cchan
Platinum
Platinum

High Performance Starter

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

Well my project is almost done and we are so happy. Took a lot longer than we thought.

I need some information on a starter for GTV6's. We have installed a 1994 164LS 3.0L 24V into an 82 GTV6.

The new engine is stock except for GTA cams and 44MM intake runners. We also did all the necessary modifications to correctly fit the motor and have a custom plen. We hope the engine has 270HP at the flywheel.

The current starter drags and does not turn fast enough to start the engine. Also the large green wiring from the Starter to the firewall becomes extremely hot when cranking over the engine. If we push start the Alfa it will start up but will not idle.

We think we have a new solinoid and this maybe the problem but we did not install this yet. Before we do this is there a High Performance Starter that we can use besides the stock one? We think that we have a 164 stock starter setup. We think that maybe because of the modifications that were done to the engine the stock starter is not strong enough. What have other done in to their 24V??

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions.
Verde

Post by Mats »

Stock wiring?

In my experience the stock wiring is quite on the limit for the stock setup and 25 years later...

I hooked up a relay on my 75 turbo to the starter just because the stock wiring was a problem, started like a champ after that. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Barry's modification of using the 164 strarter worked very well on my multivalve set up and I have subsequently copied this on my other multivalve motors as its far more effecient. Im sure that the modifications on this motor have nothing have absolutely nothing to do with the slow starter. There are also a few 24v setups using the old gtv starters with no problems. Before you chainge to the other starter set up check all your connections from battery to bulkhead(not getting hot there) first ,as I have also had problems there(bad connection at bulkhead. Relay is essential as Mats said otherwise you have zero chance no matter what starter you are using. Check voltage drops. Then if you are still not winning check old starter thoroughly(solenoid, brushes , windings etc). Why I say all this is because you need to have the engine out to do the the164 starter coversion as this entails linings up the starter, making brackets then testing it engages properly with the flywheel. (not a simple job). Other words exhaust all other options before you go this route as the gtv starter does work properly on this setup.
I had the old starter intially and had the same problems you are experiencing and jumped to conclusion that this was the problem fitted a 164 starter which I then burnt out due to bad connections under continuos cranking. Sorry about waffle.
Fris75turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by Fris75turbo »

Mats wrote:I hooked up a relay on my 75 turbo to the starter just because the stock wiring was a problem, started like a champ after that. :)
Same story with my Turbo! :wink:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Maybe there is something wrong with the solenoid. Usually bad wiring means it doesn't have enough current for the solenoid to push the shaft to the flywheel, that is when you just hear a click sound from the starter and nothing happens. I use a relay for the solenoid to fix the click and no start problem.

If you have a 13:1 compression engine, maybe there would be a problem for the starter, but your 10.7:1 compression shouldn't pose any problem to the stock starter.

What if you good used starter from APE or just send your starter for servicing? Servicing it and have it looked over, like what Kevin said, is probably the best solution.
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

I use the std GTV starter on my GTA engine without problem. The only thing is that my computer don't have cold-start program, so sometimes I have to start twice. But that's all. Before I installed it I went and service it to be sure that it's in a good shape. We also installed a relay to not to stress the whole wiring and the battery so much.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

GTV6 starters are strong andwell built for the era.

Like above, extra relay helpful. I took mine apart and cleaned everything, 30 years of dirt, all was in good order .....added a little marine grease to gear shaft and spring, also check gear teeth for excessive wear
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Solder this lug to its cable..lots of heat and let the solder flow..
Attachments
sshot-1.png
sshot-1.png (31.79 KiB) Viewed 8448 times
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
don hodgdon
Silver
Silver

Starter Relay?

Post by don hodgdon »

My starter has begun to crap out (it just clicks when turning the key, it starts about every 4-5 attempts) and I ran across this thread while looking for starter info.

Could someone who has installed a relay to the starter post back with which relay they used?

Thanks!
don
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Any 30 amp relay should work fine. I.e. a stock Alfa relay, not one for the indicators though. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I can't believe there are still people out there without relay-operated starters! :shock: Trying to minimize circuit currents and preserve switches etc is very important when parts for our cars are slowly but surely disappearing!
Same thing you must all do with the lights! It will save the precious switches AND give more light! :idea:
Jim K.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

mines just starting to do the click trick about 1 time for every 30 starts...and i still havnt relayed the headlights :oops:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Here's what usually happens:
Its a rainy night and you're out somewhere nice with your wife, you're both wearing your best for the occasion and its time to go home. You rush to the car with the wife waiting in the club entrance with another couple, you quickly get in the car and turn the key.... :twisted: :twisted: NUTHIN!! turn it again, STILL NUTHIN!! :oops:
You vaguely remember reading somewhere about some damn relay....
We all know what happens after the wife in high heels and your friends push-start the car.... :lol: :lol: :oops:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

JimGreek wrote: We all know what happens after the wife in high heels and your friends push-start the car.... :lol: :lol: :oops:
Jim K.
The light stalk release the magic white smoke? :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

my wife in heel's :shock: (hell we got married barefoot)

...shes more likely to pop the hood and start looking for the fix....gotta love a gear head wife!!!!

ill put the relay on the to-do list along with the dakota sgi5 :oops: