Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yes,164 24v -can be used 24v and 12v-

Dont follow what you mean by grooves??

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry, what he means by "grooves" are the valve cut outs in the pistons which are obviously in the wrong place for a 12 valve V6. I suspect it doesn't really matter.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Couldn't help noticing that 5 of the 6 pistons had additional 2v pockets machined in - but 1 only had the 4v pockets.... Hope you didn't use it like that :wink:
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Aaaah,got ya.This being a turbo the additional cutouts are of no concern compression wise.Thanks Greg..

Steve,yes,This pic was taken very prematurely and the 6th set of pockets were machined prior to balancing everything..

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
TNT
Silver
Silver

Post by TNT »

Hey , who knows maybe Barry is taking it to another level and he is building 36valve engines :o :o
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, I have been off the board for a little while. I have been too busy designing a new belt tensioner for the supercharger drive belt. It seems nobody else could make it work. Using the Alfa timing belt tensioner for the supercharger drive belt didn't turn out to be such a hot idea.

Anyway.....Big Superverde update on page 6, www.oldebottles.com/italiancarspage6.htm It's now supercharged and you can see the new belt tensioner if you want. In fact the car will be touring the country from Denver to the East coast and back so if you want to see it, touch it, hear it, etc you may have the chance.

It's on the road right now. We installed the kit yesterday and my dad left this morning on the first leg of the journey, Dallas-Denver. Last I talked to him on the phone he had gone about 500 miles, is getting over 27 mpg (remember 3.0 and 4.10s) and has left a few cars in a cloud of oil smoke.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

You should ask your Dad to make a trip out to the (North) West Coast :)

Thanks for the update!
Michael
1981 GTV6
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Greg,

On the way from DC to Dallas, Atlanta makes for a great stop! There are several of us here that would like to see the road show have an ATL tour date.

Dave
dan668s
Gold
Gold

Post by dan668s »

Greg, I've read about the supercharger on your web-site and it looks very promising!

I'm going to buy me a GTV6 with 3-litre later this autumn, so maybe I should start saving money for this kit :D

Are they currently in stock, or do I have to wait several months while the kit is being made? I don't have the money for it now, but it would be nice if I should be starting putting away some money....

-Dan
Alfa Romeo - The thinking man's car!
--------------------------------------------
2004 Alfa Romeo Sportwagon 1.9 JTD
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

No Kits are in stock, I am too busy trying to retrofit all existing kits up to generation 2 specs. Once that's done I will start selling them again.
Right now my dad's SuperVerde is out touring the country and proving reliability of the second generation kit. So far it's been from Dallas to Denver and Nebraska. Then back to Dallas for the Italian car day where many people saw it. Then it was out to Virginia where it stopped at IAP and more people saw it. My dad should be back here in Dallas tomorrow. We plan to put the 3.55 rear end into it and then send it out to California.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

Can he swing by Norther California? I would love to meet yer dad! Maybe we can do a drag race hehe.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

How about Sweden? ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

After Northern California he should keep going North to Seattle, THEN he can go to Sweden ;-)

Seriously though Greg, if your dad likes traveling, there are a bunch of NWARC club members who would love to see his car and enjoy hosting and toasting his presence and your work.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Second the motion :D
Michael
1981 GTV6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

My dad will be back here in Texas sometime today. We plan to put the big injectors in and the higher boost setup. Then we will dyno it.

We learned something from this trip. In the mountains when going uphill vacuum falls enough to cause the supercharger to engage even though it doesn't need too. This causes a drop in fuel economy. I guess when they made the vacuum module the assumption was the supercharger would be on a low compression motor that would need boost anytime vacuum decreased. Of course SuperVerde is pretty powerfull even without the supercharger so we don't need it to engage so early.
On the trip fuel economy was right around 26-27 mpg but fell to 22-23 mpg or a little lower in the mountains.
We also plan to swap in the original 3.55 transaxle to try and get it up to 30 mpg.
Then the car is headed to California.
Sweden is a little out of the question. Zamani, consider the drag race on! I think that would be really cool, and it might be the first alfagtv6.com drag race. I think SuperVerde will win 3.55 rear end or not. We will know more once it's dynoed but I full expect about 220 rwph and even more torque.