GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Rookie thanks very much man. We all must meet up at an Alfesta or something, that would be great. But damn Brisneyland is faraway from melbourne. Anyway will work something out in the future for sure. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Garth, great project. I believe you should use an ECU that at anytime(working hours) you can get spares or a relpacement ecu if yours is damaged(rain, power etc). Im not mentioning any brands as I have three different types in my cars(all of them brilliant with immediate back up service). Nothing worse than having a problem and you cant just trailer the car down to the local dyno shop and getting it sorted out. You have so many exceptional makes there which will all do the job. Bottom line use people who will give you great service and are familiar with the characteristics of the Alfa motor when dynoing .
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

GarthW wrote:Hey Rookie thanks very much man. We all must meet up at an Alfesta or something, that would be great. But damn Brisneyland is faraway from melbourne. Anyway will work something out in the future for sure. :wink:
Haha I'm in Brisbane and even I'm not making the trek up to the Sunshine Coast for it! I think I may go up for one day, but I'd honestly rather spend $600 to go somewhere I don't holiday regularly, so maybe next year.

ROCK ON
R~R
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hmm, maybe a meet in Sydney...? We could meet up with some alfa members/forum members there, have a track day and a cruise or 3?

Anyway, something to think about... :idea:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Actually there's a scheduled meet in September, the Alfa Romeo East Coast Challenge at Wakefield Park in Goulburn - Sept 20-21.

I'm not too sure on the requirements for participation, but last year it at Queensland Raceway and was supposed to be a blast.

Something to consider anyway...I'll stop hijacking your thread!

ROCK ON
R~R
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

And mine is now out of storage and back on the road- If Im in Sydney in Sept, and not up north, I will def. come on down for that!

She's looking nice Garth... keep em coming!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Joolzzz,get my e-mail?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

I'll be there for sure! I didn't know about that meeting. I'm only 45 minutes down the highway.
Anyway, back to your build.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Rookie that meet sounds good, will consider for sure.

Jules thanks, yeah is coming along well, and will post more pics soon of manifold and stuff.
Engine has taken forever for the liners were very corroded and took awhile to take out. When in Nth Qld the water up there is crap and very dirty, i'd recommend to anyone to put bottled water in their cars rather than use tap water from up there. Or if just driving from interstate then water from home.
The liners looked as though they had been at the bottom of the ocean, and alot of sand in the water jackets. Still that engine gave me over 300,000kms and went very well still before i pulled her off the road for rebuilding.

Anyway liners have been machined, so engine not faraway. i'm putting manifold together this weekend, i've had my flanges laser cut, 3-1 collectors for new 2-1 manifold design are in dummy position so just have to make pipes to fit and tig it all up. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Rookie that meet sounds good, will consider for sure.

Jules thanks, yeah is coming along well, and will post more pics soon of manifold and stuff.
Engine has taken forever for the liners were very corroded and took awhile to take out. When in Nth Qld the water up there is crap and very dirty, i'd recommend to anyone to put bottled water in their cars rather than use tap water from up there. Or if just driving from interstate then water from home.
The liners looked as though they had been at the bottom of the ocean, and alot of sand in the water jackets. Still that engine gave me over 300,000kms and went very well still before i pulled her off the road for rebuilding.

Anyway liners have been machined, so engine not faraway. i'm putting manifold together this weekend, i've had my flanges laser cut, 3-1 collectors for new 2-1 manifold design are in dummy position so just have to make pipes to fit and tig it all up. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

I wouldn't put water in them at all, I just use a premix radiator coolant
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Damn Alfettish of course coolant with water lol.:D
But i've always bought coolant where you add water.

Good water :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Just afew more pics with turbo and 3-1 collectors dummy fitted for pipe placement.

Sorry dont have pics of collectors here.
Will post those along with manifold pics later.

Air scoop custom made, dummy fitted before paint.

Here's pics of 3-1 collectors.

Build is going slowly for i still dont have engine yet.
Guy who does mandrel bends is away on holiday,so frustrated
to say the least. As soon as manifold is done, its off for tuning.

3" dump from turbo, which is nice and straight before any bends.
I've noticed alot of turbo dump pipes which have a sharp almost 90deg bend in them in magazines, etc. One thing i've managed is to have smooth flowing bends from both sides of intercooler to turbo and throttle body. Same with manifold which has equal length runners from block, and from pipes/pipe which meets turbo.

Bov tigged in. Had alot of silicone in the alloy, so welding not much fun, also because bov bracket must be flush with inside of pipe, so abit of filling had to be done, but now its in perfect position.

More pics soon, hope y'all like!

Selling 1985 GTV6.

SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Dude. Awesome
Fixing it bit by bit....
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Thanks Jules, look forward to meeting you one day in Sydney man, will be driving up there maybe late in year, or early next. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.