zambon
Verde
Verde

75/Milano weight differences

Post by zambon »

What are the weight differences between different models of Milano and 75?
I am considering the purchase of another Milano. It is a silver or gold edition with no sunroof. It has a 3.0 engine in it though :D
The current owner says that US models without the sunroof are almost 300lbs lighter than a USA 3.0 verde edition. I would like to know how much truth there is to this claim. I am planning to make this car a fast street/ autocrosser and it would ice the deal if I knew this to be lighter than the Verde I had been planning to strip. I could then sell the Verde unmolested 8)
What differences cause weight variation in these cars?
Thanks
James
sira
Gold
Gold

Post by sira »

http://www.alfa75.info/id46.htm

List with specification of all 75/Milano models :)
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Sira, thanks for the link. :)

The alfa75 site does not have the weights specific for the US spec Milanos.
It lists the 75 2.5l QV model at 1160 kg or 2557 pounds, while the 75 3.0 is listed at 1280 kg, or 2822 pounds. A very big difference. I wonder where this difference comes from?
Perhaps the USA spec cars are different due to different equipment, Verde has abs which could add a few pounds, for example. Then there is the issue of the sun roof. I imagine the Euro models listed above had sunroof since they were special models, but I dont know.
Then there is the issue of the official specifications being questionable due to their source: Alfa Romeo :roll:
Has anybody put their Alfa on a scale?
LENZ
Gold
Gold

Post by LENZ »

I had a Milano 2.5 for a short eriod and this car had reinforced bars in the doors, like you see on more modern cars, these doors must weigh a lot more than the euro doors without the protective bars.
155 3.0 V6 24v Q2 NovaCorse
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

My US spec., stock standard, Milano Verde 12 valve 3.0 V6 with the stock sunroof weighs 2895 pounds on corner scales with half a tank of gas and nobody in it!

Jes' 3.7 with the interior and all of the P/S, A/C etc ripped out and the new 3.7 litre 24 valve in there weighs 2425 pounds... (Still with the "heavy" US spec doors, all of the glass, stock tank half full, stock US bumpers, stock hood, fenders and trunk-lid etc...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

zambon wrote:It lists the 75 2.5l QV model at 1160 kg or 2557 pounds, while the 75 3.0 is listed at 1280 kg, or 2822 pounds. A very big difference. I wonder where this difference comes from?
Not sure where they get their numbers, and I dont think there is actually such a difference. My 2.5 QV bone-stock was 1280 as they state for the 3L. I do however have a glass sunroof, maybe thats the difference?
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
sira
Gold
Gold

Post by sira »

I think that weight is from Alfa Romeo manuals for early 75/Milano, same weight write in it, I have it but it is for European models.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

the euro 2.5v6 was a lot lighter because it used the older type of bumpers, like on the TS and old Turbo. The harmonica-style bumpers on the USA types are a hole lot heavier than the thinner euro spec items. I also think there is a 49 ltr tank in the euro 2.5 versus the 68 ltr in the USA spec.
Drive it like you stole it...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

All V6 cars have the the large tank.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
JoeCab
Silver
Silver

Re: 75/Milano weight differences

Post by JoeCab »

zambon wrote:The current owner says that US models without the sunroof are almost 300lbs lighter than a USA 3.0 verde edition.
There were a handful of very light early Verdes without sunroofs - perhaps that is where the 300 lb figure came from. I speculate that Alfa used these light cars as "ringers" for the press or for events like the One Lap of America which ARI president Giuseppe Grecco ran in '88. I don't really know what was done to these cars to lighten them and only know of one still existing.

I should be clear - not all Verdes (or Milanos of any kind) without sunroofs are the same as these lightweight cars. Most non-sunroof cars are about 100 lbs lighter than cars with sunroofs.

Joe
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Mats wrote:All V6 cars have the the large tank.
Mine doesnt :P
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Conversion?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
firefox
Silver
Silver

Post by firefox »

Mats wrote:All V6 cars have the the large tank.
That's wrong! The 2,5l QV has the little Carb/TS fuel tank!
The Milano does have the big V6 fuel tank but not the 2,5 QV!
I know that because I've owned one and stripped a lot of them My car last only for a short period and then it was too rusty to fix and it was my spare part Alfa :roll:

As mentioned, the US Models got the much heavier bumpers and doors.
If you want to improve the weight of your car then get rid of these bumpers and get some TS/Turbo/Carb bumpers.... Difference of 40-45kg are possible but it's not that easy to change them......
Cannibal
Silver
Silver

Post by Cannibal »

I'd love a set of euro bumpers. How does one go about getting some? And at what price to get them to the US?

Canadian cars same as US?

Steve
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Bumpers........

I can get you some used bumpers, but I'm a bit worried about shipping from the Netherlands to the US. It probably is quite expensive.

How many of you guys need euro bumpers? Shipping would be less expensive if more of you need them. They don't weigh that much...... Hell, with some luck I can even get you a set in the color of your car :wink:

Let me know, maybe we can arrange something here.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring