junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Re:

Post by junglejustice »

Greg Gordon wrote:Thanks Slyalfa, That's exactly the informative type of post that makes this forum what it is. Greg
Accept that it won't work - the ring-gear hits the water-pump above it on a Milano or GTV6 12 valve motor... On top of that the Milano/GTV6 pulley has a balance-factor cut-out section at the back where the ring-gear would go that's thinner than the Alfa 164 tone-wheel! You have to get into quite a bit of machining to make them all fit together and even then, I doubt it...

Given that you have to do all that, the cleaner way is to go with a flatter after-market 60-2 ring gear from Electromotive or the likes and to simply take meat off of the back of the pulley and to open up the center of the new ring-gear plate to fit right.

The flatter wheel now sits BEHIND the water-pump pulley. Tap three holes and counter-sunk to hold the wheel to the back of the pulley and this is what you end up with...
Attachments
Picture_120.jpg
Picture_120.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: New Intercooled Supercharged GTV6

Post by Greg Gordon »

JJ, Your post makes sense, but then again, slyalfa says he has done it. Perhaps that was in combination with some other parts from a 164 motor.

Greg
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think Nizam and Larry did similar things. Nizam used the SZ/Potenziato pulley and Larry machined the 164 ring gear down and pressed it on the Milano pulley.
Dr. Alban
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am starting to like the idea of using magnets for crank position sensing more and more.

Greg