ar4me
Verde
Verde

Re: 3 liter, 24 valve engine project

Post by ar4me »

Hmm, are you sure this is not caused by chuck's map not being suitable for your setup for some reason? Did you adopt the same TPS? Doesn't Chuck run a mix of TPS and MAP for load (I bet yours come with only MAP)? Watch out, there could be differences causing non/poor running. Not sure that the CAS is damaged. If it works anything like the Milano ABS sensors they can take some abuse...
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Michael,

It should be easy enough to try a substitute unit for a test. If you have a spare one from any Alfa engine or someone can even lend you one from an engine that runs. All they do is produce a pulse.
The thing is, the position of the unit should be mounted as close as possible to the trigger wheel (but not touching as obviously this was) or the teeth of the trigger wheel to cause a voltage to be induced inside the unit and then send it on.

If the clearance is too great, no pulse is made. Too close and it get damaged. If it is a genuine trigger wheel then the factory spigotted mount for it should be fine. About 1.5mm should do the job.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

So the GoTech ECU has two green LED's on the front panel - apparently both should flash when the engine is cranking to indicate that the system is reading the crank position correctly. In my case, only one light flashes. Louis at GoTech told me that the air gap is probably wrong after asking me about these green lights. Since the wheel and sensor on the 164 engine is stock, the air gap cannot be adjusted so based on the condition of the CPS, it seemed logical that this was the culprit.
Finding a replacement is (as usual) going to be tough/expensive.
To your point Jess, I have tested with TPS both enabled and disabled with same results.
Michael
1981 GTV6
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

BTW, if it is the same coil pack that always fires and the same two that never do, then I doubt it is the crank angle sensor. Wouldn't that cause more of a random firing among the coil packs?

As to the TPS, I didn't mean to imply this would cause coil packs not to fire, but rather that in case you have running problems (once the firing is sorted) then that would be something to look into. Though, I would check that other inconsistencies between Chuck's ECU load and your engine isn't causing issues. Like coil packs, do you both have external or use internal igniters for the coil packs, ... basically, does the ECU load match your setup?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Michael, Im 100% sure clips will not solve your problem. the injector is to short. The GTA clip is different and the fuel rail cup over the injector is larger and deeper. I have tried this two years ago. Hold on before you order.
With respect to pickup I have just had problems with mine. I was using a BMW one which is not as good as an Alfa pickup even though it was .4mm away from teeth. The car would battle to start and the lights did not pulse in order. I changed this with really scrap(also very worn like yours) 166 pickup which also sits .4mm from teeth and problem solved. It also had a serios nick in the wire. Before you ordre just try to move it closer temporary to check.
Some pick ups are stronger than others.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

continue.. Michael, Measure the gap on pickup and let us know. on older gotech im not sure but if it has two lights the should flash alternating. If for some strange reason gap is to far you can tempory take out dowel pin on pickup to rotate closer. Or as i did on my haltech I held it with my hands while my mate crank the motor until i got correct didtance to see if pickup worked. Try not not to get your fingers stuck in all those rotating parts.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

kevin wrote:Michael, Im 100% sure clips will not solve your problem. the injector is to short. The GTA clip is different and the fuel rail cup over the injector is larger and deeper. I have tried this two years ago. Hold on before you order.
I actually bought that already (APE is awesome, they sent me the entire fuel rail with injectors, rails, clips, damper and regulator for not much cash). I plan to use it for some testing ... or maybe I will just get new injectors which flow the same as GTA injectors now that I know what they should look like.

kevin wrote:With respect to pickup I have just had problems with mine. I was using a BMW one which is not as good as an Alfa pickup even though it was .4mm away from teeth. The car would battle to start and the lights did not pulse in order. I changed this with really scrap(also very worn like yours) 166 pickup which also sits .4mm from teeth and problem solved. It also had a serios nick in the wire. Before you ordre just try to move it closer temporary to check.
Some pick ups are stronger than others.
I will try removing one of the sleeves to move the CAS closer to the wheel - it is 0.85mm away now which is more than GoTech recommends. Interestingly, I found that when the engine first starts cranking, only one of the green lights flash and one of the 3 coils fires. After a few seconds of cranking, the other green light starts flashing and the second coil pack starts firing. The 3rd coil pack will not fire at all, unless I set the Mode to 5 (of course, the engine will not run on Mode 5, but it proves the wiring is correct).
Michael
1981 GTV6
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Michael, my defective pickup caused bad starting only. Only after two to three revolutions did it start until I changed it.Starts first spin now. NOTE that if your starter is swinging to slow it will not send signal either.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just some pics of the difference in clips which you will see when yours arrive. I did not realise that alfa used the gta injectors on the last of the 3.0 spiders. You must create a loop system with the fuel like on 164. The later fuel rails only had one line in with the pump in the tank.
Attachments
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
compareinj.JPG
compareinj.JPG (93.11 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
clips.JPG
clips.JPG (59.07 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Kevin:

So do you think I just need the GTA specific fuel injector clips?

Thanks for the suggestion on the CAS, I have ordered a replacement (Alfissimo stocks them ~$170) but in the interim, I was able to jury rig the sensor closer to the wheel and that got all the coils firing. I then used the 164LS fuel injectors from APE and assembled everything again - the car actually ran for the first time this afternoon :!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dVOaPf27vM

The tuning needs work - though I have the TPS set up and am using Chuck's map which was also set for TPS, I found I needed to disable that before it would start.

Next step is finding an exhaust shop to fabricate the down pipes.
Michael
1981 GTV6
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

No, I was trying to show the clips are so different they can only be used with the rail and injector it comes from.Its iether one or the othe complete. As your engine has been standing long time I would take all plugs out and check compression as I have had a valve which has got stuck in guide (rust) which can catch you out.
When using GTA rail you would have to unscrew the one end of rail and put a nozzle to you can create a ring feed. If not sure I will send you a pic. But just get it started. The tps is not eeven connected on race but that is semi sequential. However it is connected on full sequential and cam angle sensor on 3.7 with latest gotech which only came out three weeks ago. So in your quest of replacing and finding parts keep an eye out for cam angle sensor for long term upgrade. You can remove that welsh plug with out taking engine out.
Have you got bottom flanges that fit those headers ?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sounds good, It only does not start some time because your crank speed is to slow. Recheck cam belts. How much can you twist it on the long side. +- 60degrees. I know you set it with tools but it would be interesting to where it is now that it has been fired.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Kevin:

Here is a pic of the downpipes I was supplied with. The bends are not mandrel bends - I'd like to see if I can get something which will flow better - stainless would be good too!
Supplied downpipes, flange
Supplied downpipes, flange
Downpipes_Flange.jpg (129.09 KiB) Viewed 5873 times
What I plan to do this week is find a good custom exhaust shop in Seattle and then have the Alfa trailered down there.

On the topic, I need to close on an exhaust design! The X pipe is a given...

I have a Stebro system on the car now which worked well on my 3 liter - but I can see that a larger diameter pipe would be better. Any suggestions?
Michael
1981 GTV6
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mike,

Am I seeing right? Because those flanges have no holes!
Dr. Alban
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

kevin wrote:No, I was trying to show the clips are so different they can only be used with the rail and injector it comes from.Its iether one or the othe complete.
Can you confirm the exact year and model of the Alfa from which I should order the injector clips? I will order them from the UK.
The fuel rails on my engine appear to be GTA spec based on your pics - thanks for those!
Michael
1981 GTV6