volpebob2
Silver
Silver

Quaife for Transaxle

Post by volpebob2 »

I'm new to this forum, but am very interested in the prospect of obtaining Quaife diffs. I own some auto repair shops in St. Louis , MO, including an Alfa/Exotic/Race car repair shop, and I race a GTV-6 with a LSD transaxle. The Quaife has many advantages. I'll commit to 3 - 4 units right now. I'm sure I can move more units also, as the price is great - about wholesale. I've installed several Quaife units on other types of cars, and the going price (part only) is $1,100 - $1,300. Install is a snap.
Bob Volpe, volpebob2@aol.com
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

qua-what?

Post by junglejustice »

What does it do?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

A new twist in getting power down. I beleive there are advantages over a disc driven LSD.

Try..
http://www.importperformance.com/quaife/

They are pretty hot wth the import crowd. Also gaining popularity with other machinary. Expensive though when you could get a decent Milano transaxle with an LSD.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

jj: It's a variation of a Torsen diff.

There's been talk of group buys before but to get 30 guys to couch up that quite big stack of bills is not really easy.
Talking to the crowd over here I'm not convinced that the gain is more then marginal over a prepped stock LSD.

What about Gripper? They list Alfa transaxles as a application and they let you choose ramp angles and such, sounds better to me cause we can buy then one at a time if we want. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

There's been more than enough talk about the Quaife LSD in the recent past. It is WAY better than the std factory LSD even when this last one is correctly adjusted, as the Quaife DOES NOT WEAR or require readjustment! You install it and that's the last time you'll need to see it (unless you break something). The factory ZF NEEDS regular readjustment.How often, depends on actual use and TYPE of use.It starts to wear as soon as you turn the first corner. Its not easy to set the correct preload,it may take from one to several hours, ACTUAL diff work (without the removal and refitting process which is another good hour and a half to two hours in itself) depending on how lucky you are as you're working with clearances in the order of .01 to .02mm. You can see that the slightest wear will change the clearance! The LSD still WORKS, but you can definitely feel the difference, at least in the track! Just ask Ron Simons! I adjusted 3 diffs for 47% lockout last time I was there and the man was impressed at the way the cars behaved in the 'Ring. Two months later he notices the deterioration, which means that readjusment is again required!! You all understand that we can't make a hobby of adjusting these things on a regular basis. The next bigger ZF LSD as fitted to some big BMW's contains a stiff spring disc, which maintains the preload for a MUCH longer time than our diffs.It's a simple yet ingenious solution which CAN also be adopted in our case by someone with enough know-how. Why not forget about all this then and get a Quaife? At this point, I will renew my plea for a group order and put myself down for at least 2 units. What apparently has to be worked out, is HOW we can send a collective down payment to Quaife to get things rolling. Maybe interested members can start a thread and take it from there?
Regards,
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

But how many that have a LSD now hav actually had a problem with it?
What I mean is, does anyone of you have a problem with the inside wheel spinning due to a worn LSD?

You might want to check your suspension geometry first before buying a VERY expensive diff. Cure the cause and not the symptom.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Well,

Post by junglejustice »

And then there is Phantom Grip - that is also making good headlines....
A different pricipal than Torson, but an "LSD"-like "fix" if you will....
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Has anyone gotten a quote from Quaife on their LSD for the Alfa transaxle? Does anyone have the contact person within Quaife who provided the quote?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

HEY JESS!!!

Post by junglejustice »

Welcome to the party... I see you made it....
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Does anyone know the minimum quantity Quaife required to start manufacturing of the LSD?

Jes
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

The minimum quantity would be 30 pcs and they would cost around 1000 euros a piece. I've heard it's great but never driven a car with one myself. I've sent a diff to them (and got it back) but for me it's too much of a risk to be responsible for 30 pcs.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

We discussed this issue both on "this forum" as well as offline and at our gettogether by the ring.

1 k€ is about affordable. If I didn't have a LSD I'd go for it immediately. If there's a group buy I'll still consider it.

However, I don't believe the car will be much faster. I'm with Mats that the OE unit works pretty well. I do not have any problems at all. I didn't even tune it like Jim suggested. That will be my next step.

About the wear of the Quaiffes I only have one experience.
The last race I did we had a FWD with a Quaiffe. It worked like a dream for the practise, qualifying and 25% of the race. After this there was NO LSD at all. I don't know what happened and didn't talk to the team since. Probably the unit broke totally. This was the first race with the unit. Expensive km's.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

According to the Quaife link above the LSD comes with some form of limited lifetime warranty, even when raced.

If the Quaife LSD is as good as it appears, I would also be interested. Though, the logistics of a group buy across multiple continents appears daunting...

A side note: The application list actually lists one for 164 and 155 - $1295.

Jes
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hi everybody, my laptop at home went 'belly-up' yesterday, so if anyone is trying to send me something, please use my office address: dkartalamakis@haicorp.com I will let you know when you can revert to the jkv6... again. Thanks for the use of this space for the contingency!
Regards,
Jim K.
PS: Since it looks like all my data may be lost following eventual
formatting, can the members who have written to me in the
past drop me a line with their addresses?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Gah, never heard about back-up? :shock:
He said, even though he does not back-up his own data (knock on wood).
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!