Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Daniel wrote:Jim, I'm that one guy !
Never have been into Muscle cars.
Give me a lightweight little screamer any day.
I guess that's why I like things like the Exige.
Yeah I'm with you on this one. I'd pick a smaller sports car anyday.
It's a pity the GTV6 isn't particularly lightweight.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

My brother drove a Buick Electra with a 454 in it. it had a short rear axle with a LSD and would smoke tires easily. it didn't corner or brake very good however... very thirsty also :oops:

Drive it like you stole it...
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

all it needs is outriggers.....
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Allright, this is the wrong place for all this but as a last note, who can top or resist this:
http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=300188090205

I rest my case, no more talk of this here.
Jim K.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote: it didn't corner or brake very good however... very thirsty also
A succinct description of most Detroit cars! :mrgreen:
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

just does not do anything for me, guess I see too many of them around here....
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Also the fact that it is about the same size as an aircraft carrier and stops and turns like one as well.
Sorry Baz, we're waaaaay off topic here.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yep! We certainly are!

Ditch the boats and lets get back to this single turbo install!
Fixing it bit by bit....
q4_fre
Silver
Silver

Post by q4_fre »

Hello all!

Nice projects going on here!

Maybe this is not the right place to place this questions - but anyways - here goes!

See that there are some v6s here that are turboconverted - you guys would have some experience I think...

Myself I have made an 2.7l for an 96 GTV TB. I bored the 2l V6 block to fit the 3L 164 liners and pistons - and used the 2l crank. 164 3l heads with std cams. With an T4 Turbonetics this one runs very well. Have not had one problem with this engine, 6500km driven so far, 1 - 1.8bar boost..

The reason I used the 2l block instead of the 3l 164 block is that it has the special oil sprayers in the bock - oil piston cooling. Anyone have any experience in using / not using them?
To me it feels extra good to have them.

Will soon start to rebuild my 84 GTV6 (bought it crashed), and is thinking of building an turboengine for that car - single turbo. Will an engine without the oilsprayers cape with around 350hp?

What block is recommended to use - cams - heads - headgasket - pistons - compression ratio - boost pressure - engine management and so on?
Would be nice it someone could share some of their experience on this...

Fredrik Dahl
NORWAY
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I would still like to fit the oil squriters anyway- you may as well spend the extra little bit of cash on insurance like that- it's cheap.

Thats what I think is logical. I cant see why a single turbo Alfa V6 with low comp under a bit of boost wouldn't dawdle with good light load tuning and a smallish turbine wheel. You pull it apart, prep your rods a little, fit your forgies with nice pins and clips et al put it together carefully, run it in nicely, and on 10psi, it would be so un-stressed as to behave almost like a more torquey big bore, right?

But then it would become almost like it's bottled up- being choked. It's like the engine could so easily take more. And then you have a weapon in the making and all the crap that goes with that.

I wouldn't be able to stop myself. I would break things all the time. ANd I'd end up need a Getrag, and the rest.

What would it be like on an 8.5:1- 2.5 with a GT30 running a smallish turbine wheel? Less likely to break stuff, but still fun?

So is it an E34 style M5 box Baz? What about bellhousing?

Damn Bazz at it again mate.

JT9D hot section for heat shielding. That's f===n tops, mate. Tops!

Greg- Im hopefully getting my Chief endo. in 6 months. Cant wait! I had a friend who ditched a Chieftain into the Pacific halfway between Honolulu and San Diego, left turbo departed when my mate was asleep in the Left Seat. Bladder ferry bags and an assymetric chieftain meant that they ended up flying for 2 hours in ground effect before ditching. Say goodbye to 14 hours.

Sounds like you've done some nice stuff yourself Q4 Fre.

More pics- even of old ones barry- I dont mind- :twisted:
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Jules,

I am glad I wasn't there for that adventure. I never had a turbo fail on a Chieftain, of course all my flying in them was at night, so I could see the turbo piping glow, if it started to glow too much I could pull the throttles back a bit. I love the Chieftain, and especially its turbo system. It's both density and differential controlled, so operating it is a no brainer from the pilots point of view.

Greg
Sorry for getting off topic, but, it's still turbo related.
Tamariini
Silver
Silver

Post by Tamariini »

q4_fre wrote: Myself I have made an 2.7l for an 96 GTV TB. I bored the 2l V6 block to fit the 3L 164 liners and pistons - and used the 2l crank. 164 3l heads with std cams. With an T4 Turbonetics this one runs very well. Have not had one problem with this engine, 6500km driven so far, 1 - 1.8bar boost..
Hi!

Does it have a bit too low CR with 2.0 V6 crank and 3.0 pistons? ~7 i think?

I made an 3.0 V6 turbo for an '00 GTV TB using almost same methods as you.
I use 2.0 V6 TB block bored to accept 164 3.0V6 liners and pistons, Lancia thema heads and cams so it has same piping layout as GTV does and Garrett GT3076R turbo. Pistons are shaved 1mm off the top so CR is about ~8.3. Stock fuel injection with 390cc injectors.

Runs actually quite nice so i'm planning similar engine on my alfa milano using megasquirt'n spark :D

-tamariini-
Finland
- Alfa 75 3.0 V6 Turbo +300kw -
- Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Berlina -
- Alfa GT 1.9JTDm 16v -
- Alfa GTV6 3.0 V6 24v -
q4_fre
Silver
Silver

Post by q4_fre »

Hello!

I have not calculated the CR - but the engine is surprisingly fast revving and very good torque without boost - much better than standard 2l - the cc comes in here I think..

How is the 24V block compared to the 12V? Those have oilsprayers in the block?

Will an 12V head fit an 24V block?

What I now want to do is fit an 3l engine, turbo in my 84 gtv6, with Megasquirt. Can just take off the pistons a little or have an thicker head gasket to get the compression down. The cc seems to help bigtime!

What do you guys do about the transmission / clutch and so on?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
DSC00498.JPG
DSC00498.JPG (151.33 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

8)
Attachments
DSC00500.JPG
DSC00500.JPG (145.16 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.