fortom
Gold
Gold

3.0 conversion

Post by fortom »

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to buy a 1989 164 3.0 automatic for a good price here in N.Z. I was looking at rebuilding my 2.5 motor but could get this car complete and running with 108k on the clock(car has rust issues).
This subject has been touched on before, but i need to make a quick decision so i would appreciate info on what needs to be done to fit this motor to my gtv6, engine mounts , bellhousing , flywheel. exhaust.....
Barry?????? :lol:

Cheers
Tom
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Have read through some of the old forums, seems like it should be not to difficult. Need a 4mm spacer for the gtv6 flywheel and might have to modify the bellhousing to fit ? the motor from the 164 is a 12v.. any info on the distributor on this engine ? Anybody??
Cheers
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Tom,does it have a dizzy?If so,it should be the Hall type ..Can be used to trigger any efi system..Is it mpunted on the rear of the head?If so,blank it off and put into the std position..It might need a bit of coaxing,I dont know,have never worked on a rear dizzy engine :D :D :D But anything is possible..

On the old 12v you would not need the 4mm spacer for the flywheel.,only new generation engines..

Gtv sump,gtv oil pump,eng mounts,bellhousing and flywheel-

You should be driving after all this..
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Thanks Barry, will go and have a look at the car tomorrow and check out the dizzy, if the price stays pretty low sounds like a good plan.

Will keep you posted. cheers

Tom
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

How you getting on with you 3.0l decission Tom? I rebuilt my 2.5 Litre using IAP piston and sleeve kit and new big end/ main bearings, hydraulic tensioner rebuild kit, Kelford cams done a regrind on the cams and other bits and pieces sourced from IAP. All for a bit under $3k. Sweet engine! Pulls very well indeed. I to looked at a 3.0 conversion but decided against that cause of the hassles with the computer/ignition ect.
I do have a 3.0 sitting in the shed though if you need any spares.

Good luck Tim.
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

How you getting on with you 3.0l decission Tom? I rebuilt my 2.5 Litre using IAP piston and sleeve kit and new big end/ main bearings, hydraulic tensioner rebuild kit, Kelford cams done a regrind on the cams and other bits and pieces sourced from IAP. All for a bit under $3k. Sweet engine! Pulls very well indeed. I to looked at a 3.0 conversion but decided against that cause of the hassles with the computer/ignition ect.
I do have a 3.0 sitting in the shed though if you need any spares.

Good luck Tim.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Hi Tim, the car was on trade me and went above what i was willing to pay. I would have used the engine , ecu etc and got rid of the body as it had rust issues. I still have thoughts of keeping the car original but would like the extra horsepower, so still thinking about the best solution. Will let you know what i decide.

Tom
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

You'll love the 3.0 extra punch! If it's cheap, go for it :wink:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Agreed. There is NO substitute for horses. 3.0 motors are cheap as chips these days.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Hi Tim, do you know of any 3.0 motors for sale ?
tom
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Yeah I've got one in the shed. Havent heard it running but the chap told me it was a good runner. Not quite sure weather I want to let it go... How much do you think its worth?
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

I have one out of a 75 with all the electronics, plug and play!
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.