Evert
Gold
Gold

Bi-Turbo 3.0 V6 12V project

Post by Evert »

It has been a troublesome time for me.
I had to make some decisions which could cost me money/time/effort.

First, I nearly dropped this project due to political devellopments.
Because the Netherlands are a part of Europe (for those who didn't knew :wink: ), this country must obey to European legislation. The capital suffers from environmental problems (f.e. small dust particles) and they wanted to ban al cars build before 1992. Since my Milano adept is registrated in 1991 this means I would not be able to drive the car in my own town.

It took me some nights to think it over, Sell the lott and buy a GTA? Or build the engine. Just this weekend I decided to go through with this project.

I talked with my engineer which steps to take and which problems could occur and how to tackle them. We will take our time but with one thing I have a problem.

The airco has to go. Because the two A-A Intercoolers have to be build in before the race radiator there will be no room or cooling capacity left for the condensor.

Is this so? I want to keep the airco because I also drive the car to Italy in the summer. The engine has two intercoolers aprox 50 cm by 15 cm.

What if I place the intercooler directly under the bonnet (with louvres, yes there we go again).

I could really use some advice from the pressure guys...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

If you want to keep the A.C. you can easily fit a liquid to air intercooler. I have done it. There is plenty of room for this in a Milano, with a GTV6, it's a much bigger problem.

Greg
Evert
Gold
Gold

Post by Evert »

Greg Gordon wrote:If you want to keep the A.C. you can easily fit a liquid to air intercooler. I have done it. There is plenty of room for this in a Milano, with a GTV6, it's a much bigger problem.
Greg
I have read the pro and cons about A-A and L-A intercoolers. I always had a problem with the extra equipment and weight....
But then again, if weight was the problem I shoud lose the AC-unit.
Also don't want to use the Aquamist Water injection.

Could I use the same equipment as your compressor engine.
Do you have any recommendations about:
- (hot) compressor air/(cold) water exchanger
- (hot) water/(cold) ridingwind
- pump

I want to start slowely with only 0.3 bar (4,5 psi).pressure then build it up towards 0.5. End with max 0.7 bar (9-10 psi).
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

great project. you will turn heads in italy. cars above 2.0 in intaly are unusual.

What are you doing about exhaust manifolds? custom made? also what are you doing about ECU fuel wise, aftermarket?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Evert,the world belongs to the brave.. :D :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Evert, I am not saying liquid to air is better than air to air. They both have advantages. I am saying a liquid to air unit will fit with A.C. and fit easily in a Milano.

The extra weight and equipment with liquid to air is minimal, we are probably talking about 5-10 pounds more max.

My suggestion for a heat exchanger is to use an automotive radiator that will fit, or a custom unit. I have used a large engine oil cooler (suggested in Corky Bell's book) and found it to perform poorly compared to a radiator.

Greg
Evert
Gold
Gold

Post by Evert »

mjr wrote:great project. you will turn heads in italy. cars above 2.0 in intaly are unusual.

What are you doing about exhaust manifolds? custom made? also what are you doing about ECU fuel wise, aftermarket?
Yes It's all custom made.
See Also: http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... cb0c07f20f for more pictures.
The ECU will be an Emerald.