Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Interesting drag race

Post by Greg Gordon »

We had a unique opportunity to compare various mods today in a head to head drag race. The outcome of this was not really in doubt, but was still an interesting comparison.

My dad's grey Verde ran WITHOUT its supercharger, and with it's 8.8:1 pistons (obviously a disadvantage). It did have my air intake on it and it has a very good exhaust system with a Magnaflow power Y, and dual Magnaflow mufflers. It did not have a cat on it today. This car is known to be about even with a dead stock Verde, perhaps slightly faster.

The other car is a black Verde with "S" pistons, "S" cams and headers. It does have converters on it, two very expensive performance converters. It also has an ANSA exhaust system aft of the cats. Both cars were just tuned up by my father and both running perfectly.

The black Verde with the pistons, cams and headers won, but it was pretty close. We used a rolling start to eliminate some variables. The black car pulls away and gains about 1/2 a car length almost right away. From there it very slowly pulls ahead to about one car length, but at one point in the rev range dad's car gains some distance back. At the top end of second gear the black car is only about one length ahead meaning it's rear bumper is even with the front bumper of the other car.

Pretty interesting. The black car is set up exactly the way I would have done it ten years ago when "S" pistons, cams and headers on a 12 valve 3.0 was the hot setup. Those performance mods do work as demonstrated in this drag race.

Sorry about not having a Video. My cameraman is grounded tonight and has engaged in a retaliatory work stoppage.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ok, i will forgive you Greg for no video action.....in time i will forgive :lol:

Interesting how it ended up being close, with your car having the cams and everything....not having a Cat installed on your dads ride would have helped i suppose, cats i know nothing about, but surely would be restrictive :?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I may try to have repeat today and get a video. My camerman had a good nights sleep and now seems willing to do some work. I don't think he wants to be grounded again next weekend!

The cats are supposed to be so good that they only rob 1 or 2 horsepower. I think "S" cams add about 5, the high compression pistons probably add 5 and the headers and exhaust about 5 so the black car is probably about 195-200 flywheel horsepower. The low compression car is probably about 180-185.

As interesting as this drag race is, I find the comparison between the viewers here and at the alfabb of interest. Here if you post a performance topic a very high percentage of members view it and comment. On the Alfa BB you get almost nothing. On the other hand if you post a topic about a shiny new emblems over there a jillion people will read about it an comment. This site is definatly the hard core performance site.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Greg,
You have stated that the expensive performance cats are "supposed to be so good that they only rob one or two horespower." I have heard a people say all sorts of things about the stock cat on our cars. On the extremes, one person claimed that the cat took 10 hp on a stock verde, and an exhaust man said that he didnt think that removing the cat would make a noticable difference on my friend´s GTV6. I am assuming "not noticable" means less than 4-5 hp?

How much power does the cat consume?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

If we are talking about the stock cat in good condition on a stockish car, I doubt it robs more than 5 horsepower, probably more like 3.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

great comparison, I second Garth though...I want to see some vids! hehe :D
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hi greg, with what you mentioned in regards to the different kind of people makes sense. Here we all(well most of us) would prefer to do our own work on our cars as much as possible, for that feeling of self achievement is second to none.

Where you get other people who are used to throwing a chequebook here and there to achieve what they want, but without real proper understanding of what they've just paid for, in other words the ppl on that other forum.
Its not a bad thing, damn its what makes the world go round, but thats just it and your right.

I will admit i was like this quite afew years ago, but then i had no friends into performance cars, never grew up with a father who had mechanical knowledge, no confidence to have a go, tools i needed, etc.

And i must point this out, its people like you Greg, you actually make and help this forum to be what it is. You make ppl hardcore so to speak, becoming more mechanically minded, actually wanting a more detailed description on whats going on with these amazing cars of ours.

My god i only joined awhile go, i've nearly 100 posts up now, not including the PM's that have been sent.

Not only do you guys offer help without question, the emails, photos shared, links offered from footage all over the world, from all the years of hard work and dedication, you give us such a better understanding.

And you inspire all of us,

and for that we could never thankyou enough.

Kindest regards,

Garth

:wall: -ok might just get out of here without anyone noticing......

Psssst Fedezyl, i know vids are great, i've got that drag race between Greg's gtv6 Vs Cobalt SS, love watching it. Going to send a ultra sneaky virus to extract all of Greg's video footage to sedate our craving straight to my computer, then will offer downloads to you guys from $5.95 a MB, hey this is Alfa footage here!! :twisted:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks for those kind words!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yes,I second Garth`s post...Very few dedicated enthusiasts that go to your extremes Greg..Ill fly with you any day!! :wink:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Barry wrote:Yes,I second Garth`s post...Very few dedicated enthusiasts that go to your extremes Greg..Ill fly with you any day!! :wink:
Yep, indeed, I have to say many great ideas have come from this forum, whenever I want to look at concours car pictures, I go to the AlfaBB, by the way Greg, I really trully envy you flying that 727..... :twisted:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

It got me thinking earlier in regards to all the high demand for performance vids of alfas(greg and barry are namely to blame for this sickness which has infected all of us) that i thought something could and should be done about our craving and withdrawal symptoms of alfa performance vids.

This might sound crazy, its just an idea, and would not happen for quite sometime, and well its a little thing that i would love to do being an alfa nut and so fourth, anyway this is what i would love to do!

Ok, my dad has a little spot in Tuscany where i'm planning on visiting sometime in the future, for i havent seen the family plot yet. But from
there i could travel around europe and compile storys and vids on alot of the alfagtv6.com forum members alfas. From there could make a special trip here or there not so close to europe. This would take time, but what a journey it could be.

Would give me, and other members a chance to prepare their rides in anticipation of having their car featured, to prepare their ultimate alfa for all to see. Of course it doesnt havent to be modified, whatever, as long as its an alfa!

Could all be compiled onto a dvd, and free copies sent to who's cars are featured of course, and sales from other copies would be donated to the website.

Anyway would love to hear if anyone has any ideas on what they would like to see in a performance alfa video..?

Race track footage, drag/sprint/khana.? Performance comparisons/lap times/drag ET's? Quick-time footage of an engine being pulled down from stock, then being modified/supercharged/dyno-run? Show&Shine events, cruises, meets, etc.

I have some ideas, and if this thread gets going, i think we could have ourselves one hell of a great dvd to have in our librarys. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Garth,Easy way is to collect vids via e-mail etc. and then compile at home??
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yeah that i could do, but i would like to film it my way, i have a great eye for detail and i'm very fussy when it comes to filming and such :roll:

But in the end i could do it for my own fun i suppose...?

I think the email thing is a good idea though. But i'm going to be in europe someday anyway, and while travelling around would be good to film some cars.

Actually the email way could be an easier way...

Barry, would you consider filming one of your builds?

Other members could start doing the same, i can do all the editing, and compile like you said. Doesnt matter how long it takes, can have footage of build, then of car on road/dyno etc...?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I love the idea, i'll make a video whenever my Giulie is ready....sometime this couple upcoming months, hopefully, it's been 5 months at the electrician...anyways, count on me!!
:D :D
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Wow 5Months at the Sparky!!

Get her outta there! :lol:

look forward to seeing your footage! 8)

Selling 1985 GTV6.