Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

It has now got 120 000 miles on the clock, I brought it when it had 60 000 miles, 5 years ago. I used to trash it about a lot and always took it to the max but since my marriage I have calmed down - amazing what marriage does to one's life. Anyway, it is(was) only thrashed when warm and gets fully synthetic oil and pulls easily and effortlessly to 7000rpm.
Fantastic engine; crawls without stutter in 5th at idle, but I cannot make my mind up if I want I high-end screamer with shorter gear ratios or a bottom-end torque monster with perhaps higher gear -ratios. Very quiet when cruising, good GT.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

the 3,0 12V is a torque engine ! the 24 V is a screamer.
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Hi guys!

Before I started the GTA-engine project, I had a 3-liter L-Jet in my GTV, with a very short 4,3:1 final drive. Thatswhile I needed a higher rev-limit, because the stock 5800 won't let me drive fast, and at drag-starts I had to be very precise with the starting rev and shift, because it happend some times when my tires get grip it's immediatly ran into the revlimiter.
So I collected a 6700 L-Jet ECU and it was a big step. Then I was able to start very fast without the danger of been limited, and I was able to keep the real 220 on long motorway runs. But there was no use of revving the engine over 6200 in 3rd and 4th, because it ran out of power.
With this setup I was able to let the 156 and 147 GTAs at the satrting line and pull away from them until 80 then they arrived and I can't keep up with thier power-gain.
Once we tried with a 156 GTA that he started at 3000 and I from idle. He gets by a meter at the start, but at the end of my first gear I was ahead of him by 2 meters.

This 6700 is a safe limit for a stock engine. I had motorway runs over 30-40 minutes long without dropping the tacho under 6300.
The only modification on the engine was the ported cylinder-heads for the case, if I able to get some sharper cams.

Kevin wrote the 2.5 like revving free'r than the 3.0. That's true. My friend has a 2.8 with 7500 limiter, and it revs up much easier than mine. But it's normal, because the stroke is longer in the 3-liter unit.

But I never know any other engine with that flat torque-curve the 3-liter has. It has tremedous power at low end. Near to my home we have a climbing road, where I use the first gear of my daily driver 164 TS. But I was able to climb in fourth!!! with the 3.0 12V GTV6. Now I'm running the first tests with the GTA-engine, but I have to use the 3rd at the same place.