Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: 4-cylinder turbo performance

Post by Jim K »

One step at a time Mats!... All deficiencies will come out eventually.
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Well, if you buy a small exhaust housing, what are the odds for you to buy another one after realizing it's too small?
Stop designing for boost at 2000 rpm already, what are you an old fart or something?! :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

YESSS!! :lol: You got that right! Especially after some bean soup, heheh!

If you look at the std 1.8T engine, everything about it is a low rpm conspiracy. Intake lobe center ...97* ATDC?? Intake lengths ~450mm?? While timing and cams are easy to alter, the intake length by itself has a dramatic effect on the torque curve, favoring lower revs. Therefore I'm working 'against' factory wishes here! Nevertheless, I think in a few days the picture will change in spite of this.

Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Intake length? This is turbo, no need to tune the intake length... 8)
I do agree on the low rev tuning on the factory set up, makes no sense as the base engine wants revs, revs, REVS! :)

There is a parallell project in Sweden, but I have nothing to report yet. Mostly stock parts except the EMS.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hmmm, we must be reading different books. the one I have says intake length matters.
Anyway, this afternoon I finished the big afm install, went out a few times to check afr's and set idle CO%. There was no way the turbo afm clocksping would do so I swithed to the BMW one, which brought things in perspective and I was able to set part-throttle afr's and idle. I then made several uphill runs. The advance curve which was perfect with the atd afm, was pinging a lot from ~0.8bar and up. I corrected the curve a little after each run until there was no pinging. The new curve requires more retard as boost rises, from 1* at 0.8bar, 2.5* at 1bar, 3* at 1.3bar and 1.5bar. To me, this looks like more air going in the engine -at least I like to think so, heheh! I can't tell the performance difference when I'm doing 170kph on a public 2-lane road and checking afr's with one eye... :shock: I'll do some more checking over the next couple of days and then its dyno time again. After this, the cams are next. Slowly inching along here!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Of course tuning is important, just not as important as on a naturally aspirated engine. Just add boost... 8)
Diminishing return and so on.

Cool about the AFM. Now try to add a volume between the AFM and compressor with a bellmouth into the turbo. That will make the compressor MUCH more efficient in som cases. If you have a bend right before the inlet you will load the compressor wheel unevenly and get all kinds of bad effects.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

There's a nice bellmouth taper on the compressor inlet. I had it made in the machine shop couple of days ago. It reduces the ID of the blue hose from 80mm to 52mm matching the input. I actually Loctited this sleeve to the compressor. Here are the pics of how the setup looks now. The black ps supply hose is pissing me off every time I take the afm cover off (notice the paper tape) so it'll be moved. I would have liked to use a bigger longer K&N cone filter I have but unfortunately, this is the only one that barely fits under the hood. The afm is mounted with a bracket and rubber mount which is not visible in the pics.
Jim K.

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Power steering?? Old fart after all... :lol:

I can't believe how small that turbo looks compared to mine. :shock:
Looks like you have a nice straight piece before the turbo though. Nice. Filter looks terrible though, foam? How close is that to the hood when you close it? Cold air feed pipe? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

It is small! I told you its the GT2854R, one of the smaller ones that pop up when you select 250hp and 1.9liters in the Garrett site questionnaire, right-hand part of the page http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga ... rbocharger
No cold air pipe (where and how?) the hood is ~1-2" away. No room for nothing. Since ultimately there will be no afm, I'll live with it for now and for the next step (GT2871R).
You macho dudes don't like ps? Just think its 3.2turns and the std is 3.6turns. If you think its excess weight...what can I say? :roll: Oh, the car had a/c and I had to remove the rad to fit the IC rad, but It will definitely go back somehow....this is Greece after all and we see up to 45*, so no arguments there! :shock:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

My racecar has 1.9 lock-lock... 8)

Thinking of adding electric PS though as I believe it will become verydifficult to steer withthe new 9" wide rims with235mm tires. :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Right! I'd be interested in electric ps also, to get rid of all the parts cluttering the engine! When someone does a complete ergonomic install for a 75, let's hear the details and parts list. Then I'd think about going lower than 3.2turns. They make 2.4's here and that's a good start as they could be easily modified for ps.
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

What???? Power steering? And coming from Mats and JK....wow....

Well you're in luck, I just ordered a few Pug 106 /Saxo electric pumps from the UK. This is the no frills type, no speed sensitivity. Just want a simple setup. Will let you all know how that works out.

Z

p/s JK

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94&start=15
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Why not be comfortable? No Swarzenegger stuff... ps is important to old guys like me! There's a specialty machine shop here currently making a short ps set for the 75, somewhere between 2-2.5 turns. He's done the same job for the TRW ps for the Integrale with excellent results. I just heard the price for a complete box will be ~350€. I'll wait to see it and get back with news.
Tried some more uphill runs today to see if I can improve the advance curve a bit, before phoning the dyno guys. There's definitely no way I can use the previous (std afm) curve, but with the one I got now, I got to the point where anything more -even 1.5*- will ping. ...A self-mapping as-you-drive ignition with knock sensor is what's needed here... Anybody know of one? :?:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

No EHPAS, EPAS. Only electric, no hydraulics. All in the steering column. :)
Problem for me is that I can't turn the wheel the hard direction with one hand and that is very bad if you're trying to catch a slide. Eveytime you move a hand on the wheel the steering angle stays the same...

Self mapping ignition? Saab Trionic 7? :shock: :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

:? I mean something I can buy, install and drive it until it maps itself. Can this be done with this unit and can it be found used? If yes, in which model/year? How about an aftermarket product -msd, jacobs, mallory....
Jim K.