gtv6fan
Silver
Silver

2.5 3.0 litre ECU modification

Post by gtv6fan »

I apologize if I am starting a new thread on an old topic or putting this in the wrong place in the forum but does anyone know what what resistor or TTL chip to change in the ECU to remove the fuel cut off? I don't have the money to send my brain off the Gregs dad for the mod. ( 26 and on a budget)

I have recently aquired a 3 litre motor with S pistons and cams for my '84 GTV6 and can not wait to install it. The rods have been shot peened and the heads have had port work done.

Now you may be wondering how I aquired this gem with the few funds that I have. I was forced to buy two GTV6 parts cars ( major drag) one of which has this motor. BTW, both are total rust buckets but the motor has less than 1000 miles.

In order to prevent the risk of running lean at high rpm I plan to boost the fuel pressure by 2 to 3 psi as I plan to use the existing
2.5 litre hardware. I know that this will cause the motor to run slightly rich at low rpm but i am not concerned as my right foot has only two throttle positions, full on and off.

If you do posses this knowledge and are unwilling to post it in public for fear of bussiness(sp) loss please pm me. I now have many peices of unobtainium I might trade for the information.

All questions, comments and insults are welcome as I want to continue giving the rice and bmw boys fits on the track.
Drive fast and take chances.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

In my files I have this note which I once obtained from one of the forums

"To remove the rev-limit of a l-jetronic ECU you just have to cut the d701 diode. This will totaly remove the rev-limit."

I cannot comment on the effectiveness of this mod.as my car has a Fred DiMateo ECU which has the limiter set at 7200 RPM so I've never had to do it.If you don't get a reply from someone more knowlegable,it's worth a try-you can always cut one leg of the resistor and resolder if it doesn't work

Keep in mind that older GTV6's have a rev-limiting rotor in the distributor and there may also be something lurking in the ignition ECU :evil:

The factory sure wanted to make sure we behaved ourselves !
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

Hi mate the easiest way to not have a rev limiter in the ignition system is to remove the original rotor arm and replace it with one from the 2.3v6 ford engine ( here in the Uk the ford granada 2.3 and ford cortina 2.3 v6 had this engine wouldnt know about the us cars) I did this to my gtv6 and it works perfectly
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Replacing the rotor arm won't work. All U.S. spec GTV6s (at least all I have ever seen) have it built into the fuel ECU.

I will have full instructions on removing the rev limiter yourself on my site soon, as well as all other possible ECU mods, (fuel curves for various conditions etc. NONE of which I suggest doing). These instructions will have pictures, needed Radio Shack part numbers etc. The instructions have to be quite detailed because it's really really easy to wreck an ECU with these mods.

You can't just cut a resistor to remove the rev limiter, another resistor has be be soldered into the right spot. Off hand I don't think it's the 701 that controls the rev limit, but I will be double checking everything for the new article.