Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yea,real nice post..

It just so happens Ive a customers 116 20l turbo here to sort out for him..
All the nice stuff for gazillions hp..A 1300 n/a Opel corse is going to whip his butt right now..

Firstly,its obvious the builder wanted a much larger turbo than the engine wants..Ive bolted on a much smaller,matched turbo for him.
Its running 65mm ducting with a BMW turbo diesel intercooler..Ive junked that and also gone for 48mm i.d. piping..Intercooler gets traded for a custom made charge cooler.(Trying to keep the x flow motors piping as short as possible..)its also got 8x 90 deg bends from turbo to intake..

Its running programmable efi with 700cc injectors..I cant get the engine to idle properly,they are so big!!These will be replaced with more suitable items..

Its got a static curve of 25deg in it..no effort to maximise(if you could with the mix of componentry..)the ign. curve for response and off boost drivability..

Intake manifold is a work of art,but will never augment off boost caracteristics.The runners are all of 80mm long and are about 65mm in diameter..wrong,wrong,wrong!

The exhaust manifold is an open collector log type cast iron manifold.Im keeping this for reliability..Most tube manifolds tend to break and all sorts..

I m o this is the ideal example of how NOT to turbo a 116 Nord engine..

Anyone interested in the outcome here??
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry, I think we are all interested.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

MY OATH WE ARE, BARRY> PICS!

(What the bloody hell are you waiting for?) -the aussie tourism ad with the hot chick that's being banned everywhere
Fixing it bit by bit....
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Yeah barry please post some pics, maybe before (with flaws) and after with improved changes and explanation etc
Like anything i guess if you want to do a good job at something, gotta do lots of 'home work', so you do it right first time!

anything less costs too many $$$ and headaches!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey Barry how do you make cast manifolds? Is it expensive? Looking at various cast manifolds, the Alfa ones are really very well designed. The 155 V6 have pretty long primaries as far as cast manifold goes.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Zman,A cast manifold can cost big money or be quite reasonble in cost..It depends on how intriguite(?) the design will be.My log type manifold for turbo application was reltivy cheap to make 15 years ago as I could not afford a more complicated mould.I could have had it made as a 5 dimensional mould ,but the costs soared by a factor of 10.The 3 dimensional mould was what I went for..
The other problem is quantities..If your only casting 10 units,its expensive,either way you look at it.
If on the other hand,your supplying 100 000 units,the most expensive mould can easily be absorbed into the unit price.
If I had to make a mould for the 155 std. cast manifolds right now,the mould will be in the region of R100 000.00..

Matt,Jules,Im now removing the head off this motor.It was sufficient while it could not fight it s way out of a paper bag.Now that its starting to make something resembling some good power ,the headgasket setup has blown .In the most spectacular way..Its back to basics here..

Im starting a new topic for this,still under performance..