MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Agree with Micke but would add that you also need to change the dog teeth in addition to the synchro ring on the same gear to get a clean shift.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Micke wrote:The weights sound low. The Alfa rims I know are heavier.
BTW, I just got a lot of OE 156 or 147 wheels in 6.5x16 and they weight 10.5 kg each :shock:
Micke I had a set of 17" wheels from a 147 on my car for a short while and they weighed in at around 20kg fitted with a 215/40 tyre! :shock:

Team Dynamics wheels are around 5-6kg/each, but again, depends on whether you want a stock or not look.

ROCK ON
R~R
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

CChan, as far as changing down gears into second- no matter how bad the box is, this will get it in smoothly, and quickly:

Gearstick in third gate-
Clutch in
Gearstick to neutral
Clutch out
Blip Accelerator
Clutch in
Gearstick to Second gate.

You get used to it, and I find I do it without realising sometimes, and you can do heel/toeing with it too.
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 Sec

Post by cchan »

Hi Jules,

How are you doing today?? I do double clutch when I drive this car but is this the only way to go? I have the oportunity to purchase a Milano Gear box with everything done to it as an upgrade to my Alfa. It was suggested that this will solve shifting issues.

It has the lightening of ALL of the gears as well and has everything that could possibly be done to this box including cross-drilling and back-cutting all of the gears to lighten 1-5 and reverse - even the reverse idler. It includes shot-peening all of the gears for strength etc etc. It also lightens that rear clutch-flywheel a bunch and is a fully balanced unit.

It is setup with 50% lock-up and a semi track/street clutch is included. Do you think this is over kill for a Street / Possible Club track car??

I don't know but maybe you or others know? Thanks again for any and all comments. :D
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Well CC, possibly the biggest change was noticed when I fit an LSD'd and good clutched 75 transaxle to my car- with the isostatic linkage. The box had fresh synchros in it, the clutch was a brass button type, and the LSD shimmed out to 65% lock up, which I loved - but it sux on a trailing throttle- wont turn very well- but a small price to pay.

First regret there for me was buying a 75 3.0 box with the 3.575:1 diff- wayyyyyyyyy too long for me. A 4.11:1 is much better IMO, but you lose the highway monster aspect, though its much better for the track- you can essentially drive it a gear higher and still pull away from a corner exit- with the long diff, I was waiting forever for my cams to come to the party. Shorter is better for traffic light GP too.

As for Double clutching- I never have any troubles even with an old style linkage and a box that is shot to shit- I can get it back to 2nd no worries- my dad's 90 (which was a shitter) was proof in the pudding as far as I was concerned.

Lightened and cut back gears- well reduce the reciprocating mass and you reduce the intertia, so less wear. For a big torquey engine, I would steer clear of this, but for a small revver like mine, I think it would be a great addition.The shift speed and feel is all in the linkage, and if that's what is worrying you, you need to speak to MD about his shift setup. Fuck me its amazing- feels like a Honda S2000....

I hated my GTV when I first drove it. Then a year later it felt fine. Now... 6 years on, I can change up and down a gear as quick as I like- I have accidentally found that stabbing the clutch just before redline on the way up to 2nd, a millisecond before I go for the shifter, I have this really smooth change- and double clutching on the way down doesnt bother me...
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

So yeah- get a Milano Gbox!

And have a look at the "Featured" link on the front page of the site- and MD's "Blue Lightning that's not blue" shift setup.... perhaps that is what you need!?
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

thanks for the input Sydnes Jules,

What do you consider a big torquey engine. I looked at This featured car in awe. I don't think I would be able to do this modification myself. The set up looks good. I hope that one does not have to go to this extreme to fix the shifting.

See ya :D
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I just get the feeling that anything bigger than a 3.0 or say, a turbo 2.0, and lightened gears, driven too enthusiastically, would not make a for a fun replacement operation!

Hey dont quote me though- because I dont know for sure! They could be fine to take some punishment- but I wouldnt be into the thing every living moment with say a 3.7 or big boost 2.0- you're asking for trouble!

With a light car like Micke's, or behind my engine- and a light car, voila- you have a perfect race gearbox (in need of a transmission cooler!)
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Jules,
So would you consider this set up a race car set up or a street car set up?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Jules,

For my racer, I am making an even simpler version of the shifter. It's already done but the car is not yet ready.

After some thorough testing of it at the track and subject to refining it, I might think about marketing a conversion kit to make it as easy an installation as possible. I will have to research the costs involved first to see if I can produce it so it is cost effective.

Watch this space..

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jules. 2 (small) Things.

a) AFAIK it is not possible to get 65% locking by just shimming. Need to change the ramps.

b) a 4.11:1 diff does not exist. Only Intel can divide 41/10 = 4.11
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Mike- youre the man. Everybody will be kissing your arse. Possibly even whipping your grass too. You never know!

Count me in !

Cool on the diff Micke- Im pretty sure mine has had the ramps done- I forget that about the diff.

As far as the diff goes, ive got no idea what youre talking about! Our 75 TS's came with a 4.11 diff ratio out here- are you saying Ive got the ratio but not the gearing wrong?

Because I probably do!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I've been thinking several times about doing the ramps. I decided not to do them yet as the LSD works with and without the JK adjustment to my satisfaction. However, I'm very interested in hearing experiences whether you feel any gain in the mod.

If you have a 4.11 diff the pinion has 10 teeth and the crown wheel 41.1 I suppose :lol:
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

How about 9 on the pinion and 37 on the ring gear?
Drive it like you stole it...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

which model is that?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!