fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Alfa 33 16v Head work

Post by fedezyl »

Gentlemen, i'm seeking some sound advice regarding some head porting on my 33.

I bought a couple of complete heads in Spain last february in my quest for performance, and i'm looking on information on how to work these heads.
I was able to source a performance shop in argentina (Balestrini) he's a very reknown person that prepares many of the top racing cars in argentina, he will provide the camshafts (custom profile), valves, mechanical tappets (a la AHM), and I would do the head work here (to reduce cost).

I'm looking for advice on port diameter, where to take out material, port shape (velocity vs flow) etc, any good book to source information about porting would be good also if any of you guys can reccomend me anything, any programs I can use to simulate port shapping too.

Thanks! :twisted:
Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: Alfa 33 16v Head work

Post by Duk »

I can't offer specifics for your heads but I highly reccomend reading from these guys:
http://mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm
http://www.gofastnews.com/board/technical-articles/
Heaps to read but some very well explained theory that can be applied to any 4 stroke piston engine in that lot, especially the Motor Man bit where he adds "play dough" to a port while on a flow bench to see how much can be added before actual flow is reduced.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

forget about motoman and his urban legends :lol:
give some fotos and give some measurements + camshaft data most important places to measure :
port entry ?
smallest cross sectional area ?
valve throat ?
valve d?
intake manifold entry and tapper ?
ill make some ballpark calcs and some simulation for u just give complete info with pics :D
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Thanks for the help, i'll get on the pictures and measurements in the next few days and see what data you can come out with regarding porting.
As for camshaft data, that will be a bit more difficult to provide since I haven't bought it yet... :D
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

contact Adie Hawkins at www.ahmotorsports.co.uk :wink:

he knows how to make a fast 33. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:contact Adie Hawkins at http://www.ahmotorsports.co.uk :wink:

he knows how to make a fast 33. 8)

I know he does! sadly in a way too expensive way for my 3d world pay....

:cry:
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

A guy over here put a set of webers on the 16v from a 33 1.7QV from -90. i believe he made 181 bhp. don't think they did very much on the engine, just a basic overhaul with new bearings and stuff. the carbs don't bolt on, you would have to make adapters to fit them.

there is a movie on youtube from him somewhere... :)
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Yes I saw it, I looked for some more details about his engine and he has custom cams, mild porting, lightened flywheel and that was pretty much it....the secret is mostly on the cams and porting, the cams sourcing, valves and mechanical tappets I have it sorted, it just the porting that i'm looking for some more specific information before starting