x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I'm curious if anyone has had stock rod failure below 7,500 rpm with natural aspiration w/ S-compressioin values (V6 12)??
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

i gotta give you this Greg .... you are VERY good at explaining a topic (everything on your website for example). Many folks, especially in the muscle car crowd, say "buy my stuff, its the best" without any reason to do so or any thought to where said stuff may not be the right thing to use. I do like your thought process and rational for using your various parts :D

Now if I could just get a bit more money together...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I don't like the idea of having to chose between two well respected contributors here, namely Mats position and that of Greg . Both points of view have merrit.
However, there is a "Vendor and Product Reviews" facility on the Forum which is clearly intended to cater for the commercial interests we have or are interested in.
To me it's simple, if you want to promote it or make people aware of it, the item goes there.
If you want a technical dicussion about it, the general forum is the place to do that. That way no-one has to wade through commercials if they don't want to .

So my question is, why aren't we doing this?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi MD, here is why I didn't put it there.

I think the intent of the "Vendor and Product Reviews" section is for users to talk about experiences, good and bad with both products and vendors. I don't think it's a section for vendors to start posts in. The classified section is the place for that. However the classified section is not the place for discussions, which are inevitable with newer products.

With those things in mind, it did seem to me like this is the best place for this topic. If not the moderators can move it. It won't bother me at all.

P.S.
If you guys knew how little profit there is at that price, you might not consider it a commercial post.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

If someone bought it, installed it and want to tell us how good or bad the product is, then it should go there.

If you post a short message like what Greg originally, I think it is fine. It's not like Greg tries to sell his product in every post, that would be lame.

Also if you don't like what is posted, I'm sure there are nicer ways of getting your point across.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Greg,
For me it is not a major issue one way or another and I think the general response is that there is some tolerence of this by the NATURE of how it is done.
I must also confess that there has been in the past some direct sales solicitation by certain parties which I do not support in the general forum.

Zamani,
Also if you don't like what is posted, I'm sure there are nicer ways of getting your point across.
I take it that is not a reference to me as I though my initial response was well articulated and civil (or at least intended to be).
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

I think this forum is small enough in volume that if Greg wants to tell the readers about some new rods of his in a quick thread, it should be OK. I think in the past the problem was the advertisers were pushy enough to become annoying. Since this forum isn't overloaded with traffic, I think we can be subjective about what flies and what doesn't? I can see this kind of posting being a problem on a larger forum like the bb or RX7club for instance, but here should be OK, no?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Where are these rods manufactured? What's the weight? Do they all weight the same?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey MD,

Absolutely not at you.

Twinspark6,

I think these are made in China. But that doesn't mean they are bad. It is just that A LOT of stuff that come from China are utter crap, it just overshadows the good ones. They probably come from the same place as Eagle rods
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Last set of eagle rods i bought were made in the U.S. I'd like to know more about the quality control on these rods.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think JimK mentioned that these rods are of good quality. Let's wait and hope he pops in.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Definitly NOT China ! These are serious quality from the U.K.And I mean serious quality..
They carry Jims part number,the man did not endorse them for fun.He did his homework very well.. :!:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hey Barry
Did you get my email?

Barry I emailed these guys directly six months ago and THS confirmed the rods are made in China.

Cheers Boys
John
Last edited by ALFA GTV6 GP on Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Does it really matter? As long as they are made from the right material the right way I don't care if they're made on Jupiter. As long as they have some quality control tools of course.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Barry,

Are you sure they are not from China? Things from China can range from worse than garbage to some of the best stuff out there..

You can look at this thread:

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Also look where it says the rods are forged in:

http://www.coximport.com/eagle/

Like Mats says, it doesn't matter where it is made in. I really doubt if the rods were made in England it can cost US$900. Carillo rods made in the US cost $1800 for the V6 and I cannot imagine it being any cheaper if they were made in the UK. It might might be measured, balanced and packaged in the UK, but the forging, must be in some place where labor is cheap.

Heck, my iPhone is made in China, I thought it was Taiwan, but no, it's China and it works great, best phone in the world hehe.