FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Intake runners,length and diamater!!

Post by FLETCH »

Guy's,
what effect does the lengthening or shortening,and increasing the size of the intake runners have ?
Reason i ask is i am trying to decide what to do with the 3l i am putting in my gtv6,the 3l came from a 164,and has the longer rounded runners. as you know the plenum and runners need some modification to fit in a gtv6 engine bay.
i was thinking of turning the runners around 180 degrees and run the plenum done the passengers side head(RHD CAR).But the throttle body and the end of the plenum interfere with the cam pulley.so to get around this i thought about making the runners "run" further down the rocker cover(extend them about 100mm).
or put the plenum on the passengers side as above but instead of extending the runners,cut the end of the plenum and weld it back on at a different angle to clear the cam wheel .
i'll try to post some pic's to help show what i mean .
any help please

CHEERS ALL
FLETCH....
81 GTV 2.5 V6 (SOON TO BE 3L )
86 GTV6 GP
90 164 (ENGINE DONOR)GONE !!!
2013 Mito for the Wifey.
FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Post by FLETCH »

OK ,2nd pic showing rough position of plenum,and amount of extra length needed on runners,and 1st pic showing how the throttle body interferes with cam wheel.
Attachments
IMG_7975 S.jpg
IMG_7975 S.jpg (65.11 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
IMG_7979 S.jpg
IMG_7979 S.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
86 GTV6 GP
2013 Mito for the Wifey.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Why don't you use the GTV6's runners and plennum? A friend of mine did so and looks stock. :wink:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

There's an old thread somewhere on this but I cant remember if it was the old forum site. If my merory serves correctly (plenty of alcohol to preserve it :wink: ) the GTV6 / 75 runners are tuned for around 9000 rpm and the 164 runners for more like 7500 rpm.
I am on my 2nd 164 engine to GTV conversion (1 x 12v and now my car getting the 24v) and I have also seen MD's 164 conversion more than a few times.
Imho modifying the 164 plenum to run the throttle off the side of the plenum is the way to go. I used this as an opportunity to increase the volume a little. Bonus is that it all fits under a stock 2.0 bonnet.
I had (and occasionally still do) consered running twin plenums and throttles but that just stuffed the idea of retaining the standard Motronic setup.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey FLETCH,

If you wanna re-invent the wheel, go for it.
If you'd rarther spend the time chasing crumpet, why not give this (or the like) approach ? :D
Attachments
3 Litre Plenum Convesrion.jpg
3 Litre Plenum Convesrion.jpg (186.74 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

I believe lengthening the runners moves torque to a lower rpm for better pickup. Widening them increases the air to the engine, so you can get more power if you get the fuel right after that. But it may not be much if you don't get bigger valves.

Whether Alfa has the optimal length already, I don't know. But you probably won't change anything too much by your mod. Give it a try, I say.
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
FLETCH
Silver
Silver

Post by FLETCH »

MD and Daniel,have you guy's got anymore pic's of those plenums,some from different angles ?
cheers 8)
86 GTV6 GP
2013 Mito for the Wifey.