PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Intake runner nylon spacers

Post by PietereQ »

Someone from other forum found it at swift forum:

"I did some tests with the nylon spacer and found out it reduce temperatures at the end of the runners by as much as 20 deg. this is huge. The plenum temperature droped by 10 deg. This was with a cultus manifold. Since the stock swift manifold has the CIV almost embeded into the plenum, I suspect temperature difference to be even greater with a stock swift unit.

The test was performed with the engine idling for 30 mins. Fan kicked in a couple of time, just to make sure engine temperature were the same as when you are waiting at the red light.

With the cultus manifold and steel gasket, I got a average reading of 91deg at the base of the runners with the laser pyrometer.

This is the reading I was getting at the plenum.

I teared the manifold apart and started the install. First thing you need to do is to enlarge the holes a little bit to make room for the nylon insulators

I can't push enough the fact that any aluminum surface must be decked to insure its flatness. Look at this flange after I got it decked for a few seconds. you can see it was seriously warped as only the center of the flange has been sanded. It will take several passes to bring everything back to normal. If you don't want a leak, bring your manifold at your local engine shop and have it decked. Don't forget to clean it up carefully before puting it back.

Here are the nylon insulators. Those have a nice shoulder that will keep the bolt from transfering heat to the flange. Note that the manifold will be 100% electricaly insulated. You will have to make sure the grounds that usually thread into the intake are relocated elsewhere on the head or you will have severe electrical issues.

It's mandatory to use a sealant to keep leakage away.

My favorite brand is the gasket eliminator 515 from Loctite. This is a special anaerobic sealant, meaning it will only dry and harden where there is no air.

time to reinstall the manifold, slide in the nylon spacer into place before tightening everything.

Same thing with the CIV spacer. Note how different the cultus design is. The CIV is held much farter from the plenum than on a stock manifold, creating a lesser warm spot than the swift one. The spacer will make a even greated difference on a stock swift intake.

When everything is done and said, it's time to check the efficiency of the spacers. Here is what I got at the base of the runners after leaving the engine to idle for 35 mins (fan kicked in several time also)

And finally..the plenum

The difference is incredible. you can put your hands anywhere on the intake, it will remain cold. Now try to keep your hand on a stock swift manifold with the engine idling for 30 mins. good luck!"

Whaddya think? Upgrade worth considering on a v6 or BS?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Honestly, who cares about the metal temp on the outside of the plenum when it's been idling for a week?

Spend your money/time on stuff that actually do something for the performance of the car.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

The V6 engines have rubber couplings between the head and the intake plenum so I am not sure how much nylon spaces would help to reduce plenum temperature.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

Temperature of the intake manifold does affect power. Many cars have an insulator type intake manifold gasket from the factory. The thick rubber on the v6 should have a similar effect.
Rice SAE
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Not only that Alfa already has thick black spacers between the runners and the heads, as well as the small rubber ridge in the rubber couplers (between plenum and runners).
Dr. Alban
sira
Gold
Gold

Post by sira »

All alfa petrol engines from 75/Milano has rubber spacers.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Then BS. Something started to tell me so when I posted this but wanted to heard a second opinion :lol: I guess only benefit would be in traffic, since at WOT plenum, runners etc, have temp. pretty much close to ambient on a N/A car.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The heat transferred into the air in the plenum is insignificant.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!