MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Inlet Manifold Design

Post by MD »

So how do you think the experts became experts ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Mats wrote:I could not agree less. If you're talking real experts and not internet experts.
The concept is true regardless of qualifications or experience.
Now we have complex computer modeling software, but obviously in the past it was make it and see.
Obviously with manifolds, extractors and camshafts, unless they have some method of variation built into them, they will only be 'right' during a very narrow operating range.
I may be barking up the wrong tree with my manifold concept and Alfa Romeo may have got it spot on. But looking at what a whole bunch of other manufacturers have done in the last 20 years suggests to me that there are opportunities for improvement to taken advantage of.

With the MR2, I don't know if that manifold design is worth a pinch of shite, but I couldn't stop the ideas from rattling around inside this tin can I call a brain, and the noise was keeping me up at night, so I built it.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD wrote:So how do you think the experts became experts ?
Studying, learning from other experts experience (AKA reading papers and such) and then maybe by doing some experiments in fields that has not yet been fully examined empirically by others.

I'm not saying practical test doesn't have merit but random shots are not really a good way to spend your time and money.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Mats wrote:
MD wrote:So how do you think the experts became experts ?
Studying, learning from other experts experience (AKA reading papers and such) and then maybe by doing some experiments in fields that has not yet been fully examined empirically by others.

I'm not saying practical test doesn't have merit but random shots are not really a good way to spend your time and money.
Our cars would be much more expensive if the factory engineers would use the random shot method really...
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Mats wrote:Studying, learning from other experts experience (AKA reading papers and such) and then maybe by doing some experiments in fields that has not yet been fully examined empirically by others.

Agreed!
But using the original Toyota manifold as a starting point, it wouldn't be hard to make a new manifold that works better. Making a manifold that works better and can actually be fitted on the engine and in the car, while allowing for a degree of flexibility for maintenance, well that's a completely different box of frogs.
fedezyl wrote:Our cars would be much more expensive if the factory engineers would use the random shot method really...
I don't know what the 75 V6 cost new in other countries relative to average national income. But here in Australia the Potenziata's were a very expensive car. MD or others that have been around Alfa's longer than me should be able to give an accurate figure.
And there in lies my pain with these cars. For what they cost when new, and compared to what other manufactures were providing back in the day, the 1990 Alfa 75 V6 was under developed, in my opinion.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Bit of an old thread but this has got to be the best intake manifold design seen on a transaxle . This car does run a new modern 3.2 gta motor . I also saw the price tag of the sale at 75 000 Euro . :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (167.88 KiB) Viewed 10529 times
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

That price is not over the top :wink: ... the entire car is done as beautiful as the engine. Almost everything on the car is specially build. Even the bodyparts are all lightweight carbonfibre. Most extreme race SZ in the world.

My absolute favourite SZ next to Marc's.. 8) Just needs road registration and some lights and stuff to make it perfect. :twisted:
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Edit : moved to gearbox section . :oops:
Last edited by kevin on Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Another airbox on a 75 . Also very neat .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.66 KiB) Viewed 10493 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Looks heavy and possibly not tight (as in you need an air filter).
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Think it has induvidials and those guys mostly don't use filters.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Not using filters is a really bad idea. What if some one goes off track, kicks up a lot of dirt, and you run through the cloud of dirt and dust. Imagine silica in your cylinders scraping the liner wall.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, internal sandblasting of the piston, head, valves et al. :?
Running without filter is a sure way to loose power quickly.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

Don't like it either.....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Pic of half space frame 75 half original . Very large airfilter which I hope it does have a filter in it . Some ideas for Alfa75racer :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (218.14 KiB) Viewed 10263 times