Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

The chisel hasn't hit the marbel yet Jim. What are you saying my out come is going to be. These do originate from Dawie, and Sperry use to use them. Info me up Jim
Drive'm Hard
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Take it at face value, top 50mm, bottom 38-39.
Not much more to say now, numbers don't lie!
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Jim I know you the manwhen it comes to Alfas.
I'm only trying to learn as much as possible.
This is/was my plan.

Will this not maintain air velocity?
Attachments
head cut away.JPG
head cut away.JPG (32.99 KiB) Viewed 8249 times
Drive'm Hard
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You're a few months too early with all this, but if you did the head that way, you might as well use it for an anchor! DON'T touch the bottom!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

These are all 3 liter values I take it, or ar they usable on the 2.5 too?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Like I said, don't touch the bottom (short side) of the ports. You wanna do something constructive? Build it up with epoxy ~1/4" in the middle, so as to form a nice long hump. Thats all you'll get without pulling teeth!
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Just wait and buy the book. That's my plan.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

Jim for epoxy thing u mean increasing short side radius as posible ( from cutaway pic it seems very bad) to prevent flow separation and turbulence in this point .. this pic is not v6 but is just example of increased
low radius :D
Attachments
75_ts_cylinder_head.GIF
75_ts_cylinder_head.GIF (36.84 KiB) Viewed 8193 times
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Yesterday I played around with the old desktop dynos program. Its way to primitive to model real flow but was interesting. I entered the 3.0 v6 parameters including cam seat to seat timing and lift. But get this, altering the cam timeing plus/minus 1 degree dropped several hp both ways! To me that means the program, and the alfa engineers, seemed to be on the same page so to speak. And know what they are doing. The program also seems to indicate the stock valve sizes are pretty good for a 7k redline street motor. The engine model sure did respond to greater lift though. I tried 11mm intake and 9mm exhaust lift and gained a lot. Selecting the ITB intake also make a big difference. Of course we know who is in the details.... Related to this have any of you folks ever read Kevin Camerons article in cycle world titled "Intake flow 101" ? He conclued that the high velocity part of the intake duct/port length only needs to be long enough to contain 20-30% of the cylinder volume (for 120-130 volumetric effeciency). The same article says the velocity needed to do this is about 650fpm. Upstream of this the duct can enlarge to lower flow restriction.

You know what I like about these alfas, they have accessable technology and with care can be improved. try that with an S2000.....
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

:D Jim, they won't let go now, you have to finish the book earlier :wink:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

TS Turbo, thats exactly what I mean, and its applicable to ALL Alfas, 4-6cylinder!
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

epoxy
What kind of epoxy would do the trick. Any experience with a specific product?

Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Devcon Liquid Aluminum is great for the job, as are all similar high metal content 2-part epoxy adhesives. Good for intake ports only. For exhaust ports you can only weld alloy, but you will face a number of problems having to do with lack of operating room and needing many brief welding cycles (to keep temperatures down) Gains in this area (exhaust)can be substantial.
Finish the book earlier???...Pay me two months salary to stay off work to accelerate everything and the gas needed to break-in both engines (for 5000km)and we'll get somewhere... its that simple! :roll:
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

JimGreek wrote: For exhaust ports you can only weld alloy, but you will face a number of problems having to do with lack of operating room and needing many brief welding cycles (to keep temperatures down) Gains in this area (exhaust)can be substantial.
I have some bad experience in that area, very difficult job. My water breaktrough was eventually welded after several attempts. Only the #%$(*shop decided on their own the valve seats had to be recut (~1.2 mm deeper) :evil: . Have to see what I'm going to do with the head eventually......
JimGreek wrote:Finish the book earlier???...Pay me two months salary to stay off work to accelerate everything and the gas needed to break-in both engines (for 5000km)and we'll get somewhere... its that simple! :roll:
Jim K.
:D I'm also looking for someone who is willing to pay me, so I can spend all my time on alfa's instead of a job. So even with your reputation it is impossible to find someone like that.....

Mann do I have some nice projects in my head. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Maurizio on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Hey Jim,

here's a good proposal (just to accelerate your books ;-)
Ship here them engines and I can break them (in and out).