ian 159
Silver
Silver

Alfa 159i Performance Upgrade

Post by ian 159 »

Hey,

During the mid 80's in South Africa, a few very special Alfas were born. We are probably all aware of the great 3.0 GTV6's of those days! Now, another model, just as rare, was the Alfa 159i that was born as a "last of the range" breed to celebrate the best of the last Alfettas.

I have one of these cars and it is fitted with the classic 2.0 twin cam motor with single spark head, but has the variable intake valve timing fitted, and set up for fuel economy rather that sportiness. In stock form it delivers 97kW (130BHP) and 183Nm of torque, along with longer gear ratios. The performance is quite good for an engine developed for good fuel economy.

I would like to know if anyone else out there knows what modifications can be done to this engine in order to provide some more serious poke? I am planning on rebuilding the car completely into a stunner, but am looking for around 170bhp from the engine.

The original pistons are borgo 10:1 and the valve sizes are Inlet 44mm and exhaust 41mm. The 10.4:1 pistons don't work because of the VIVT.
IAN 159i
ALFETTA 159i
2.0 VIVT, GASSED, PORTED WITH CAMS, 15" COMPOMOTIVE SPLITS
SEMI-SLICKS
ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Welcome to the site Ian.Always good to have another South African boytjie onboard.

I remember the 159i with great affection for two reasons.First off my one mate drove one for quite awhile and secondly,my first Alfetta GTV (79 model) was fitted with 159i 10 to 1 comp pistons. :D

I am not sure if you knew an Italian who worked out of Strjdom Park by the name of Amadeo ? Well he was a very loveble Italian who built this motor I had.He wouldn't divulge much other than the pistons,the fact that it had what he refered to as SS and RR cams.Larger valves and a head that was gas flowed and ported.Car ran 40 Dellorto's and old style dizzy with rotor... :lol: Money was tight as a youngster back then. :cry:

Anyway amadeo reckoned if you wanted to make power from a 159i you had to ditch the Variable cam timing set up.Considering the fact that the 2.0 litre he built for my car could easily run from standing start to 200km/h with the then BMW 328i that Rob Green had worked on should tell you enough.

That car had many a BMW,Opel 2.0 litre 16V,RSI and VW Golf 16V ask me to pull over and show them what I had under the bonnet I kid you not. :twisted: One 325i BMW owners face when I pointed out the antiquated carbs and dizzy set up was priceless.His wording involved a lot of @#$% @#$% at my antique GTV's performance. :lol:

Best bet is to pop Barry a PM and get yourself some good advice.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

When I saw those 3 numbers I couldn´t believe my eyes...I thougth you were talking about that GM with an Alfa badge... :lol:
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ian,Dont know if you ever saw the green 159 with the 30l turbo motor in it??
Damn,it was a real sleeper as they only came fitted with a snooze 4 cyl motronic engine... :wink:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Hi Ian, please post some pics as i had one for many years, not the fastest Alfa i ever owned but it was a great cruiser and damm ecconomical. Yes Barry i remember the green one..... awsome!!
Cheers
Tom
ian 159
Silver
Silver

Post by ian 159 »

:lol:
Guys,

I haven't seen the green one. I wish I did though! Well, about those pics: The car has been standing in my mom's garage for the past two years (still roadworthy, every year I renew the license but drive out less fuel than the cost of the license!). So it's quite dirty, I hope you won't mind! I will take some pics over this weekend and post them under this topic.

Yes, it's not one of the fastest Alfas I've driven either but the current handling set-up of my car is impeccable: Ive stiffened up the suspension, fitted 15" compomotive split rims and semi-slick tyres. And that's only the start of the project!...
IAN 159i
ALFETTA 159i
2.0 VIVT, GASSED, PORTED WITH CAMS, 15" COMPOMOTIVE SPLITS
SEMI-SLICKS
ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS