Exception
Silver
Silver

3.0 Conversion, what to do?

Post by Exception »

Hello fellow gtv6ers,

I have an 83 2.5 gtv6 with a staggering 300k on the stock engine. Yes it still runs, and not too bad even. But, It's getting kinda rough and I've been dreaming about doing a 3.0 conversion for years. The body work is in near perfect shape. I don't have much money but I saved up a good 3500~4000 dollars. I just moved to the US with the car, so I don't have any tools myself anymore, so I decided to let a shop do it. I am looking at Alfa Import Center in Ridgewood, NY or Alfa Auto Clinic to do the work. I would like to go over the various options with you, the knowledgeable resource, to decide on the details. Would you like to help me?

The objective is a fun fast car that runs reliably and smooth. It doesn't need to be crazy fast, but more power than I currently have is the objective.

What I have in mind so far:

Rebuilt 3.0 engine -> new pistons, rings, valve guides, etc, nothing fancy
S-Cams (good used)
Motronic instead of the L-Jet
BMW AFM
(Already have CSC headers, Greg's silicone tubes)
Attachments
alfacombo_small.jpg
alfacombo_small.jpg (96.94 KiB) Viewed 9127 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

With such a high mileage, you should also:

rebuild the front end
the steering rack
new dampers all round
new brakehoses and calliper kits
new rotors
new master cylinder kit
new engine coolant hoses
new wheel bearings
new driveline components
new clutch
new tyres
radiator core clean
suspension bushes
transaxle front and rear mounts

Stop now ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

No, it's just about the engine... :)
The rest of the car has been maintained in that fashion gradually. Rebuilt brakes, replaced most cyclinders (master, slave, brake), hoses, suspension, clutch, synchros, bushings, donuts, steering and so on, those are not the issue. All that is left now is the engine, which is the one component which still has 300k miles on it, and no work done. And I'd like some help with picking the options.

You really think this car went for 300k miles without changing tires?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I think you would be very lucky to find a decent 3.0 for around 1000-1500$. You might be better off bying a beat up Verde and selling off what you don't need. Check internet parts locators....

I found a 3.0 (untouched) for 800$, and rebuilt it for about 1200$ .... including new stock sleeves and pistons as well as gaskets, valve springs, and everything else you can think of. I just reused as much of the old engine as possible.

electronics: 1000+ clams....

Your looking at about 3000$ if you can find the engine at a good price without the mechanic's charge.

Right here in our want ads someone was selling an engine...maybe in your budget??
Enrique
Silver
Silver

wheel

Post by Enrique »

Exception:

What are the name of those wheels in the picture of car? They look cool. Are they stock or aftermarket? Will such wheels fit on my stock '85?

All:

What is a good US source for used GTV6 parts? I'm in need of some odds and ends but I desperately need some hardware for the radius-arm/upper control arm. Is there a source out there that has several parts cars?

Thanks.
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

x-rad:
We already have an engine.
I just want to have some hints on what else would be beneficial.

Enrique:
They are the illustrious Ronal A1 wheels that came as an official option when buying the car. I didn;t have them (as you can see in my avatar they are not on my car back then), but got them off a friend who had a spare set. They are extremely hard to find, but not expensive if you do. Since they are a stock option they fit perfectly. I think they are slightly wider than the original wheels, but you can use the same tires, which makes the tires look a little bit rounder which looks really nice (I think). They're about the best wheels for a GTV6 I think, besides perhaps the Zender ones, which look exaclty like the Ronal's though, perhaps a bit sleeker, but they're even harder to find and not always a perfect fit, and certainly not an original option.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Eurotec Motors in Livingston NJ is a great shop. I've been a customer for 14 years. My 3.0 GTV6 is there right now getting some maintenance and modification. Call 973-992-2800, ask for Mario. Or let me know how to contact you if you want more information. Easy trip from New York.

Nice Ronals, 15x7. I had the 4-bolt version on an Alfetta GT. Only wheel I like better is the OZ wheel, also an Alfa part and likewise now hard to find.

peter
karmat
Silver
Silver

Post by karmat »

Everything is easy when swapping the 3.0 from a 75/Milano. The only things you need to work out are the wiring to the combi relay and getting the throttle body, throttle linkage, and idle mechanism working properly.

Easiest thing is to use the engine harness from the 3.0 (just leave it attached), the throttle body from the 3.0 and the plenum from the 2.5. The only problem you hit there there is that there is now no idle valve. I solved this by just using a brass flow valve from an air compressor ($2) inline on the hose to the plenum. When fitting the linkage to the 3.0 throttle, use the 2.5 linkage and bend the one piece back to fit the original shape (you'll see what I mean when you put the pieces all together).

As for the wiring, there is an old post in the old discus forum where Arnoud de Haan gave me the info on which to connect. Search on that.

Use the 3.0 computers and the 3.0 AFM, of course. They can fit in the passenger side of the car where the 2.5 GTV6 injection computer was.

Karl
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Just a little update.
The shop that ended up doing it was Alfa Import center.
Although expensive, they did a very good job.

Because of the expense, and they charged extra fro the 3.0 AFM and computer, I couldn't put those in. It was cheaper for me to go with a GoTech system, and discard the AFM entirely.

So now I'm in intermediate stage. The new 3.0 engine was completely rebuild from scratch, with 164S pistons. Standard cams because I didn't have the money for those either.
Around January I hope to have the GoTech system in.

The car is certainly torquier, and faster. I think the 2.5 liter sounds better though, the 3.0 has louder typewriter noise.

I've had a host of unrelated problems with the car since. Sorry for not keeping in touch earlier. Most has been solved now, but it's tiresome to drive to Queens every time I need something fixed. I wish there was a decent place around New Haven.