PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Alfettish wrote:I drove my sister's 1995 3 series BMW around for 8 months while she was overseas, and I can say that it handled like a sack of shit. I'm not sure about the new ones but if that one was anything to go by outhandling a 3 series is nothing!
Ok. 159 did own all cars tested including the 3 series. Happy now? :) Having driven some number of cars, and alfas I'll say again 159 handles GREAT
Ooops, way off topic now :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Boost

Post by MD »

I think the title of this topic is Boost. In that context, here's a bit of boost info for ya. I think you will really love this one Greg.

We all think getting 100bhp/litre is pretty good going. Try 287/litre way back in 1951. Wow 425 hp from 1.5 litres.

What a pearler. Check her out. Absolutely magnificent. The 159 Alfetta. A true champion.
Attachments
159 Alfetta engine.jpg
159 Alfetta engine.jpg (168.54 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
159 Alfetta.jpg
159 Alfetta.jpg (210.01 KiB) Viewed 6479 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

An inline 8 8) would love to hear that at full tap :D .

100hp/ltr, maybe an achievement for some, but others have bean providing that for 15 years or more.
200+hp/ltr in a road going engine is an achievement.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Duk wrote:An inline 8 8) would love to hear that at full tap :D .
Not just an inline 8. A supercharged inline 8 :D

People just don't realise how advanced cars were back then. Heck could you imagine doing 220km/h in THAT! :shock:

ROCK ON
R~R
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Is that a fact? Might be for the later 4 valve units but you show me a typical 2 valve road going Alfa engine and I'll show you a baloney sandwich. Granted that she is supercharged and that would make the difference in any engine.

Hey Rooks, you're short changing the old girl. She is quoted in some specs as capable of 305-310kh. She also had two superchargers. I think they were sequencial. So how fast are the current formula 1 cars going, hahaa? :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks for posting those pictures, I love that car, and so far have never seen one in person.

That 159 Alfetta is one of the most successful racecars of all time. It uses two Roots superchargers to develop over 30 pounds of boost resulting in well over 400 horsepower from it's 1.5 Liter straight-8.

There are two things that make this engine fairly unique. First, although it's a straight-8, it actually has two crankshafts that joint together in the center. Power comes out of this motor from this central point, not from a flywheel at the end of the engine. Most straight-8s can't rev, but this design allows the narrow frontal cross section of an inline 8 cylinder engine with the high rpm abilities of a tiny 4-cylinder.

The second unique factor, is the dual supercharger setup. By using a slow turning large supercharger blowing into a fast spinning small blower, they were able to get 30psi with far less heat build up with a conventional single blower set up. This dual set up keeps the pressure differential across the rotor pack in the second stage blower to a minimum thus reducing slip.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

i once read a test in a magazine where it was compared on track to a 155 V6 TI ( 155 DTM car, 420 bhp). The 155 was miles ahead in the brakes and cornering department but was nowhere in outright speed and acceleration.. 8)

4 gears and depending on rear diff it reached up to 310 km/h. it used Metahnol or something as fuel and a lot of it also... 1 litre for 800 meters or something :( . the tankcapacity was something like 300 litres. :shock:

Very impressive car. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Rooks,Autocomponenti e-mailed me a sound clip of this car a while back..perhaps get hold of them to do likewise ?
Last edited by Barry on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Mats! Do you have more of those? I have been having a hard time finding technical drawings of that engine.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I just stumbled across it, totally unrelated. :shock:

So no, I don't I'm afraid.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

That 159 is beautiful to say the least! Thankyou for pic!

And Greg thankyou for the tech specs on the Chargers,fantastic. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
q4_fre
Silver
Silver

Post by q4_fre »

Hi all!

I am currently rebuilding my 2.7l. (Worn out exhaust tappet)

I am thinking about to put in an 2.5l crank, will give a little higher cr (now I use the 2l crank), or to do with an standard 3l engine. 9.5:1 cr. But how much boost can I use on that engine? Will probably go with e85 fuel, have it on an gas station near..
I need to run about 10-12psi to get the turbo into its most effective area.. Will this be possible? The turbo is an Turbonetics t3/t4 e-60 with .82AR stage 5 exhaust..
Have been using Turbonetics t3/t4 e-46 with .63AR unknown stage on my 2.7l, but it will not hold more than 1.2bar at top, so I need an bigger compressor, thats where the e-60 came in top the picture....

I can lower the cr by using an thicker head gasket but that will move the camshafts a little, wouldn't it? Because of the extra height from the crank to the cam wheels? I do not know if this will be right or if it will go in the wrong direction...?

Any ideas, suggestions?

I did see the link here for the compression chart. And when looking at the 8:1 compression and 22psi boost (about 1.5bar - which I am running fine in my 155 Q4) it does not give any higher cr than 9.5:1 with 12-13psi. I know the 16valve heads probably flow higher, but anyway?

The chart: http://www.autocomponenti.com/boosted_t ... d_tech.htm
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You have a 2.7L? I don't have any idea what engine that is. I don't want to comment on the turbos, since there are others here that are better for that. However I will say that using a thicker headgasket is probably not a good idea. It will lower compression but will do it in such a way that the engine's tendancy to knock will probably increase. That's bad. I suggest lower compression pistons.

Greg
q4_fre
Silver
Silver

Post by q4_fre »

The 2.7 is an machined 2l tb block modified to fit 3l liners. I am still using the 2l tb crank. So that makes it 2.7l. The compression in that engine will therefor be low. So I need to boost alot to make anything happen. Though I have to say it is not as "lazy" as I would expect from such low compression, all that litres make the engine pretty strong without boost..

But large engine volumes and much boost means bigger turbos, but the space in the gtv '96 is very limited.

As far as I can see the E60 turbo will not provide any more boost than an E46, it can deliver more air, but not more pressure..?

The 2.7 engine seems to work very well. Have driven it 23k+ km and no problems, except that worn out exhaust tappet. The heads are from an 164, so I think the fact that it is a set of old heads that isn't overhauled made that problem..