Jose I
Gold
Gold

Front mounted tranny

Post by Jose I »

Hey guys I've been slowly putting together my project verde and have every intention of installing a front mounted 2001 M3 tranny 6 speed manual, I can get my hands on one for $1400, I've never done this before but I'm not scared of a challenge. I know there's going to be more money spent on rear end & fabbing shaft parts & motor to tranny adaptors. but I don't think it will be any cheaper ordering a straight cut box from europe ( box+shipping) :shock: $$$$ cha ching.

Any info on the subject will be greatly appreciated. i.e. pics of simular build,rear diff options,other tranny options ect.

the reason I'm doing this is I want to be able to use the power I'm expecting my engine to put out. (350-420 HP)
Drive'm Hard
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Re: Front mounted tranny

Post by ar4me »

Ongoing discussion in the gearbox section: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3265
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Jes how's your cars tranny doing with all thatpower behind it?
Drive'm Hard
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Don't have a lot of miles on it yet. While I'm waiting for Andrew Garcia to finish up my race prepped transaxle, I'm running a stock clutch, gearbox, and LSD. As expected the clutch didn't last long, but I have a 4-puck clutch from Andy (Performatek) ready to go in. That should get it back up and running and hold the power - at least for some time.
Jes
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Guys, I think the challenge lies in keeping the faith with these transaxle cars. By that I mean, if you put a box behind the engine, the car immediatley looses its original claim to fame as a transaxle which is why you own one in the first place. It might still be an Alfa but the magic is gone..

My point here is. By all means settle for the power you want (or think you want) but don't proceed until you also develop the necessary plans to use a transaxle for your transmission whether this is a modified original , hand made for the job or adapting one off the shelf from left field.

If you do that you will have a high powered transaxle made just like the Gods or Rome intended .. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

MD wrote:Guys, I think the challenge lies in keeping the faith with these transaxle cars. By that I mean, if you put a box behind the engine, the car immediatley looses its original claim to fame as a transaxle which is why you own one in the first place. It might still be an Alfa but the magic is gone..

My point here is. By all means settle for the power you want (or think you want) but don't proceed until you also develop the necessary plans to use a transaxle for your transmission whether this is a modified original , hand made for the job or adapting one off the shelf from left field.
I think that is a highly personal view and opinion. Although, I don't have any plans for a front-mounted gearbox I can appreciate the challenge and benefit of doing as Jose plans (and others, mostly SAs I suppose, have done).
Jes
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jes

Personal it is for sure but it is also factual. A converted front box transaxle is now not a transxale but an orphan. If that's what somebody wants, fine but why re-invent the wheel and not start with a car of that configuration in the first place?
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

+1. As the headline title says, The Home of the Alfa Romeo Transaxle.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

All in friendliness:

I was referring to this part:
MD wrote:...a transaxle which is why you own one in the first place. It might still be an Alfa but the magic is gone..
That is not factual, but highly personal and subjective. Again, personally, I have no plans to go down the path of a front mounted gear-box, as I, like you, think of it as a fundamental part of the Milano/GTV6/Alfetta, and I like to stay true to the design philosophy of the car. Though, I still appreciate what people taking that path are looking for. I see nothing wrong with it, and it may still be the wisest move given the power Jose expects/wants to extract. You were beasically suggesting not to proceed until he has plans for a transaxle that can take the heat.
How about converting to outboard rear brakes? Is that a no-no too? :wink: :wall:

I guees it is a bit like the stock vs. modified discussion...

Jes
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Believe me I would love to keep the transaxle I love and enjoy the weight distribution of these cars, and I also enjoy freeking out other cars guys who've never seen a milano gtv6 engine/tranny layout :shock: I love that look I'ts part of the perks of owning one of these cars.
Then Again I trying to put to use all the power I sure I'll be getting out of this engine. Any suggestions on how I can do that and keep the Transaxle I'M ALL EARS.
I've never broken one of these boxes, I've seen someone beat on there tranny so that it wouldn't take reverse gear, and I've seen someone put the drive shaft through the floor of the car while they were doing donuts, and I've personaly have torn apart a rear guiblio. that's it that's as far as my detroying drive line parts expirience has gone.

So tell me we're a bunch of smart guys here what can we do or what can we have fabbed that will bring these trannys to the next level????
Drive'm Hard
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I saw on the Swedish site alfapower.nu that some were contemplating a Corvette transaxle. Though, I haven't read-up on it lately.
Jes
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jes,
Gotta say first up to be sure it is clear, I understand and respect your view point. No question.

If you examine my signature it says "Transaxle Alfas move my world". What that means is that I am biased up to my eyeballs. I have narrow and blinkered vision. I got tramline steering. I'm stuck in the groove. I am screwed. I am addicted.. :D

Thanks for your viewpoints.I am sure others are like minded too..

MD
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

MD wrote:I got tramline steering.
Haha, got a good chuckle out of that one :lol:
Jes
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

I do think the Corvette transaxle is the way to go.
I keep looking for one but have not seen one come up. but the layout seems right the drive line in the front and the axles in the back.
almost any other transaxel I have looked at have the axles coming out the front of the box.
also it seems that the most of boxes are just as weak.
I think the newest Corvette also moved the clutch to the back. the rest had the clutch in the front.
this is the same box also used on the v10 vipers so I do not think one will bust.
and a 6speed would be nice.
the box is a T65 Tremec with the lsd diff bolted to it
1987 black Milano Verde
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

I say if you want to talk about turning a Transaxle to front mount feel free to do it on another site, not on
"The Home of The Transaxle"...

John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw