TNT
Silver
Silver

watercooled?

Post by TNT »

Hi guys ,
Some years ago in an Alfa Club event in Greece i saw a modified 75 with the stock intercooler turned to watercooler (welded plates and with pluming comming and going) , i think it 'd be a good idea keeping it relativly stock and not having to worry to much for the heat soaking effect. Unfortunatly i don't have the fotos with me to post them ..but you get the idea.

Thanasis

75 Trofeo 1.6
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's exactly what I was thinking. It could be converted into a liquid to air intercooler easily.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
TNT
Silver
Silver

Post by TNT »

And while we are at it .... the throttle body is in a not so nice place (placed before the IC) so if somebody ditched it and instead used ..let s say Spica throttle bodies (probably along with an aftermarket ecu) i think it ' d help big time with lag (the IC would be already pressurised before the bodies open) and throttle response (air comming directly after opening and not having to go alla the way through the IC).It makes the whole rebuild/tunning a bit more complicated but.. ..it's just an idea.

Thanasis

75 Trofeo 1.6 (after it was stolen and took part in a robbery....got hit again yesterday...) :o
RicoGTV
Silver
Silver

Post by RicoGTV »

For the moment I run 20-30km .. it's very fun and soft.

In few day I will make hole on cover with this kinf of modif.. seen on a GTV_Turbo_Day_Race in FRANCE wich is pretty fast and reliable !! :lol:

When the tires are too hot... grass is not so far !!!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Yep...i gotta agree with TNT on throttle body position

IC then BOV then TB then intake manifold

this is a nice unit with Blow Off Valve mount already installed and made for inlet and exhaust on one side of a flat mount IC:

http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageActi ... ProdID=387

One thing though...I have a top central vent in my hood and after a run..it gets much hotter than the surrounding hood so I know a lot of heat is escaping UP through the hood. Placing a front facing scoop may help fight this air flow but I would really consider a separate intercooler outflow tract inside the engine bay exiting to the wheel well or side vent.

I think the best placement is front mount or wheel well. I used an oversized wheelwell IC on my Eclipse 2.0 and it kept intake temps down very well. It was located just in front of front right wheel well and the tubing was kept as short as possible. Air entered front right bumper aluminum scoop and exited out the front right wheel well mud guard.

Of course...if the inlet for the above pictured IC is at the front of the car and the exit is up and out of the hood, that would be a very good setup...an isolated cooling system
RicoGTV
Silver
Silver

Post by RicoGTV »

X-rad .. cold show me pic of your GTV engine... :lol:

thanks and regards,

Eric
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

no turbo here...yet....

this 3.0 is coming out for a mild-moderate modified 3.0....
Attachments
IMG_2264.JPG
IMG_2264.JPG (179.48 KiB) Viewed 8015 times
RicoGTV
Silver
Silver

Post by RicoGTV »

You like hot red !!

Sorry I think you have turbo engine.. I'm looking for all web pic of 1.8 turbo engine.. please help :oops:

regards,

eric
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

how about this one :lol:
Attachments
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 7999 times
Rice SAE
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

RicoGTV wrote:You like hot red !!

Sorry I think you have turbo engine.. I'm looking for all web pic of 1.8 turbo engine.. please help :oops:

regards,

eric
Exactly what do you want a picture of? I have a ton of pics on my former 75t engine but I won't post them all. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
RicoGTV
Silver
Silver

Post by RicoGTV »

you can mail me if it's possible.

frenchclubsport@free.fr

more I get and more I learn... :D
Fris75turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by Fris75turbo »

This is not ok... :(
I am also curious to see those pictures! :wink:
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

If you wanna see a real serious turbo set up, check out the photos of Paul K's Alfetta GT 1.8T I posted not long ago, in the performance forum too.

Yes, it goes Turbo, I/C, BOV, T/B. The only thing I dont like about his set up is that they cut the front guard out for the airfilter.

With the factory 1.8T setup there prob wont be too much room for a BOV. My mechanic finished a great job on a 1.8T Alfetta sedan not long back ( http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/photos/20 ... 0_2092.JPG ), and they went to the extent of hooking up a cold air feed from the front bumper to under the intercooer, and putting vents in the bonnet. Made a huge difference
Fixing it bit by bit....
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

How about enclosing the standard intercooler in aluminium and pumping water though the fins, turning it into a water to air intercooler? It's been done befor with other air to air intercoolers and it keeps the plumbing nice and short. Water to air intercoolers can work real well (tho I don't personally have 1). The Lotus Esprit turbo's used them. And so does Greg for that matter :D .