Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

PQ, you are lucky regarding the balance question! In a 3liter engine with std pistons and JK rods, you are only off by 1% as far as the balance factor is concerned in relation to the std rods. In practical terms, this means you don't have to rebalance. If you also change to forged pistons, then you definitely need rebalancing.
Std rods with bearings are 661gr, JK rods with bearings are 643gr (lightening std rods the best possible way results again in 643gr but with about 30kpsi less tensile strength compared to these 4340 steel rods)
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Well I never balanced the assembly with the JEs. Wish I had done it. I'll do the THS (or is it JK?) rods in the 24V.
Dr. Alban
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Really man? You're getting rods for the 24v?? I didn't know you were going all-out on this one. You wouldn't be converting to solid lifters would you?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If you look at the label on the box Z, the p/n is: THSROD-AV6JK...must be some connection there! :wink: Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I never noticed that. I will have the wife update my site and start calling them THSJK rods or something like that.

Greg
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Grant,

I don't need solid lifters as I don't plan to go past 7500 rpm. Once you start going past 7500 rpm regularly, everything will start to wear down quickly, valve float, guibo blowing up every year, etc. Too many problems.

Right now with a 6900 rpm limit, my guibos have lasted more than 4 years. But why I chose the rod is, the failure on these would be catastrophic. Broken block, bent valves, pistons, etc. And this can happen since the rods on my 24V is around 80K miles already.

Besides have you checked the price for stock V6 rods + rod bolts? Stock rod bolts alone will cost you $130. You may as well get the JK's con rods, comes with ARP bolts.

This won't be a race motor, just a slightly warmed up 24V. Maybe a 3.2, that's it. Most parts are already here, except for my runners and plenum.....
Dr. Alban
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Sounds like a smart plan. Someone warn Louis then; his car sees redline leaving his street :lol:

Did you decide on cams/no cams?

That's pretty awesome that you've got your own rods, Jim!
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Re: THS performance connecting rods

Post by kterkkila »

It seems that THS rods are 131.1mm long, but my std 24V were 0.2mm shorter. Are THS rods ment to be longer, or are my std rods shorter than usually?
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

wow, center to center is 0.2mm off???
Dr. Alban
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

The 0.2mm would add compression up from 10:1 to 10.2:1. That wouldn't be bad in most of cases, but I'd like to know if the std cr 10:1 should come true with 130.9mm rods, not 131.1mm.
Kimmo / alfatune.fi