: )
Proof is in the testing once the car is together but check out what any other car with 5.5 to 6.2 kg/kW can do and it'll be around that.
Should be enough to keep most of the local V8 boys honest and then we get to the first corner :twisted:
Come out and play.. I've got 410kw (currently, next motor will have 450kw) and 1500kg.... I do miss the way my GTV handles, but once you've had serious amounts of power its hard to go back.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

SydneyJules wrote:Spot On Z... but also, not too right-

Check my link out CC... Ive done burnouts worse than that before (and not just once)- like dropping it in first, taking it out left into a question mark, grabbing second, and keeping it going into helis and figure 8s

I have blown donuts and a driveshaft CV boot, but the diff is fine, and as far as donuts go, Im revving it pretty hard, so whogivesashit- I mean, Ive blown one donut since I had the engine in- about three years ago, and I dont exactly bounce the thing off its 8.2k limit everytime I drive it, so theyre fine for a fair bit of abuse!

When you get an isostatic link, you will enjoy the change to the drive.

I am making me want to do more burnouts :roll: What's a boy to do?
Totally, agree. Check out my race videos and look for slow shifts and gentle changes between 1-2. I don't think you will find any. 8)
More like 5K-clutch dumps off the line and shifts as fast as I can move my hand between all gears, ok I toe-heel going down through the gears but that is because I don't wanna lock up the rears releasing the clutch.
SydneyJules wrote: There's a wealth of information to be had by asking, and no one minds answering (Except Mats- but he just pretends to not like answering, right Mats :wink: )
Yeah, yeah, I'm not the smoothest talker I agree. :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

SydneyJules wrote:take longer to do it right now, and enjoy it for longer without looking at the forum and going "Fuck me dead, wish I did that while the thing was apart"
I know this feeling :)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

The original article by car and driver states that it had 230hp. It did 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. 300hp should dro it to mid 5's
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

http://www.youtube.com/v/BXAzAmcIfO4

My car, near 7 seconds.

Recorded with a mobile phone, bad quality and bad start.

3 liter engine.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Luis, I liked the video.

Period magazine articles are all over the place for GTV6 0-60 times. They seem to average in the high 8s for a 4.10 transaxle car. That seems about right to me. I timed my supercharged GTV6 in the mid 6s this summer with 193 rwhp. Of course so many factors effect that, temperature, humidity, road surface, level of abuse on launch, etc. that the time is really kind of meaningless. For meaninful results I prefer a car vs. car acceleration contest. I have found that the car will beat a lot of cars that magazines say should be faster based on their published times. However there are others that it can't beat...yet.
My car has beaten:
WRXs in various situations.
RX8 in a stop light drag race
350Z automatic acclerating from highway speeds
It will not beat a Cobalt supercharged in a stoplight drag race which is frustrating for me. The Cobalt uses a 3.5 first and a 4.05 final drive with large P zeros traction control and 226 front wheel horsepower. The gearing advantage it has is massive.

I am currently taking care of this problem.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Greg Gordon wrote:I am currently taking care of this problem.
Ahahahahahahahaha! Absolutely classic!! :lol:

There are very few people I know of who approach it with such grace, as if it was a mudane annoyance such as an ARC light coming on when it shouldn't. Go for gold Greg!! :twisted:

Be sure to keep us informed...then add it to your shop ;)

ROKCO N
R~R
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg Gordon wrote:
Greg,

Stuffing potatoes in other people's exhaust is not allowed.

:lol:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Zamani wrote:
Greg Gordon wrote:
Greg,

Stuffing potatoes in other people's exhaust is not allowed.

:lol:
Ah, a version of Trunk Monkey (tm) no doubt. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That would take a lot of potatoes, there are a lot of those supercharged Cobalts out there.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Ben,
Let me redo that - "Should be enough to keep a few of the local boys (who are not Ben Bishop) honest and then we get to the first corner :twisted: "
75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

What is a Cobalt ? :?
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS