Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Damn that looks fkn awesome! Can't wait to see what kind of power that will put down, be sure to post more pics :D
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Thanks Mez, will be posting more for sure, just waiting for mandrel bends for manifold, then it all flies together.

Mez will be putting alot of power to the floor, but not till driveline is upgraded, bigger injectors, ecu, etc. But yeah will be posting video of first dyno run and stuff and cant wait to see what power she makes. Once run in abit on 7psi, will then see what she makes with 12psi with ecu, then 18- 20psi should see some good figures, thats when this turbo makes all its power, so 250-300rwkw will easily be reached.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

wow, you did a good job :!:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Rz thankyou very much, hows your cars going?

Well after a ridiculous 3 months my engine is finally being
put together, was great to finally see the pistons in.
Earlier i mentioned how my liners were badly corroded from the water
up in Nth Qld, well it wasnt just my liners that recieved the damage, the whole inner block was so corroded, there was no way the liners could sit flat on its surface, rust was everywhere, so a new block my mechanic had handy and did me a good price, and at least it didnt hold up the rebuild anymore!

Here's a pic of the new forgies in.

I gotta say whilst doing this build how disgusted i am with the lack of after sales support there is. Once you buy a turbo for instance, you think i could easily find an 80mm silicone pipe, with a 60mm reducer on other end just so i can fit a fricken air filter!? Nope. Even the guy who sold me the turbo couldnt even supply the front inlet adaptor! So thats why the front housing was changed, but not at my expense. Also go to an exhaust shop and ask for steam pipe mandrel bends, damn can take afew trips, in the end i found the right place. In the end, great learning curve. Anyway, just little things like that have been a little frustrating lol.

Next week will have pics of manifolds all done before they get coated.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

hi garth,
my engine and all the goodies arrived from barry two days ago.
now those bloody customs and paperwork :evil:
hopefully everything is going to work out fine.
finally the 3,7 24v will operate in the black sz.
the red rz is almost standard.
one original and one for fun 8)
succes with your fine project,it is going to be one hell of a machine :shock:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Thanks again rz, look forward to some footage of your car when ready! :)

Was held back again today with manifold, straight sections of pipe didnt match the mandrel bends i had for outside diameter, so another weekend wasted.
Got my wheels back, car looks very different now. Also had my rear louvers painted in satin black, havent picked it up yet, so no pics. Also waiting on new side mirrors which will be satin black also.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

looking good garth cant wait to see this beast on the road. looks like melbourne is becoming the capital of v6 turbo alfas lol. i had the same turbo front housing on my last setup, and dont fully understand why you couldnt run it?
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey patzo and thanks. When i finally heard Rotormaster were the guys to talk to, i rang them and they had a twin inlet adaptor for me, but by then the guy at eastern turbo had already machined up a new one. I also had a smaller housing fitted than usual for i want boost to come on early, will spool up before 3000rpm. 0.64 turbine-0.60 compressor.

Was funny, was in a jap store last week looking for some silicone bends, and they had all these turbos up on a shelf, basically mine was massive compared to what i saw, hence to say, they didnt have a big enough hose for the filter to fit on. Still need a 80-60mm reducer lol. :roll:

Patzo hows your car going?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

cheap hoses and stuff try www.otomoto.com.au.
ah yes i think i understand now. ye i originally bought the t28 i was using from rotomaster also. some time late last year though i managed to acquire a brand new 35/40 off a xr6 turbo typhoon and its basically been sitting there waiting for me to fit.had some family circumstances and then what happenned was whilst i was building the turbo motor i got anxious to get back on the race track so i fitted a n/a 2.5 i had laying around in for practice and ive been caught up enjoying 155rwhp ever since. in a few months ill be fitting the turbo engine back in but for now im living up the fact that i can go to 7000 all day with moderate power and not worry about breaking anything, not that the turbo broke anything for that matter but the odds are obviously higher.so by the way looks like your getting your hands dirty and getting in there doing a bit of work yourself, you also get a hand from monza? and where you looking at getting this beast tuned?
Last edited by patzo_3l on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

What's the imperial size? 3"-2", 3"-2.5", 3.25"-2.5". 3"-2.25"?

Try direct from the suppliers or online, I know they definitely make them all. You can get the same reducer sizes in 90 degree or 45 degree bends as well.

Somewhere like http://www.horsepowerinabox.com carries the whole range of Turbosmart silicon hose. There's several other brands in that type of silicon hose that have online stores, worth having a look. Or you can try your local truck part stores as well - Queensland Diesel Spares carries it all up here, they just don't have the pretty layer that makes it smooth and shiny, but it's comparatively cheap.

ROCK ON
R~R
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Cheers Rookie, will come up with something.
Last edited by GarthW on Tue May 06, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

engines do take time, i mean waiting for bits to be machined or trying to find odd parts, but as long as it all came good in the end. non alfa related, i just have to ask what your thinking is behind that one?
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

It's interesting that non alfa related business- but you need to be careful- I've seen some Jap Turbo wizards do some wonderful things to my mates M3 turbo- holes in exhaust from leaning it out too hard under boost- lucky it wasn't more.

That said some of the light load tuning these guys get is great, awesome driveability on big turbo CA18s- I've seen some odd shops come out with great results-

All down to the tuner I guess

Garth what are you doing about your box mate? How much boost you putting through this ultimately?
Fixing it bit by bit....
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey Patzo, dunno why non-alfa related, i mean i hear of the good things these tuning shops do, but then again it was just a thought. Might check out beninca after its all done.

Jules the turbo is a newy from Garrett and made to run 20psi all day, everyday. It has no relation to the previous T28, which is nearly a 20-30 yr old design. It is 15-20% more responsive than all previous Garrett's made, so even running 1bar will be very quick, but yeah in the end once driveline is sorted will have the ebc with 20psi dialled in. Power to weight of this will be great, car weighs only 1130 now. And have more weight to take out.

Here's some more pics. My lovely mandrel bends, i love working with pipe, and getting to do my first custom manifold has been a great learning curve. But damn the hours just slip away, i curse the sun when it sets! Haha.
What you see is far from finished.

Basically what you see is headers shooting straight towards 3-1 collector.
Both heads will look the same. From the 3-1 collectors, 2" equal length runners merge to a single pipe which turbo sits on, pics of that part of manifold not all done yet. So boost is gonna come on oh so sweet.
Great to have dummy heads and block before my engine gets here. Would have lost a crap load of time if i didnt have.
Will post more soon. My engine all put back together, well just about. Ready tomorrow.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

G,What diameter are those steampipe bends coming out of the port ?? Dont go any larger than the outlet of the port.Any bigger and your slowing gasses down ,taking energy from them simply to make the turbine nozzle do the work all over again..
Also suggest you use a steampipe reducer to make your collector. You can get on center and off center reducers from base to 1x ,2x and 3 x sizes..What material is the collector made from ?
My opinion ? It will crack..

My 2c worth only..not to be taken as gospel.

8) :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.