Oops

Post by Alfaboy1970 »

Didnt catch that. November is good.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Jims Book

Post by la_strega_nera »

Alfaboy1970 wrote:cant wait for Jims book it has been on order with amazon for a long time has anybody have an idea about when it will be available?
Amazon Just canceled my long standing pre-order :(
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Re: JK's v6 book

Post by Lancianut69 »

Any update on a release date yet?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Just had an exchange with the editor again. He sees the book being sold in July. it will be much larger than originally planned (~75kwords instead of 50k) and the sale price will reflect this increase. There will be no 24v install/dyno info as there is no time to do any of it at this time but there will be 24v head build info.
I am currently finishing the 12v build which will go in the car next month. Then there's break-in, so you're looking at map/dyno around end of year or so. I've said it before, this is is a very expensive enterprise and not very high in the 'to do' priority list.
As life goes, this car will be sold after the book is done, probably in parts, to return a fraction of what it cost to build. I can't afford to keep it, given the new 'green' regulations here, heavily penalizing pre-1995 cars, especially from 2liters up. Yearly road tax is now 750Euros with indications of rising again soon...The two 1.8T's pay less than half that notwithstanding their age as they are under 2liters.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Jim,

What will happen to the 24V engine project? Will it be sold off even before install and dyno?
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Don't know what the fate of the 24V 3liter engine will be. One possibility is to keep it around for some possible book update, another is to put it in a friend's car, break it in and then map/dyno or just sell it here or on ebay. Its a pity though, I expected to see good performance from this, 270hp for sure, streetable and emissions legal, considering it has Renault street cams.
Jim K.
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

JimGreek wrote:Just had an exchange with the editor again. He sees the book being sold in July. it will be much larger than originally planned (~75kwords instead of 50k) and the sale price will reflect this increase. There will be no 24v install/dyno info as there is no time to do any of it at this time but there will be 24v head build info.
I am currently finishing the 12v build which will go in the car next month. Then there's break-in, so you're looking at map/dyno around end of year or so. I've said it before, this is is a very expensive enterprise and not very high in the 'to do' priority list.
As life goes, this car will be sold after the book is done, probably in parts, to return a fraction of what it cost to build. I can't afford to keep it, given the new 'green' regulations here, heavily penalizing pre-1995 cars, especially from 2liters up. Yearly road tax is now 750Euros with indications of rising again soon...The two 1.8T's pay less than half that notwithstanding their age as they are under 2liters.
Jim K.
Thanks for the reply Jim.

So looking forward to this book coming out. I thought we paid a lot for road tax here, but that's extortionate!!!

Cheers

Darren
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

I bet every v6 alfaowner in the world is waiting for this book
Im no mechanic but have had gtv6 for 20 years and cant wait for the book to materialize
Theres no doubt Jim even though it may be an expensive exrecise it will be a BIG seller id buy it tomorrow and for good money
Lachy
Silver
Silver

Post by Lachy »

darryl longley wrote:I bet every v6 alfaowner in the world is waiting for this book
Im no mechanic but have had gtv6 for 20 years and cant wait for the book to materialize
Theres no doubt Jim even though it may be an expensive exrecise it will be a BIG seller id buy it tomorrow and for good money
I'll second that!
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

We would have already bought this and even if it does not have the 24V info yet, we are sure it still packed with good stuff.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

July seems so far away...
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

July seems so far away......
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Latest report: The car has completed ~700km with the new engine. As I said, the pistons are noisy when cold and the fast-road spec Catcams have lumpy idle (This improves when idle revs are increased to ~950-1000).
Because the country has serious financial problems, wages were cut by ~11%, VAT went from 19 to 21% and 98-100 octane pump gas went to 1.50-1.75Euros/liter. All of a sudden, I lost ~450Euros/month and having to drive the car for another ~2000km has suddenly become more expensive. Again, family necessities come first, cars, books and hobbies follow in their proper order -whichever it may be. Remapping/dyno sessions will be ~500Euros each now...
Bottom line...go for a nice vacation in July, there's plenty more you can do than play with cars! At the rate this book is going, world oil reserves will be all but depleted before you get to read it! :lol:
Text-wise its 95% done, waiting only for final observations regarding the last two map/dyno sessions, one in the present form and the last with the trackday cams.
I'll say it again, I am doing all this out of my own pocket and in case anyone is wondering, expected revenue from book sales will be about 1000Euros per yeardiminishing of course, year after year...You can see this is a joke compared to what I've spent on all parts so far, so money is definitely not the incentive here!
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:Latest report: The car has completed ~700km with the new engine. As I said, the pistons are noisy when cold and the fast-road spec Catcams have lumpy idle (This improves when idle revs are increased to ~950-1000).
Because the country has serious financial problems, wages were cut by ~11%, VAT went from 19 to 21% and 98-100 octane pump gas went to 1.50-1.75Euros/liter. All of a sudden, I lost ~450Euros/month and having to drive the car for another ~2000km has suddenly become more expensive. Again, family necessities come first, cars, books and hobbies follow in their proper order -whichever it may be. Remapping/dyno sessions will be ~500Euros each now...
Bottom line...go for a nice vacation in July, there's plenty more you can do than play with cars! At the rate this book is going, world oil reserves will be all but depleted before you get to read it! :lol:
Text-wise its 95% done, waiting only for final observations regarding the last two map/dyno sessions, one in the present form and the last with the trackday cams.
I'll say it again, I am doing all this out of my own pocket and in case anyone is wondering, expected revenue from book sales will be about 1000Euros per yeardiminishing of course, year after year...You can see this is a joke compared to what I've spent on all parts so far, so money is definitely not the incentive here!
Jim K.
I can relate to what you feel, we went through shit over here in 2002, unemployement over 20%, couldn't get your money out of the bank, banks going bankrupt with your money savings, plus the dollar went from one day to the other from 12 pesos to 33 pesos....but, if we came out there's no doubt you guys will too....just got to hang on to the boat tightly :wink:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

500 Euros a dyno - Holy crap ! . In comparison our dyno is equivalent to 65 Euros (R650) and thats two hours - and I thought that was high. You need to ship all that stuff out here and come put in the milaege. I can guarantee free dyno time here and accomodation. All you need is your elephant rifle.
My Ross pistons(3.7) are very noisy at cold hence I warm up car at fast idle at 2000rpm to reduce anywear through 'slap' as my cams are also pretty lumpy. Is there merit in this ? I have used only half a litre of oil over 4000km. Not bad.
Is there anything you need parts wise from the deep south that can help out ?