Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Supercharged 4 cyl Milano drag race video

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, as many of you know, I have been working on a 4cyl supercharger kit for the Alfa Spider for a couple years. I am glad to say it's nearly ready for release. The test kit has about 8000 miles on it and has performed very well.

Today we made a drag race video on a private road against a hot 3.0 car. The grey Milano my dad is driving has a 2.0 Nord with the prototype supercharger kit. Here are the specs:

2.0 Nord, stock except for 8.5:1 JE pistons. Stock ports, stock intake and exhaust manifold. It's essentially a Spider engine with an Alfetta block to fit the Milano/75 engine bay. It has a custom wide ratio gear box with the 3.55 ring and pinion. The supercharger is putting out about 9psi of intercooled boost, of course it has water injection and SDS engine managment.

The camera car is a Milano Verde. It has a 3.0 with "S" cams, "S" pistons, headers and an ECU upgrade (Pandora's box). It also has a full Ansa exhaust. This was the hot setup not that long ago.

I was driving the 3.0 and as you can see I didn't use a super aggressive start. It's not my car and I didn't want to blow a guibo. Still, there is a moment there where it looks like the 3.0's strong low end torque will allow it to pull ahead.

Keep in mind, the supercharged car is not carrying the camera kid, and in addition to the lighter engine, it has no power steering or A.C. so it's quite a bit lighter. This means the power difference is not quite a great as the video would lead you to think.

In spite of the weak start, and the extra passenger the results are pretty conclusive. I think the race would have turned out the same regardless of starting techniques or camera kid location.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Supercharged 4 cyl Milano drag race video

Post by Greg Gordon »

MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Wow that was ...um...decisive.

I don't know if I'm happy about that or not as I'm currently building my 3.0 (actually moving along now...I started a year and a half ago).

My compliments to the camera kid :D

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, I am happy about it! In any case, things could be evened up a bit by giving the 3.0 car a 4.10 gear box and some head work with bigger runners. Reduce the weight by sacrificing the power steering and the A.C. and I think it would be back in the game. Then again, the supercharged 2.0 is only at the very beginning of its development. We have not even dyno tuned it yet or seriously cranked up the boost.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Greg that is brilliant, mate. I love it!!!!!

So now can we see the Minimalistly Blown 2.0 against a blown 2.5? PLEASE!?!?!

I don't know about anyone else on the forum, but much respect to a man that has the Cojones to stand up and decide to tackle this shit head on. Finally some good forced induction kit stuff for Alfas.
Having spent much time around proper custom, race oriented stuff, I love the ease with which your stuff works. I know that the custom stuff will always have the edge, but I can't justify the cost these day!! My haven't I changed my tune in 5 years!? Ahh age!

As soon as I crack an airline, Im gonna get a blown V6 in my car!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Jules,

With everything equal a blown 2.5 will easily outrun the blown 2.0. I actually have a customer near by with a 2.5 running 10psi an intercooler and SDS. Both engines even have the same compression ratio, 8.5:1. Trust me, I have driven both cars, it's not even close.

Now with both engines running the MP62 supercharger up near max blow, the 2.5 would have about 12psi after the intercooler and the 2.0 about 18psi. That would be an interesting race. I would still bet on the 2.5 in a straight line, but around a track the 2.0 would dominate.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

Just wondering how much boost can you run on a 10:1 4-valve head? Or a 10.5:1 2-valve head? I'm assuming very low PSI on the 10.5:1 2-valve head, maybe 5-7 PSI max intercooled right?

I like your kit because all I need to do for smog is to cover up the S/C, put the stock intake hose back on, and undo the belt. Worse case, just unbolt the S/C.

A 24V, GTA cams and 7 PSI, hmmm sounds like 270 rwhp to me.
Dr. Alban
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Zamani,

I have no real experience with the 24 valve engine. However if it was a 12 valver with 10:1 compression I would want to keep the boost down to 5-6 psi with an intercooler and water injection.

Greg