Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Here is a preview! I had to drive these cars up to the road and take the photo myself. Thankfully I live in a really remote area so no cars were comming.
Attachments
GTV6vs535i.JPG
GTV6vs535i.JPG (211.1 KiB) Viewed 8595 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ooooh,big problems with the drivers-0 to 60 in 8 days !!!Haaahaha...!!

Huh,Greg??? :D :D :D :D
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I bet your son would be pissed if his sisters car was faster ;)

I know I would be.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Performance

Post by MD »

Hey Greg,

Organise some curves in that drag strip that should sort out the apples from the oranges.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

tomatoes...potatoes
MD
Verde
Verde

performance

Post by MD »

Sheit, I didn't know you're getting the fruit truck involved as well !!

Go bananas I say !! :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, we may have a minor problem. The BMW now refuses to start! After a high speed run we shut it off and now it has no spark. Hopefully I will get this sorted out by Sunday.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I had not though of the alfa winning because the BMW cant drive to the starting line :lol:
I think that is the best possible outcome of all :wink:
Or maybe I just dont like BMWs.

(Or maybe I am bitter about my stock verde being stomped by my friend's modified e36 m3 on my road even though the guy isnt a great driver). :cry:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The alfa will get ahead for the first fifty metres and then the BMW will start to catch it slowly but not to pass. Does that make any sense ??
Hey Barry you need to develope traction control for my GTV 3.2 that you have just remapped. Lost to S3 today but started gaining quickly on him in third. That red shift light you installed might need globe replacing soon..
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The BMW is fixed. It turned out a Bosch connector worked itself apart. Some mechanic broke it in the past by pulling it apart without first releasing the metal clip. This enables the connector to come apart over time.
The drag race will happen in about 6 hours.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

race

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, the race at my private drag strip went off on time! Both cars were in top running shape.

The Alfa won. It pulled about one car length ahead by the end of first gear. I slowly double clutched it into second since there was no point in abusing the syncros now that I knew the Alfa would win. The slow shift enabled the BMW to catch back up making the cars even again. In second the Alfa started to pull ahead again and regained its one car length lead by the end of second gear at 70 mph.

The picture was taken at the top of second gear so you can see how close this was.
Attachments
alfavsbmw.jpg
alfavsbmw.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

In comparison, the Alfa will outrun the BMW in any speed range. The BMW would have won if it has a manual gear box, although not it we used the more common 4.10 box in the Alfa.

Around corners there is no comparison, the Alfa will run away from the BMW. The BMW's front suspension is a very simple strut type almost exactly like that found on a Yugo, and when the car leans, which it does, those front tires lean right over and lose traction. Plus the BMW is nose heavy regardless of what the official specs say.

The BMW's big advantage is in body and interior parts quality. Every switch, gauge, piece of fabric, etc is much better then the stuff Alfa used. The engine should last longer too, it doesn't have the exhaust valve guide, or timing belt/tensioner issues.

In terms of potential performance with normal mods (ie, cams, compression, headers) I think the Alfa's motor is better, especially if you compare the Alfa 3.0 to the BMW 3.5.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Aaah,good one Greg....My 535 e34 has now done 400000km,perfect still...
Hamishm00
Gold
Gold

Post by Hamishm00 »

Yeah, i've driven Barry's 535 e34 - to the shops for chips and shampoo coke - Although I didn't drive it like I stole it (unlike my 156), I managed to anti-hijack myself on the way back, despite clear (?) instructions. Had to walk to Barry's house for help! (of course Sod's law kicked in ten minutes earlier when my phone cut out).

I guess i forgot to push the black button five seconds prior to sticking that infrared stick into the immobiliser port, but all with the door closed, but the trick is you have to close the door before you put your key in the ignition, then you have to touch your toes and pat your head all while you're rubbing your stomach in an anticlockwise direction, then wait two seconds for the beep, then start the car with your foot on the brake.

It's immobiliser setup was conceived by someone crazier than you Barry! I guess it works - a bmw that's done 400,000kms in Johannesburg and noone has stolen it! A record!
Dos circos de 156 3.76L v6 cavalinhos
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That imobilizer sounds complicated! The E28 owner's manual mentions something about it but as far as I can tell our car doesn't have it. However its radio sure gets mad if it thinks its been tampered with.

I think the E34 is a step up in complexity, I figured an E28 or even better a nice E12 would be a better first BMW.

Here are a few questions...Why does the official procedure for checking the powersteering fluid in the E28 535i have you pump the brake pedal ten times? What the heck to the brakes have to do with the power steering? Even better, why do the powersteering fluid tubes go up forward of the radiator? It's not like we need to cool the power steering system.