fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Finally the throttle body actuator will be turned with 90 degree ccw for the better arrangement.

Tomorrow I will take some photos under the car as well, also about the alternator setup.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

nice welding on the sump!
i also want that engine...............................can you make the 6 gear work in the 5 gear box housing???
MD
Verde
Verde

Performance

Post by MD »

Hey Seb & GTV6GPTT,

Fastcar has a very clear illustraition of my set up for the modifications to the intake plenum. The arrangement overcomes the fouling of the firewall and in the case of RH drive cars, fouling of the clutch master cylinder as well.

The intake is also in a handy spot for coupling up a supercharger later if you want to. The air flow is a compromise but my dyno testing shows my engine develops its normal maximum power so the theory is just a theory.

The final thing I like about this arrangement is that it enables you to use a smooth 2 litre bonnet and it looks like a 2 litre car (good sleeper). :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hi fastcar,

how have you got around the problem of the thermostat being at the rear of engine?? did you need to make clearence to the bulkhead?? and how are you going to plumb the cooling pipes?

Looks great!
Andrew b
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thats a great idea for the sump. Good welding job aswell. Keep posting the pics . Alternator, plumbing, starter etc.
Reale
Gold
Gold

GTA engine

Post by Reale »

Wow, seeing that motor in the GTV6 engine bay is extremely cool! Did you have any engine mount issues? How about the rear bellhousing?
Finally, where do the rest of us get that beautiful engine???
-Al
Al Mitchell
Reale Motorsports
#82 E Production
Alfa Romeo GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

If I may criticize on a very nice job well done,It would be as to the volume of oil now contained in the modified gta sump.I have looked at this idea with some trepedation and concluded-in my opinion-that unless you enlarged the front section as well,it was not good enough .Im a firm believer in plenty of oil and this might also be the reason the new cars have an oil /water heat exchanger.

Once again its purely an observation -well done on your install.....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Barry wrote:If I may criticize on a very nice job well done,It would be as to the volume of oil now contained in the modified gta sump.I have looked at this idea with some trepedation and concluded-in my opinion-that unless you enlarged the front section as well,it was not good enough .Im a firm believer in plenty of oil and this might also be the reason the new cars have an oil /water heat exchanger.

Once again its purely an observation -well done on your install.....
Hey there Barry ,
How's it going at the wild wild Africa tracks? :wink:
Do you have a solution for the oil cooling system for the 24valvers conversions?
Does the newer GTA models have a water cooled sump area ?
I had some 90C+ oil temp measured at warm summer days at entrance to the oil cooler so I had it slightly modified and added an electric spal fan (now goes down by -15C at exit) , should I be worried of oil starvation for main bearings with my sump?
Thanks for any advise,
Chen S
Israel.
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Chen,How you doin??
90deg oil is cold.I would personally like to see oil temps around 100deg c.I have a tech paper on oils we had done with the race cars and will try to post it in a new topic regarding oils.My Giulietta with 3.0l runs oil temps of 100 to 110 deg c at the track and on the road.I use a thermostaticly controlled bypass.The new type cars have an oil to water heat exchanger very simmilar to the VW Golf .Works great.
The sump thing above is purely an observation where I would like a longer period of time before the same bit of oil sees the scorching temps at the bearings again.

On our race cars of last year we actually saw temps running way up to 130 and 140 deg c.Was not good.We ran 30 row Setrab coolers on these cars as well.Once we put the heat exchangers back into operation water temps ran as high as 120 deg c.This was all in the heat of battle though.

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Hi guys!

rz!

I never planned to setup a 6-gear tranny. I think the Alfa 6-gear is a week point of any FWD model equipped with one of it. I heard stories about it.
Can You imagine how terrible could it be, if You have a slow-shifter, hardly shiftable linkage, combined with a poor quality and week mechanism! :)

Andrew.b!

There's no problem around that. :D After You remove the GTV's accelerator, You will have enogh space for the thermostat. The only modification required, that the temperature sender's plastic case has to be cut and You have to change the direction of the wire's connection, to be parallel with firewall. Later I will send photos about that as well, after we did the job.
The plumbing will be as straight as it could be. We will duct the pipes to the side of the car. Bring then them to front and turn to the cooler's connection-points. The heating system is already at the right place.

Reale!

The main issues are already visible. The only one not seen on the pics, is the flywheel. You have to use the original GTA-wheel, because it is balanced with the crankshaft. But You can't use the engine speed sender at it's original location, because it doesn't fit there. You have to put it to the opposite side and install inside the bellhousing.

Barry!

You are right I'm worry about it a bit as well. But since the engine will sit in the right angle, there will be some extra-height in the sump which is not there in it's original shape, so I hope it will be enough for the engine all the time.
First time, when we fill up the oil-system, I will inform You, how much we can fill in. :)

fastcar

PS: I will post the next set of picture 8)
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Here is the alternator.
Attachments
Resize of GTV-GTA 056.JPG
Resize of GTV-GTA 056.JPG (101.66 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
Resize of GTV-GTA 068.JPG
Resize of GTV-GTA 068.JPG (82.96 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
Resize of GTV-GTA 069.JPG
Resize of GTV-GTA 069.JPG (93.44 KiB) Viewed 12492 times