AlfaBeta
Silver
Silver

upgrading connecting rods

Post by AlfaBeta »

Hi gang,

Getting ready for a full engine rebuild (Milano verde) in preparation for one of Greg's superchargers. I've been thinking about the best way to upgrade the connecting rods and it seems like forged are the best to go. Does anybody have any experience with a company that has made these for an Alfa V6? I found a lot that have made "big bock Chevy" type rods but nothing with imports.
I also thought about having the stock rods shot peened. Any opinions?

thanks
AlfaBeta
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Forget stock rods unless you use new GTA...

Pauter and Carrilo make for our cars...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry, I think stock rods shot peened are fine as long as you don't go crazy with power or exceed the factory redline. If you want 350rwhp or even 300rwhp with a 7000 RPM redline then better rods are a must.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

FYI - just posted this elsewhere...

Fred Carrillo makes a great connecting rod - we have used them in several V6 Alfa applications as well as in some turbo-charged Alfa 4s (also in 4 mean little naturally aspirated Alfa 4-bangers - posted here elsewhere...)

Problem for me is that his rods have become pretty expensive as the company gained momentum over the years. (Anywhere from 260 to 360 dollars per rod now - depending on new orders vs. NOS etc)

There is also Farmdon and Arrows out of the UK; great products - cant argue with the British engineering, but due to the weak dollar they are even more expensive! I know that they have done V6 Alfa rods.

Eagle makes a good, local, cost-effective rod. Don't know if they have ever done and Alfa rod however, it isn't brain surgery to simply send them a sample rod and to have them replicate it. Although, first orders are usually pretty expensive with most any custom rod/piston/ring manufacturer; the per unit cost declines as quantities increase.

Since you are talking about a one-off for yourself, this may still place you right back in to the Carrillo cost-range...

I know Don Pauter and his wonderful products pretty well by now. He has produced several different iterations of V6 rods for us - with GREAT success - and we have NEVER had one fail. We're running 300 to 425 naturally aspirated horses as well as 500 plus horsepower twin turbos through them without a problem to-date. We are running them in everything from naturally aspirated to turbo-charged 12 valve and 24 valve applications ranging from 2.5 litres to 3.0 to 3.45 to 3.7 litres without any problems.

As a side-note; it is nice to know that between my 100mm Ross Racing forged aluminium alloy pistons, a forged steel chrome molly tapered pins, Total Seal rings and the Pauter rods, the total combined weight of eah 100mm bore assembly is LESS than that of the stock Alfa rod and 93mm piston combination, even includin the larger bore!

I even have a jobber-card open for a special Alfa V-6 rod - longer for more leverage on the crank - M5 BMW bearing seats and big-end dimensions, (same length as the M5 - longer than the Alfa), but with the Alfa small-end dimensions - installed on a .30 over-sized cut Alfa V6 crank!

Anything is possible.

I have a jobber-card open with Pauter and would be happy to purchase an additional set for you of any spec along with my next order (going in soon...)

$1,320 delivered to your door for the set includes shipping.

Lemme know - buzz me at 425.941.4747 or email me at john@reginaceleste.com

(Gotta run! I think I see the "commercial interest" -police comming... Bad-boys-Bad-boys - whatcha gonna do-o! Watcha-gonna do-a-when they come fo-you...!?)
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...