Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

A new insane power level for SuperVerde?

Post by Greg Gordon »

I though I would run this idea by the experts here. I am quite certain we can bump SuperVerde up to 270 rwhp at 6000 RPM by going to 9+ pounds of boost and using a density controlled water/methanol injection system with a touch of nitromethane thrown in. We would also add in headers and a side out exhaust system.

There is no way we would run the car like this long term, just for days at the drag strip.

Do you guys think it will hold up? The crank, pisons and everything in the heads will be fine, I am concerned about the absolutely stock connecting rods, clutch and gearbox.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

The way that we get the turbo engine not to knock on 91 octane is to use the the progressive style alky injection to maintain cool intake temp. With the forged pistons you are using i so not see any problems with damage. The rods might be the weakest link. But as long as you do not detonate i do not see a problem. An intercooler would certainly help your system. Try http://www.alkycontrol.com/ or http://www.smcenterprises.com/ Denatured alcohol with alcohol lubricant(klotz) is the only thing required.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It's not really detonation I am worried about. It's the rods, clutch, Guibos, and gearbox. A properly set up water/meth system will easily control detonation at 9 psi.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Oh, and you are definatly right about the intercooler, it would help. However at this time I have no plans to add one.
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

I would be surprised if the stock tp clutch will hold at so much torque .
Also a thing to worry about is the center Alfa dounut and the final ratio which may snap(the pinion).
Engine and power was never the problem ,can always retard ignition and if not then Meth injection or better heat exchanger ,drivetrain is the main issue here ,don't forget to prepare a Tow-truck :!:
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Greg,

How will you accurately control fuel & spark?

This seems like the time to make the jump to Gotech or Megasquirt. :wall:

Dave
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Greg, if you drive it nicely, which I am sure you will, then most of the bits should hold up! Mine doesnt get driven too hard these days, but the only issue I ever had with it when I was taking it out for a good belting twice a week, and being nice the other 5 days, was a broken halfshaft CV boot, obviously from too many burnouts. Not that i have the same level of torque or HP, but you get the idea. The odd strip encounter will highlight any weakspots pretty much immediately, though. Just dont warm the tyres every run!

I'd wager Paul Kretzas' car is putting out more than Super Verde, and rather than destroying clutches, he just had to deal with slippage, or wheelspin, and there havent been any driveshaft issues- in fact I dont think he's ever done a donut in the 5 years Ive known him, and that's with a 7k redline and enough boost to pressurise a Cessna 410

Just do it ..... hehehe
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Giulietta24vTT: It doesn't have a tp clutch. I think the stock Milano clutch will hold if we are carefull. A sudden application of power may cause slippage but at least that won't break anything, and we can easily solve the problem with a better disk. The guibos are a weak link too, hopefully with care they will hold up. I totaly agree that the driveline is the main issue, I am not too worried about the motor. The pinions are weak, I have two of them in my garage that were broken on near stock 2.5s!

DaveH: Are you saying L-Jetronic is not accurate? I plan to control fuel and spark the same way I have been doing it. There will be a time to go with Gotech or a similar system, but not yet.

SydneyJules: Hey Jules! I hope the aviation carrer is going well. I try to stay away from those 400 series Cessnas. The Chieftain is much better. I love its density and differential controled turbochargers. Plus the engines are so tight to the fusalage that loosing one isn't that big a deal compared to say a 402.
I think you are right. The plan is to drive carefully and see what happens. We don't warm the tires and with 205/60 street tires they will break loose pretty easy which takes some stress off the driveline. If we ran 8 inch slicks I think something would fail pretty quickly.

Overall I am hearing what I expected. Be carefull and something might break anyway. I will let you guys know what happens when we do this in a few months.
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

I have big metal cross instead of the front dounut and a BMW item at the middle which seems to handle the engine, The front cross member has 15* degrees side movement ability which elliminates the rear donuts side pressures.
I'm afraid there is no single pressure plate clutch that can handle more than 500nm torque on the rear GB,I have tried different combos of pads and outer hights and it's slipping in middle of high gears and hard accel'.
good luck, take care,
C.
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Greg , from experience your motor will handle it(temporary until rods fail) but the box deffinately will fail if all your couplings are in good shape. Its not the pull off or sudden gear chainges that shredded my pinion, but the 'shear torque'. Not worth doing it . What torque figures you looking at ? 400 - 500 nm.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't know what an nm is but it would have about 270 pounds of torque at the wheels. We are still talking about it, but I don't think the transaxle will handle it. We may just leave it where it is a 228 rwhp.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

270 lbs-ft equals 366 Nm.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Mottic
Silver
Silver

Post by Mottic »

Nm = Newton meter - dumb metric system.... :wink:
Ryan
'84 GTV6
'91 164S x2
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Nm = Newton meter - dumb metric system
Hey Mottic,

It's only dumb if you think with your feet and btw, a metre is a unit of measure and a meter is an instrument.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Did I actually hear that right....
...a GTV6 owner worried about having TOO MUCH power? :shock:

:mrgreen: Next thing you know i'll be complaining about shifting into second without getting a slight syncro crunch! HA!

Rob