GarthW
Verde
Verde

In the build...? Anything new being done..?

Post by GarthW »

Hi all, just wanted to anyone is anyone up to their elbows in grease working on a new project at all..? Would be nice to see what else is happening out there..?

I know i mentioned in the (Post some vids) thread, but have been laid up due to having some extensive surgery, a week before i had to go in i had some valves in the heads bends themselves, so i'm out of the game for awhile...but when i'm back i look forward to showing you all the next stage of development.

Regards,
Garth/boosted6

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Re: In the build...? Anything new being done..?

Post by Duk »

Dude! No good going in for surgery. Wish you all the best with that.
Dude! No good bending valves. I wish you all the best with that too.

My project has slowed pretty bad, mainly due to a lack of enthusiasm :( .

Having said that, I have started my rear brake upgrade but I'm waiting for my Wilwood rotors to get here. Rear calipers will be/are series 4 RX7 turbo. A decent sized single piston sliding caliper that goes over a vented rotor and has an actual working handbrake mechanism 8) . Doesn't even need adjustment and uses pads that are bigger than the ones on a push bike.
Another mod is my spherical plain bearing main DeDion pivot that I'm making. Nearly finished it, but like so many things that I make, success tends to come down to enthusiasm and time (at work :wall: ).
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Still building the 12v 3.0 for the GTV6....getting closer now though
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

I forgot to add that I've been looking at adding an extra idler pulley between the 2 cam sprockets to improve belt wrap. The way I see it, I should be able to get the cams to have an extra 4 teeth of contact each. Standard contact is 10 for the left and 14 for the right.
It really was a crap initial design and layout.............
Last edited by Duk on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well, things have been getting a little on the boring side here so last week I had a brain waive. I put up a "wanted hot brunnette for overnight excercises" sign in a phone box outside a gay bar with JK's phone number attached.....so far so good.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wall:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Garth,

I have a cool twin turbo project going on. I will send you a pm with a link. This will probably be the last car I build for a while due to a major change in my career.

Greg
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Greg is this going to be the ultimate PD supercharger vs turbo comparison????
I'm thinking sequential twin :wink: :wink: :wink:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Nope, it's not a sequential twin, it's basically a Callaway kit on a Milano Verde. Well, that's how it started anyway. It does retain the Callaway intercooler, but that's about all. It has IHI turbos one size larger, forged pistons, and different turbo manifolds. Performance should be about the same as an equivalent supercharged engine, less low end, probably a little more mid range, and about the same at the high end.

Greg
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

LMAO@Md's response!! hehe funny as!! :D :D

Duk, thankyou for the very kind words and damn your right into it. i mean the extra teeth on the cam pulleys is mad mate!!
Can you shed more light on the de-dion pivot..? Sounds very cool..

Greg the amount of work which has gone into that car so far is just amazing, extensive to say the least!!! Wow cant wait to see it all up and going, well done. 8)

MR2 Zig, what exactly you doing with the 12v 3.0..? :)

Are you going to boost it...?

Or a tough N/A build with high comp pistons and stuff..?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks Garth. Glad some bastard appreciated it. Sometimes in a sea of technical text, a bit of light relief is just what the doctor ordered. With Barry gone and Jim K only occasionaly checking in, it seems it's left to me to hold the looney end up. Cheers. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

GarthW wrote: Can you shed more light on the de-dion pivot..? Sounds very cool..

Nothing amazing, just the same sort of thing that was used in the SZ's. Greg promotes the use of them. I figured I'd machine up my own pieces. The 'heavey duty' bearing I used cost a whole $22. I'll do a drawing with dimension and post them when I know it works. Will be good for those with lathe access.
GarthW wrote:Greg the amount of work which has gone into that car so far is just amazing, extensive to say the least!!! Wow cant wait to see it all up and going, well done. 8)
I'm feeling left out here :wink: . Is this intended to be another string in your bow Greg or just a personal project?
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yeah DUK if you dont mind that would be wicked, my mechanic can spin up anything on his lathe...so big notable difference with the upgrade..? Must be huh..? :roll:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Greg speeks highly of them. Good enough for me :D
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Garth, thanks!

Duk, it's not a personal project, it's a customer car. It may very well be the same "Callaway kit" in the link you posted. However upon close examination it turned out to be a Callaway intercooler with a lot non-Callaway parts. For example the turbo headers were not 304 stainless like Callaway used, and they don't even come close to bolting up the heads. The pipes don't line up with the exhaust ports. Since I had to make my own turbo manifolds I redesigned them which moved the turbos location. This makes all the other pipes (which were not stainless anyway and not welded properly for this type of project) useless. In short I have had to re-make the entire thing. I will pm you the link, but it's not my car so I can't spread it around too much.

Greg