Amit_Alfaman
Silver
Silver

Performance Motor for Giulietta 116 2.0L

Post by Amit_Alfaman »

Hi guys,

Whats the max horsepower i can get from a 2.0L Giulietta motor? I asked around and i heard its about 180bhp with the ffg mods:
1. Bigger Valves
2. Wild Cams (11mm lift i think)
3. Borgo 10.4:1 pistons
4. Gasflowed head and ported valves.

Is there anyone in South Africa who can help me locate a set of Borgo's?

Many Thanks
AJ
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Borgos? Why not buy something designed in the last 30 years? :wink:

Have you read JimK's book? It pretty much outlines exactly how to build a strong engine. 12-13mm cams, 11-12:1 pistons (or more), 46mm valves and so on...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

But then Amit would have to buy all new racing suit that says Honda or something...

easier to buy old Alfa engine and fix up than get a new wardrobe! :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

eeh, whaaat?

Since when is it a Honda if you buy pistons that are actually good? Or what do you mean?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Nice answers :(

But Maz' point is right. Start with Jim's book.
About 180 hp is realistic and slightly more when you pour loads of bucks into it.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Amit you can obtain a copy of Jim K's book from Motorbooks in Craighall Park in JHB.Look in the back of CAR magazine for their advert to obtain a phone number.

Or you can send Barry a PM to offer you decent advice on what you can and cannot do based on your budget.Barry is based in JHB and trust me he won't feed smoke up your ass about the cost's involved or the horsepower to be gained. :wink:

My own brother is in a similar predicament as he loves the old Nord motor.Problem is if he want's to mod it and keep it N/A it's going to cost him more than my own V6. :shock: Or he can go the turbo route which is something you might also consider depending once again on your budget.

Anyway we hope to see more of you on the site and good luck. :D
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

http://www.motorbooks.co.za/

Almost forgot that they have a website... :oops:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

It's pleasing to see that people are getting back to basics and discussing the blood and guts issues that this site is renowned for.

Good stuff.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Amit_Alfaman
Silver
Silver

Thanks

Post by Amit_Alfaman »

cant thank you guys enough for the advice.

Its the first time i am building an engine. My first car was stock standard so we left it that way.

I picked this Giulietta up for a song so we're gonna spruce her up a bit and tweak that engine to the max. I am in the process of purchasing Jim's book thanks to the info from you guys.

I will contact Barry as soon as i can make the time. What do you guys suggest for exhaust? 2-into-1 or 4-into-1? The car is not gonna be used for daily driving, its purely for the racetrack.

I have a quote for R1200 (approx $175) for bolt-on K&N's for the side-draughts.

I know the Giulietta has two flywheels, what are the circumstances of lightening both?

Many Thanks
AJ

PS. I would never drive anything except ALFA.
I waited 18 years before i bought my first car (82 Giulietta) and have never driven anything since. Not even for a single kilometre.
Attachments
Paid R3000 (approx $429)
Paid R3000 (approx $429)
Romeo1.jpg (151.95 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

AJ

You got a lot of questions and it's only the start of it. You will have 2,000 more before you are finished but you're learning so that's a good thing.

Instead of getting your info in bits and pieces and taking off into directions that you may have to retreat from because you didn't have the big picture (and many of us have been there)., may I suggest like everyone else is saying to you, get the book. Read the book. Ask clarifying questions after. We will all be pleased to help I am sure including Mr Bird Brains, JK who wrote it. :D ( That should get him out of hibernation. Must be that cool Greek summer he's escaping from...)

It is your best move for now...

If you got a sense off humour, you are half way there..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

If you really want to tweak it to the max and only drive on the track you don't start with the engine.

1) Put in a roll cage!
2) Maybe you already have but in any case you need a suspension even capable of handling the stock ponies first.

Then the question is the purpose of the car. Track we know but serious racing or just having fun?

Together with the previous question there's the obvious one of how much loot you want to spend. There's no upper limit.

Not only to add questions I have some answers for them questions too:
Exhaust will need to match the engine. Plan the rest first.
No idea what air filters cost
The flywheels must be lightened. The more the better. My rear one is down from 7.5 kg to 920 g (not just by lightening)
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I agree with Micke

For the track, start with safety first: cage, tires/rims, safety equipment, seat, lightening the OEM body, fuel cell, battery, braided lines, glass out..plexi in, aftermarket ignition, suspension, all obviously while watching weight. Build all this stuff around the OEM engine.

and then build the best engine to move the weight

And if this is for serious racing, get your hands on the group or class rule book. In fact, I would not do anything until you read the rules. Meet the rules and race for real, you can always race out of class or just local track days if you wanted to.