Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Jim K »

No apologies needed, this is all interesting info! And yes, use 12.9 bolts, regular hex or allen-head. While I like this conversion, I would question the proper/adequate thickness of the triangular plate! Any way to make 100% sure its up to the task? For lack of engineering data I suppose past history performance would suffice; in other words, if Xmm has stood up well for some years in all kinds of vehicle use, I guess we're safe.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JimK,

Can you send the cam data for the clio ? I don't think shipping to Greek is viable, too expensive. I can have it done in LA by webcams. Unless, that data is considered proprietary?

I think I will just stick with the 3.0 24V from the 164 as the water routing is less complicated and crank spacer (to fill in space for the oil pump chain drive) is not needed.

So the specs will be 11:1 compression, some sort of cams depending on what data I have to work with, and shorty headers. I hope to finish it this year.
Dr. Alban
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:No apologies needed, this is all interesting info! And yes, use 12.9 bolts, regular hex or allen-head. While I like this conversion, I would question the proper/adequate thickness of the triangular plate! Any way to make 100% sure its up to the task? For lack of engineering data I suppose past history performance would suffice; in other words, if Xmm has stood up well for some years in all kinds of vehicle use, I guess we're safe.
Jim K.
I think I remember seeing around the forum another 24v conversion that used a similar plate, I understand your concern about the plate thickness, I'd think that maybe a 15mm thick plate should do, or even maybe 20mm...
So far the solution i've come to was to use the old Giulietta flywheel bolted to the 164 flywheel, due to the somewhat lack of good quality bolts, i've had everything balanced and lightened so as to make the whole assembly weight the same as the original 2.5 flywheel, but it's a bit cumbersome to work with, and the plate setup seems like a good solution.
Of course the best would probably be a custom aluminium flywheel from performatek, but then i'm having first the issue of shipping and importing (costs an arm and a leg) and then that I prefer to use the 4 cylinder rubber donut due to availability nearby.
Also i'm using a propshaft cv joint in the middle to take care of all the alignement issues with these shafts, i'm ultimately going to a setup like MD had in the brick, but I want to get the car going by february since in march I have a hill climb event that I want to enter in Brazil... :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

All right Z, I did even better; I just sent you the Williams GpN profile curve (and the std 3liter 24v curve for reference) which is even better than the std Williams 3liter profile, with a bit more lift and duration. A 24-valver should kick ass with this bumpstick! :wink:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Thanks JK I guess I owe you a schnitzel.

PS anyone know when they have a sale on a plate of schnitzel by the ring? :)
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Unfortunately, looks like our 'Ring days may be over! The new owners really screwed up financially and they hiked all prices much higher plus they're chasing all rental companies (like Ron's) out of there. As a matter of fact, Ron lost the first Court case and they're hoping for a successful appeal...Things are grim for Ringside schnitzels... :cry:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Does it have to do with the failed amusement park inside/around the ring area?
Dr. Alban
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Unfortunately, looks like our 'Ring days may be over! The new owners really screwed up financially and they hiked all prices much higher plus they're chasing all rental companies (like Ron's) out of there. As a matter of fact, Ron lost the first Court case and they're hoping for a successful appeal...Things are grim for Ringside schnitzels...

Dang....and we were planning 3 weeks in Europe for vacation next year :(
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

MR2 Zig wrote:
Unfortunately, looks like our 'Ring days may be over! The new owners really screwed up financially and they hiked all prices much higher plus they're chasing all rental companies (like Ron's) out of there. As a matter of fact, Ron lost the first Court case and they're hoping for a successful appeal...Things are grim for Ringside schnitzels...

Dang....and we were planning 3 weeks in Europe for vacation next year :(

well I was getting ready for my first ring trip this year!! get to know you folks from the bb plus get some schnitzels! i'm all up for it this year, plus i've saved up so it's a matter of putting a date!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Zamani wrote:Does it have to do with the failed amusement park inside/around the ring area?
yes, they really screwed up with that one. A lot off jackasses with to much power and some strange ideas, played and lost a lot of money. And left a big budget hole, which has to be stuffed.

And the good part of it, one of the jackasses is one the new owners of the ring :shock:
The other new ring owner..... is also the owner of the new build restaurants, bars etc.

Everything what is a possible source for income is used.
When you buy a ticket for driving on the ring, you also get a small compensation for the high price, a card with money on, which only can be used in his restaurants, etc.....
Prices of the industry pool for car testing are raised by a factor 10!

I'm following the German media a bit about the continuing story and there is a lot of bull going on there.
Last edited by Maurizio on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Maurizio, since you are the closest site rep to the 'Ring, you are hereby tasked with reporting any significant news regarding the issue! :mrgreen:
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Most year ticket holders are hooked for life and an addiction is difficult to loose ....
Yesterday was the first open day of this year.

deleted nice que pic of a sunny day

I will skip this year (as year ticket holder) as I´m way over my ears in other projects, but I´ll have to do some laps in 2011 and go up there to feed my addiction. :lol:
Last edited by Maurizio on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

WHAT?? Where's the snow?? :shock: :?:
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:WHAT?? Where's the snow?? :shock: :?:
Jim K.
Plus I see a couple of guys in shorts and a guy with a short sleeve shirt, the more I keep looking at the pic, the more I think this picture is taken here in the south! :shock:

Jim, are you planning on going this year? any possible dates?

I got the money saved and the vacations planned at work, it would be nice to meet up at the ring!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If RSR is still around and the prices are about the same, I should be able to make it. Things will clear up in a month or two so we'll have a better picture and understanding of the situation.
Jim K.