GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Custom intercooler piping shrouds, just thought it would be a nice touch and for something different. Had some Garrett stickers which came with the purchase and i thought their not going on the outside, so on the shrouds they went.

shrouds are dummy fitted just for the pics and still not finished. Will look much better when done.

Well thats pretty much it for now, next pics i have will be of engine in and turbo mounted with all the fabrication stuff in between. Hope you all like the pics. Look forward to posting more soon.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Evert
Gold
Gold

Post by Evert »

Hello Garth,
Fantastic project you are running. Is there another topic with more information? I'm very curious because i'm also installing a turbo V6 in my car.

I wanted to order a Emerald 3D ECU. Now someone told me it had to be a Motec because with the "cheaper" ECU the ignition timing might wander.
What kind of ECU are using?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Garth,

sorry for the double-doublepost... :oops: screwed something up i think. :?

Nice work on the engine compartiment. the colour really appeals to me in the picture. looks really dark grey which i like. :)

Evert,

also check out the gotechwebsite...

the Gotech guys are Alfalovers also. Stephan from Squadra can propably tune it for you. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

NO, he can't :cry:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Evert, thankyou very much. Check out Barry's post with his V6 turbo.
The car he has on there is screaming at the moment.
Lots more info there. I'm just throwing in pics of what's been done at the moment.
Oh i'll be running Autronic SMC, but hey there's heaps of aftermarket and i'm no expert, i've just gone with what my mechanic suggested.
But running car in with standard inj before the ecu goes on, just to see how much power i can get with stock inj and 7psi, then Autronic and 1bar.

Hey Evo thanks for nice words, engine bay will look nice when its all finished with engine in. Will have yellow engine block, covers and plenum as you've seen them, black ceramic coated header and turbo manifolds. The only thing that will clash is the color of the turbo, but i have a beanie for it which is dark grey so that might help haha.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Evert
Gold
Gold

Post by Evert »

rz wrote:NO, he can't :cry:
I heared the same.

Thats why I'm looking for something else.
GarthW wrote:Autronic SMC, but hey there's heaps of aftermarket and i'm no expert, i've just gone with what my mechanic suggested
So Thats why I go with the Emerald (mechanic suggestion).
Than again an expert racer told Motec has the safest ECU. He only trust the Motec and Bosch ECU to run the ingition timing because of the interference of the computer by other equipment.
So no Motec or Bosch, then regulate the igition timing outside the ECU.

But how and why?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Guys,The Gotech is real easy to program...Like all programming to be done,you will need a wide band lambda input or readout..
I use INNOVATE MOTORSPORT `s system...

No black magic with it anywhere...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

double post
Last edited by Barry on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Evert,Beware of too many old wifes tales....There are bad systems regarding ignition timing accuracy and there are extremely good ones..

Most Australian systems are superb..Haltech,Motec,Autronic and ....mmmm,the rotary guys use it..cannot remember now..are brilliant.
So is Gotech and Dicktator from our shores...high accuracy when it comes to ign timing..

Anyone who says ONLY Bosch and Motec have no clue as to what they are saying...
Its akin to the Porche owner saying there is only ONE car ever,the Porche..crap !
"Money does not the ecu maketh !!"
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

MICROTECH ! 8)
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Anyone who says ONLY Bosch and Motec have no clue as to what they are saying
I'm quit€ $ure they know w€££ what th€y $ay :roll:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yeah Microtech is Australian!
Motec apparently has the better networking.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke wrote:
Anyone who says ONLY Bosch and Motec have no clue as to what they are saying
I'm quit€ $ure they know w€££ what th€y $ay :roll:

:mrgreen:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I like the boost gauge installation. A turbo Alfa is an exciting project. It's great that you are taking the time to go through the engine and upgrade the pistons.

Regarding engine management, I would say Bosch is the worst choice by far, except from a purely economic standpoint. I don't know of any aftermarket system that has a really bad reputation, I think most of them are pretty good. A lot of people do seem to have trouble getting Megasquirt to work well, but there are many success stories with them as well so I think it's a user issue.

Greg
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Barry wrote:MICROTECH ! 8)
I don't actually know a rotor owner who ISN'T using a Microtech (aside from those still using the standard). It's very, very, very popular among the chicken cookers society. Of course the creators of Haltech/Motec/Autronic also know just how good their products are, so you do pay the premium, Microtech is reasonably priced in comparison. Gotech, Megasquirt and SDS all seem like great units with price in mind - Once I can get my hands on a timing gear, I'll finally look up mine, of which I also have an Innovate LM-1 to do the tuning.

OT: Looking really good Garth, we really need to all meet up sometime. I struggle to see a real Alfa a month, a boosted one once a year if I'm lucky, to have a crowd of them in the same place would be heaven! :twisted:

I'm also going the same route with the gauge in the 75, get rid of that useless vent and put something good there.

ROCK ON
R~R