cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 time

Post by cchan »

How much HP do you think and Alfa GTV6 needs to have a 0-60 time in 5-6 seconds.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Depends on gearing, and torque.

I'm happy to do a hand timed run for you next time I drive my car :wink:

Dont think I would be too far off that....
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 time

Post by cchan »

Thanks,

I am just trying to get an idea of the HP needed for educational purposes. Everything is moving forward on my body work & interior. The suspension seems straight forward enough in terms of my options. The only thing that I am not sure on is what I want in terms of engine modifications if any.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Well, Greg's Blower kit, or a stock GTA engine, with aftermarket headers and six throttle bodies sorta makes me cream my pants... :wink:

How about you CC?

I mean, its the torque you want, because I have a revver, and they're just race engines, so all Im looking at doing is making it bigger now.... so I can get some torque!

My 250hp get's me going, but it's not as leisurely as a GTA 3.2s 250hp....

Look at a 24v for sure... dont even bother with the 2,5 IMHO- turn it into a coffee table, or a mid mounted twin turbo alfa sud sprint experiment... :twisted:

(Did I say that or just think that out aloud?)
Fixing it bit by bit....
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

would 6 tb's make that much of a diferance...god knows it looks great but is there that much of an improvement gain to warent the expense?.....and show me where to get the TB's

back on subject....zero to 60 times are mostly based off of tire size gear ratios and weight of car/truck...once you know those things you can calculate how much torque you need...hp is mostly meaningless for the bottom end of things it doesnt come into play till the top end
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 Time

Post by cchan »

Ok,
I am getting more confused. Please remember I am not an engineer, scientist, or a mechanic. I just like fast cars among other things. I can tell buy looking at the forum that I am over my head and probably every post I seem less intelligent. Not my normal posture for the public domain. I am just gathering information to make an educated decision on the engine. Most new cars in USA they post 0-60 times & 1/4 times. They have HP & torque. Until I learn more engineering & scientific stuff you need to keep it simple for me.
Lets assume I have a 82 GTV6 with the higher gear ratio that I think comes with this year. No changes to the drive train except for changing the engine. How much HP does one need to get a 0-60 time of 5-6 sec? Maybe this is a complicated question. I don't know. For example: 300 HP with standard drive train will get 0-60 in 6 seconds? I don't know. Maybe 300 HP is too much for the drive train and I need to modify this as well.
Received an interesting email with HP options but have no clue what this means in real performance.
Another example would be the 426 Hemi that I put in my 70 Duster. The car was so powerful I did not even need to use the line lock since my rear tire were too small and I just burned rubber for days. Put slicks on the car and it was on.
Thanks for helping me reach the education curve and putting up with these simple questions. No Doubt though, I am going to fix the Alfa :D
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I did some quick and dirty calcs for my 84 GTV when it gets the 24v in it.
Based on torque, weight, gearing and tyres and of course how nasty you are when you launch it, I think mine should go 0-100 km/h in a flyshit under 6 seconds and do a standing 1/4 mile breaking into the 13s (13.9999 :lol: )
Proof is in the testing once the car is together but check out what any other car with 5.5 to 6.2 kg/kW can do and it'll be around that.
Should be enough to keep most of the local V8 boys honest and then we get to the first corner :twisted:
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Well CC, there is no exact formula for it all, because I dont think anybody has ever really tested it. It sounds like Daniel is using a Drag racing calculator to get his answers, but you need detailed information for accurate results.

As part of your rebuild, you should look at getting a 75 TS gearbox and shift linkage, because you will get a better shift and shorter diff ratio (4.11:1) with an LSD centre to boot. See Michael's links on the front page to speedo mods.

With a 3.0 24v engine stock, you should be quite comfortably a mid -high 14sec performer over the quarter.

I did a Gtec run once, which are slightly inaccurate, and I had my long diff ratio (75 3.0's 3.575:1), and a shitty launch saw me get a 14 dead.

Now my car snaps up to 8k redline really quick, but is horrible on a 500km drive buzzing around @ 3k rpm for 100km/h...

Six throttles deliver more torque and HP and when you tune them up properly you get really crisp throttle response.
Fixing it bit by bit....
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

yall got me realy curious on the 6tb's its a matter of sourceing them and playing with it lol

well since you understand how the hemi changed your duster...the you understand the power to weigth ratio a bit...more power and less weight doesnt mean squat if you cant get the rears to hook up lol..my 67/68/69 fishys are the same way...as for HP hp is what keeps you moveing torque is what gets you moveing..think of it this way..a car with 2.76 gears and 400tq/400hp is going to be VERY slow 0-60 but able to go say 200 mph that same engine and car with 4.56 gears is going to go 0-60 in under 4 sec but top out at say 120...its a generalization but the principle is sound and easily understood
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Oh come on Jules! Don't feed the fricken MYTH! :x

TORQUE IS HORSEPOWER AND HORSEPOWER IS TORQUE. And that the truth. :P

I'd rather have a 200nm at 5000 rpm engine over one that has 200nm at 2000 rpm, same torque but not even in the same city when it comes to power. With todays cams and management systems it's very much possible to have an engine with a nice and broad powerband, up top.

0-100Km/H times tell you about tires, chassis grip, gear matching and driver (and a little about power). 1/8 and 1/4 times tell you about driver and chassis of the car, the speed is the number to look at for power figures.

individual throttle bodies will do exactly null for power, it will however add a nice throttle response.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

cchan,i guess for about 6 secs you will need about 300hp!
the older porsche turbo with 300hp and lots of grip the 0-100km/u was 5,6sec.
and the gear shifting of the gtv6 is not very fast!!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Or you need a light car.

I've done 0-100 in 6.3 with 180 hp. 920 kg though.
Last race was dissapointing with 7 s to 100 km/h. The new clutch was MUCH more difficult to get fast off the line than original. Waaaaayyyy too much wheelspin.
Need to go back to school and learn starts.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

My 1981 911 could do sub 6 second 0-100km/h with its '89 model 230hp and 289Nm engine and gearing tall enough to push it over 250km/h. It was all about power to weight. That sort of power in sub 1100kg worked well. Maybe the 18x9.5" rears helped get it off the line.
Jules, I actually created the calc sheet myself but I'm also basing it on the fact that my GTV should be lighter than my porsche was and have similar or slightly higher power / torque figures and shorter gearing. Also smaller wheel/tyre combo at 16x8".
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

0-60 seconds

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the input: Lets see if I have this information correct:

Stock GTV6 160Hp 0-60 8.8 seconds 2702 lb. :)
Modified GTV6 300 Hp 0-60 6 seconds est 2702 est lb. :D

We have decided to set up for Street Show so the car will not be stripped down with the exception of the zender kit which I think made the car lighter since I do not have the stock heavy bumpers.

Does this sound correct in theory? Just trying to pin this down before I invest the $$ and time to upgrade the power train.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Chan,

The gearbox setup of the GTV6 is not optimal for drag racing. I'm just concerned that one day you try to rip a fast 0-60 time only to shear of some teeth of the ring gear and say "ok guys this car is not for me, project is now for sale" :D .

I mean the gearbox is not totally useless, but it's not the strongest either (not by a longshot). I've heard the WRXs also have "weak" gearbox...probably because some of the WRX owners are drag racing juveniles :lol: .

These cars do well from 2nd gear onwards. More of a canyon road burner instead of a dragstrip burner.

I've been using the same gearbox for many years on the track and haven't had any problems, just in case I gave you the idea that GTV6 gearboxes are crap.