SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hehehe Baz. Wise old Baz. You said you were old, not us.

"Just turbo and get it over and done with"

If only I had listened when I had the chance :roll:
Ha!
Fixing it bit by bit....
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

Hi, I own a 84 GTV6 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. My 2.5 will need new piston rings soon so I'm planing on rebuilding it.

I want around 210hp. Could this be posible with 3.0 pistons, colombo-bariani (road medium or max) cams, oversized valves, bosh motronic injection, KN filter and custom exaust?

My idea is a 2.8 with 210hp at about 6700rpm. I dont have a lot of money so dont want forced induction, 24v or 3.0 12v. I want to modify the 2.5 and get around 210hp.

Any recomendations are welcome.

Lucas
84 GTV6
96 M3
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Lucas- you should prob. start your own topic, but from what I understand, get a 3.0 crank, and use 2.5 pistons and rods. ends up being a 2.8 with around 10.5:1 comp. clean your heads up, aftermarket computer and exhaust and Im sure 200hp would be an there with strong torque. Mine makes 250hp or thereabouts... and it isnt a cheap engine to build.
Fixing it bit by bit....
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

Thanks Julian. You have the modifications I always wanted but is to expensive. I hope you can keep using that engine because nothing sounds like an alfa 2.5 V6 at over 7000rpm.

Lucas
84 GTV6
96 M3
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Haha thanks Lucas!

The only reason I have the mods is I didnt pay for the engine to get built first time around- I bought one someone else had already done the hard yards on!

Streetfame... let us know how the build goes
Fixing it bit by bit....
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jules,using the 30l crank and 25 pistons will push the pistons out of the top of the block..
Use the 30l pistons,offset your small end upwards by 1.85mm and the std. 25 crank and all will be good.
I suppose you could lop off 1.85mm from the 25 piston crowns,im sure they have enough material to do so ....mmmmmmmmmmm,gotta check this out...
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

There you go Barry...
That's what I originally thought was the go... but somewhere along the line, someone told me that it was the other way around....
Fixing it bit by bit....
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

jules,

i'm willing to put good money into this project and it's gonna take some time to complete it.

along the way i gotta be smart though when it comes to the scale. money on one side and gains on the other. i've looked at greg's system and a roots style charger will not work with my application. it's too big and proper placement is a real issue. not to mention all the plumbing!!

at the same time 7 pounds of boost may not hurt the block (i stand corrected) but really...how much of that power is gonna be useable. it'll be hard to get all that power to the ground ya know?? i'm not trying to hear replacin' my tires every other month!!

and no, barry. I DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE ANYONE ON THIS SITE. WHERE THE HECK DID I COME ACROSS LIKE THAT? i believe everyone has something to add and as i told dave h who had nothing but negative thoughts to share with me, i welcome all comments.

if i'm gonna spend the cash, i've gotta get the value of it. that's just the way i am. i could care less if the dyno spits some crazy hp #'s. what's the point of that if it's all going up in smoke on the road leaving me waging my tail trying to get a grip???!! to me that's just money spent and lost.

i know it's only a 12v but i think forced induction would be a waste of cash. better suited for a heavier car with more valves and a larger engine bay.

i was looking at the 164 s cams, rebore to a 3.3L, lighten crank, porting the valves, lightened flywheel, 10.5 com pistons, rings, liners, dual exhaust, larger injectors, stronger ignition (can you suggest an ignition?)

what have i missed jules?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Aaaah,A bit of a wild hair up your ass??

"along the way i gotta be smart though when it comes to the scale. money on one side and gains on the other."

If you were smart,youd dump the 12v 2.5 and get a more modern,more powerfull 24v-period.the returns are so much greater.

"if i'm gonna spend the cash, i've gotta get the value of it. that's just the way i am.."
" know it's only a 12v but i think forced induction would be a waste of cash."

Your rambling contradict yourself and dont make sense.Then you go and say..

"i was looking at the 164 s cams, rebore to a 3.3L, "

You have obviously NEVER built anything before..The s cams can hardly work in a std motor,nevermind a 3.3l at 7000rpm..

Once you have actually done something and seen for yourself that it works,by all means,come and throw your weight around here and everywere..

Sometimes you have to keep quiet,and look and learn..

Im rather keen to hear where you got the "streetfame"from..You an ex ricer....
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

barry,

you're awsome. what passion! nobody who ever learned anything remained quiet. last time i checked, you gotta ask questions to learn. so, thank you for your knowledge. in turn you have succeded in teaching me more. at one point you didn't know squat. but you learned. and from that, now have i.

hostility? i have none. against you or anybody. mabey my words come across that way but i don't mean to.

experience in building? none. i do not claim to know the truth. i can only investigate and be corrected. which you have done and i thank you sincerely. honestly.

i'm not hear to throw around anything. when have i typed in anything saying that anyone was wrong? i even admitted that i stood corrected in the last reply. it seams to me that it is you that is you getting upset over nothing. so cool out!

the information that i'm leaning towards has been suggested to me very credible souces. including paul spurell and your buddy greg whom i spoke with a couple months ago. he's the one that suggested the current set up you so argueably say would not work, if i did not go the charger route. so you need to holla at them and tell him how wrong you think they are.

i'm not pulling this out of thin air. i do my best to ask questions and learn. no one person is correct 100% of the time. so i emplore you to add your two cents and speak your mind.

whew! now that we've got that sorted out we can continue.
now my first question to you barry is:
do you know if a 3.0 24v engine is around the same size as my 3.0 12v?
where could i find out the measurements?
do you know what they would run for $$?
where could i possibly find one?

thanks in advance for your time and insight. all your info has been taken into consideration.

as far as my name is concerned. that would take far too long to explain and this is not the place for that.

streetfame
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Streetfame,

What is your budget and your target bhp?
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

zamani,

well considering that there is a lot of other stuff going on with this project - i'd have to say that i probably can spend about 12-13k on the engine at best if i was to do it with a 24v.

hp? something around 220-250 with mods would be nice.

thank you for your interest. so, what are your suggestions?

streetfame
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Aaah,A noble man..very commendable..
Sorry bout the rice thing,a bit uncalled for..

The 24v engine is slightly lower in profile than 12v..The cylinder heads are about the same width,so I would reckon the overall package would suite the application here..

A stock std.2.5 is an awsome motor for the capacity..I would venture to say that your ideas on taking this to the max. is probably better suited to the 24v.Nice cr,good cams,(not taking away too much down the bottom..)programmable ecu,this is going to be an awsome package..

This little bugger will rev like crazy..what are your thoughts on this??
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Your target of 220-250 bhp is not too high. I think a stock 24V can get you that. In fact with a chip and header, you should be able to get about 190-200 wheel bhp. This will cost you around $6K-$7K.

Or if you insist on a 12V, then just get Greg Gordon's supercharger. Couple that with a Megasquirt efi you will be well under $5K (assuming no rebuilds). Around 200 bhp from a 2.5 and 230 bhp from a 3.0 at low boost.
streetfame
Silver
Silver

Post by streetfame »

to barry and zamani,

thanks for your imput. this is what i needed to hear about a year ago as a possible option. reason being is that back then i bought the 3.0L 12v and various parts to put into my spider without being informed that there was a better option - such as the 24v one. do you think it would be hard to sell my 3.0 12v if i decided?

with a little digging i just found a 164S 3.0 12v car for sale in my area. he also has just the engine tranny and body parts for sale. i think i'll contact my mechanic and speak to him about it.

thanks for the options guys. you've really done me a favor.

streetfame