Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Drag Race GTV6 vs BMW 535i, this Sunday, place your bets

Post by Greg Gordon »

This Sunday we plan to drag race a GTV6 against a stock 1987 BMW 535i. Who do you think will win?

The GTV6 is my dad's former car, now my son's. It's stock except for my intake, and side out exhaust (stock front exhaust and cat). It has Total Seal Rings, and a full radius cut valve job. However it was overhauled about 180,000 miles ago and is starting to show signs of wear. It's still quick but it's lost a little in the last 20.000 miles or so. Oh, and it's a 1983 car with the dreaded 3.42 rear end, not good for drag racing.

The BMW is my daughter's. It's a 1987 535i which was BMW's hottest offering for most of the 80's excluding the "M" cars. It's only around 300 pounds heavier then the GTV6. It has BMW's big 6 3.4+ liters, but it's held back a little by 8:1 compression. This particular car has an automatic with a very tall first gear, however the long stroke 6 cylinder and torque converter enable it to pull that tall gear pretty darn well. The BMW is in incredible condition, only 110,000 miles and it's as good as new.

I don't want this to turn into a discussion of what if the BMW had a stick, or what if the GTV6 had the more common 4.10 box. That could never end. Which car do you think will win this Sunday?
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I hate to be negative, but I think the BM will win. I have never been in either car, though.
The things that make me say this is that: 1. Displacement to weight ratio favors the BMW in a big way, and 2. Engine maintainance factor also favors the 535.
The Alfa's advantage of a manual trans is marginal to nonexistant depending on the condition of the synchros and clutch. I know the 535's auto is no race horse but 3.42 on the 6er is taller than a verde box. I cant imagine what that thing does with 2.5liters. (Get excellent economy? :) )
I think if the 6 had a 3liter or a different box it would go differently. Oh wait, Greg asked for no speculating on different configurations :? sorry :wink:

I hope to be proven inncorrect.

How do the drivers compare?

If your daughter is honest and innocent, she will keep her foot on the brake until the green. If your son is an Alfa driver at heart he will pull up four feet behind the line and begin to roll forward before green. That would make the race very interesting :twisted:

One more question: What is the rev limit on the Alfa? A high reving alfa with 3.42 might fetch 60 in first with tall tires. A race to 60 might be interesting in that case...
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Try to get a video.

Erase it right away if the W wins :evil:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D :D Greg,My money is on the ALFA !!!
This test was done here in 1983 with a BMW 535 Motorsport.This car was purposely built to beat Alfa on the track...Yea,right..
8)
Attachments
Gtv wheels 001.jpg
Gtv wheels 001.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 12195 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Am I not the sad puppy for keeping the mag for 22 years....Actually,at the ime I knew Greg was going to re test this,so........ :)
Attachments
Gtv wheels 002.jpg
Gtv wheels 002.jpg (143.15 KiB) Viewed 12194 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:twisted: And the winner is..............................
Attachments
Gtv wheels 003.jpg
Gtv wheels 003.jpg (151.28 KiB) Viewed 12193 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

And the test was done at sea level,thats Table Mountain in the second pic....

I tell you what,that auto box is an advantage,I think.......
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Was that a 3.0 SA gtv6 or a 2.5 Barry?

I don't care about the numbers my money on the ALFA every time :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

A 2.5 ,Not 3.0l..... 8)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The BMW will squat down and smoke the Alfa.
Grip at the start is not where the de-Dion shine.

What kind of tires?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Rubber.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jim,I had written -black round ones,but did not post....wicked..
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Grip

Post by Zagato »

I always thought that one of the good things with the De Dion
is that the wheels is vertical all the time, so you have the full
contact patch of the tyre at a start. Compare to an independent axle like BMW, where te wheel go to negative camber under a start with less even contact patch?!
Zagato
Gold
Gold

Grip

Post by Zagato »

I always thought that one of the good things with the De Dion
is that the wheels is vertical all the time, so you have the full
contact patch of the tyre at a start. Compare to an independent axle like BMW, where te wheel go to negative camber under a start with less even contact patch?!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Zambon, the drivers are not a factor, my dad and I will be doing the driving. The GTV6's transmission shifts perfectly. The GTV6's 3.42 box has a 3.5 first gear so it's overall ratio in first is lower then a Verde's 3.55 box with the 2.8 first. This Alfa has no rev limiter, we shift at about 6500 in first.

Barry, Thanks for the road test pictures! The 535i in the U.S. was different then the car in that test. It's an E28 BMW not the older E12. Plus the U.S. spec motor has 8:1 compression leaving it with only 182hp/217lb torque. It also has Motronic injection, not L-Jet like the Euro M535i. Don't get me wrong, the U.S. 535i was mightly in it's day but it's no match for the M535i in that magazine.

Traction off the line. Well, the BMW has limited slip so that gives it the advantage there. No GTV6 had limited slip. Still, if the wheels don't hop the DeDion set up grips pretty hard.