Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Terminator:
What do you want from the rods?
They can handle a lot of power if combined nicely with rpm and boost.

What you can do:
round the edges
lighten (right places)
balance
polish
better rod bolts
shot peen

(and lighter pistons which will help the rods)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8) Micke,In the old days I used to use an arp rod bolt from a chrysler v8 engine for the 4 cyl. rod.Worked a treat AND you got 2 sets..New 4cyl. rod bolts are not available anymore..I thought Id let you know as you still play with them..

Ugh....(as a bit af shit falls from the fan.... :D :D :D )

Now this is a joke everyone,ok??
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What the hell are you talking about Barry? I bought new Nord bolts a few months ago and even ARP now lists them in their catalog. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mats,New bolts are not available here anymore..
I then looked for something better AND available..ARP made for a 383 Chrysler.
Ok,So now ARP make for the Alfa rod-great-scrap the Chrysler idea then.. :?
In the days when these were not available,Chrysler ARP`s were King for my Alfa..
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Barry wrote:Mats,New bolts are not available here anymore..
In the days when these were not available,Chrysler ARP`s were King for my Alfa..
Is the part number for the alfa set half the part number for the chrysler set? :P
terminator
Silver
Silver

Post by terminator »

Hi Micke,
I'm actually looking into a TT v6 project & am wanting
to know if the stock rods would handle hp in region of
400-500 hp at 7500 rpm.

Thanks
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

junglejustice wrote:Technical discussion my arse! (More like a flame-basting - and it is not the first time...)

This wanker (who is an engineer of what - public utility-systems? Electronics? Land infrastructure? What?) - He registers last month and then wants to pull shit off of the internet and blow it out of his arse here - to what end...? What is it you actually build ( - or contribute here but insults...?)

You know what gentlemen - This is where I bid you folks farewell. Some of you may say good riddance. Some of you may think it. (Not a problem for me either way.) Yes, it has not been smooth - I know it and at the same time, I have made some really great friends here too...
Cheers,
JvR
Lol, relax mate, ben is a career ass. he's obviously cranky and on the rag, and you happened to buy it (you should see him when he's feeling sadistic).
Greg Gordon wrote: John, meet Ben. Ben (La Strega Nera) has been posting here longer than either of us. He has been missing in action for a couple years while he was playing with two strokes and american V8s. He is a real engineer and is one of the most knowledgeable people out there. Yes he is a hot head that flys off the handle when someone says something he disagrees with, but that's why we love him here. I am glad he is back.
nothing to add. :lol:
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Assuming it's a 3.0 (only stroke is involved in the calculation) this means:

A mean piston speed at 7500 rpm of 18 m/s. With a redline at 8000 it would be 19 m/s. I don't know the V6 very good but this should not be a problem I suppose. The OE Nord rods take 24 m/s in my car.

To achieve 450 hp at 7500 rpm you need a mean combustion pressure of 18 bar. This means 420 Nm at that rpm. The max torque will of course be much higher.

So, the problem is not stretching but pressure. Personally I don't know how much the rods can take but lightening or balancing will not help much in this case. I'm sure someone else here has more experience in what torque the rods can take.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Micke,Im not too religious when it comes to using the stock GTA or new 164 rod in this application..Ive used std(I emphasize GTA or 164-NOT old gtv6 rods) on turbos with this type of spec..7000rpm is good and the power output is acceptable for the std rod imo...

Im almost certain that Chen`s tt 24v in Israel was built with gta rods..Its been some time,but I was involved in that motor with Dawie(turbo`s only--before my foreskin is re-attached here..)

My 4cyl turbo was the best and that used std, although prepped rods(With Chrysler ARP BOLTS...hehe...)That made 210 wheel hp and spun readidly(?) to 8000rpm...After 6500 it got rather eerily silent in its operation...

If I had the choice and money was not a problem,go a fancy rod ..othrwise Id stick to the std gta/164..

I would definatly put new bolts in though....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

joey wrote:Lol, relax mate, ben is a career ass. he's obviously cranky and on the rag, and you happened to buy it (you should see him when he's feeling sadistic).
Don't make me start on you Joey :P
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

i'll be good :shock:
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Silver
Silver

Post by 1166 »

For what it is worth... I have a friend who races a 911 in vintage. He has spent over $20K on the engine and he told me a lot of Porsche owners are using the Pauter rods because Carillo rods have been breaking at high rpm (I believe 8500-9000) and that Pauter rods are OK. I do not know the specifics of the failures.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Think I'll just use stock rods, clean'em up with a bit of sandpaper & call it a day, good for 156hp to 400+.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Rods

Post by x-rad »

I've been away for a while writing a research paper on ultrasound physics (not fun). I see that I missed all the action in this thread.I hope we don't lose Junglejustice as a member....His posts were most informative on many topics!!

I think we all understand that any information on any web page must be considered before implementation, but it is nice to have the info in the first place!!
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

Barry wrote:Mats,New bolts are not available here anymore..
Do you remember the part number for those Chrysler bolts? 145-6002, 145-6402?

Rod bolts of typical V8's might be cheaper due to high volumes..
Kimmo / alfatune.fi